Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

FINISHING EPOXY - ORANGE PEEL

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

FINISHING EPOXY - ORANGE PEEL

Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINISHING EPOXY - ORANGE PEEL

Isn't it amazing -as we all progress in our own projects - how the questions indeed "change"

Well, we now have a really nice system for applying an very "close" amount of part A & part B. In fact, even tough I have read that it's not economical to reuse your application brush - (because the cleaner is too expensive)

I find that a couple of oz of ACETONE in a glass jar (with lid) stays very useable.

ANYWAY, well, now I see what ORANGE PEEL is. 1)How did it happen?, and 2)how do I get rid of it?, and 3) better yet - how do I eliminate it?

marwen
Old 01-22-2006, 04:22 PM
iaclmac

Default RE: FINISHING EPOXY - ORANGE PEEL

Orange peel eh? Well you do have a problem. I think you would be best in stripping it off and starting again. It seems everytime I have run into that problem there has been an incompatibility between the top coat and the base coat
Old 01-22-2006, 04:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Orange peel in the glass and resin or in the first coat of paint on top of the resin?

If it's the resin only then you're likely just seeing the weave showing through. This is normal. You need to apply a second coat of resin and let that cure hard and then sand it down to smooth out any ripples or runs where there is any and to dull the gloss off the resin even where it's smooth. Then do a primer, sand that and finally put on the color.

If it's with the paint applied over top then it's often because your spray paint is too thick in consistency or you're applying it too thinnly so it dries before it can flow out. It all comes down to the paint not flowing in either case. The cause may be one or the other or a combination of the two.

As for stripping it off that all depends. Orange peel is USUALLY just a consistency problem. However if you are getting more of a fish eye or blistering that you think is due to a reaction or non bond between the paint and the base then I'd agree that you want to strip it all off. Otherwise you can just wet sand the first coat down so it's smooth (that means sanding off most of it to get rid of the peel texture) and then spray again.

PS: If you didn't sand the epoxy so it was all a nice even dull finish then you probably should strip off the paint and start over with some wet sanding to dull the epoxy, Otherwise the paint won't have a good grip on the surface.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 PM
kdheath

Orange peel is a paint application problemand wouldn't occur in glassing. Look at the rind of an orange. That's what the paint will look like. Orange peel can be sanded down and repainted. Thin the paint some more and apply lighter coats. Two thin coats are always better than one thick one.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:42 PM
marwen1

I only got it in the lower section of the tail area when I appied a little too much epoxy as a second coat

marwen

thank you guys
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Sethhunter

Another possible cause of problems with finishes over epoxy is amine blush. Amine is a waxy substance that rises to the surface of some epoxies. I've had it cause marine polyurethane not cure over West System epoxy. Good idea to clean the epoxy carefully before sanding or painting.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 AM
marwen1

What happenned is that I probably applied a little "left-over" finishing epoxy while laying down some more glass. There was a little left in the mixture, so rather than waste it, (not thinned) I put a little dab onto an area that had not completely cured. It was sandable a couple of days later.

I am using z-poxy, and - as I said, it wasn't thinned. I haven't done anything to this plane in almost a week now so I think I'll try to force some "wrong" happenings on some scratch balsa or better yet , on an old model that won't make any difference.

thanx

marwen