Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Delta wing design

Old 01-07-2006, 03:27 AM
colmo-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delta wing design

I want to build a delta wing sailplane, one of those with no fuselage, but I really know nothing about it's aerodynamics. Any link that can give me that info??

colmo
Old 01-07-2006, 06:06 AM
davidcort

Default RE: Delta wing design

Here you have a very interesting link. If you read it carefully you sould be able to desing an build you own flying wing. Anyway I recommend you to beging by some popular model like Zagi.
I hope it wil be interesting for you.
David

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/flywing1.htm
Old 01-07-2006, 01:11 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Delta wings are pretty much only efficient at higher speeds like with slope flying. I see you're living in Florida where, last I heard, there wasn't many options for slope flying. Did you intend for this to be used for thermal flying? If so then I'd suggest going for a flying wing instead.

The problem with a delta is the very low aspect ratio that creates high drag at the slower flying speeds.

In the meantime you can check out a sloper delta at .... http://www.mugi.co.uk/ . Click on the Mugi Evo for links to plans and techniques.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
colmo-RCU

Thanks a lot, and Bruce, I alternate living beteen Florida and Bogota, Colombia, where we have plenty slopes. Besides, I was also planning on installing a norvel 0.61 to fly at pur flying field

Thanks a lot

colmo
Old 02-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Wayne H

check out the "giant Delta" at www.crazyherb.com

I have built several of these planes and they fly great! Easy to build with the foam house insulation that you can purchase at any Home Depot or Lowe's.