Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

First scratch build project?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

First scratch build project?

Old 11-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Arni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First scratch build project?

Hi there!

I really want to build a Me 109 from Dave Platt plans but it has occurred to me that this plane might be a bit of a handful to build as my first scratch build project. There seems to be a lot of guys with loads of experience in this forum so now I ask this classic question:

What plane should I start with?

Greetings from the arctic circle,

Arni
Old 11-28-2002, 06:59 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You haven't given us enough information. I'm planning on upgrading my flying skills by beginning pattern practice. I'm building from plans a Fred Reese Cloud Dancer. The Joe Bridy Kaos is also a simply plane to plans build.

John
Old 11-29-2002, 11:41 AM
Arni

Thanks, John.

I am looking for a relatively simple model with fixed undercarriage and maybe a straight wing to make the wing easier to build.

I have built a few kits so I'm not a complete beginner but would like to take the next step. Models are very expensive here and then we have this VERY long and dark winter so I thought that I could save some money and become a better modeller as we have enough time to build during the winter!
Old 11-29-2002, 01:40 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ercoup, low straight wing, trike uc, would be a good place to start.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Default scrtach build

Arni,

I would consider building a model that I designed, the Ryan's Rebel. It was published in the 2002 December issue of R/C Modeler. Plans are avaliable from them. It is a very simple model to build, straight sided fuse, straight wing, etc.. It is perfect for first time scratch builders. It will cost a total of $175.00 to build, not including engine & radio.

Wingsspan is 80", weight is 12 lbs 4 ozs with a G-38. Can be flown with many different engines including weedeater conversion engines. Oh yea, and it flies great. Let me know if you want more info.

Ryan
Old 11-30-2002, 03:38 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arni,
There are just 1,000's of plans out there that meet your criteria.
I've been using RCM plans.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...=products:ab35

Ryan's Rebel sounds interesting also. If I get the Cloud Dancer finished by spring, I want to look at it.

So many plans, so little time!

John
Old 12-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Arni

Thank you very much for the information! The Rebel sounds interesting as a first project
Old 12-05-2002, 05:05 AM
omcusnr

Arni,

Probabbly as important as what you pick to build, is what you have to build it with. Scratch building is a LOT of fun, but is also more work. EVERY part is made by you!!

I would recommend that if you don't have these already, you seriously consider them as a minimum:

belt sander/grinder
variable speed scroll saw
drill press
(a rotary tool/grinder is handy too)

sanding bars, blocks, & rounds.

A vacuum forming tool is a good idea, unless you buy plans from someone who has "short kits" (plastic/glass parts) available too.

Several plan sellers have, or can point you to laser cutters, and can supply parts mail order.

Also, Rich Uravitch has a real good book on how to get started scratch building, available from Model Airplane News.

I don't have any experience w/ foam or glass, so there may be tools there that I don't know about.

These are not ablolutly necessary, but make the job go faster. Have Fun!!