Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Male mold

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 01:00 AM
Topggu
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Male mold

I need to vac-u-form a new canopy for an older plane. The one I have has a small crack, so I thought I would pour a male mold inside of it and then pull a new one off the male mold. Does anyone know what I should use to pour into the original canopy? I worry about epoxy as I'm afraid it will heat up enough to destroy the original canopy. Can some one suggest what I should use?
Thanks
Old 11-23-2002, 03:23 AM
Mike James

Default Male canopy plug

If you don't want to spend a lot of time on the exterior finish, you could pour in plaster of Paris. (or something similar) I've even used quick-setting concrete for one. It was heavy, but had a smooth finish.

Various composite manufacturers sell a variety of "mix and pour" materials that might work for you. Try http://www.fibreglast.com/ or http://www.acp-composites.com/ or http://www.cstsales.com/
Old 11-23-2002, 04:07 PM
Topggu

Default molds

Thank you for your info.....and a great web site! I thought about plaster or hydracal but wonder if they would produce moisture when the hot plastic hits them during the vac-u-forming process? Or, they would break due to their brittleness? What do you think? This type of mold would be far more economical that other types of materials I been looking at. Also thanks for the links.
Mike :thumbup:
Old 11-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Mike James

Default Hmmm

I'm afraid I can't answer that one, since the one I made using that method was only used for a couple of canopies, then discarded after I made a proper plug.

I think you could lightly glass the surface to seal it, if you're concerned. ...more sanding though.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Topggu

Default OK

Thats a good idea.....I only want one anyway and I want to add frame detail anyway, so I'll try glass or epoxy resin for a finish
Mike