Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

airfoil choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 PM
dyrbr_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airfoil choices

On a lightweight aerobatic 85" wingspan plane can you run two different tail surfaces airfoils? For the horizontal stab I would like to keep the servo mounted in the stab for perfect geometry. Does the rudder have to be the same airfoil or can I run a thinner airfoil? I really hate to run an airfoil as thick as a NACA 0013 for a rudder, but it is what I would like to use as the stab just because I need the thickness. Any better suggestions on what airfoil to use for the tailfeathers?

Steve
Old 02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: airfoil choices

It should not make any difference at all especially if you stay in the same class of airfoil such as a NACA 0012, 0010 etc. you should be able to go as fat or thin as you like. you can combine as well, such as running a NACA 0014 at the root and going to a NACA 0012 at the tip using a program such as Compufoil to calculate the ribs for you.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually you don't even need to go that far. Although it would look odd if you use the Naca on the stab and a flat plate on the fin. But it would fly just fine.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:35 AM
HasseL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used SD8020 for the stab and a NACA airfoil on fin/rudder on my 80" CAP232. The SD8020 is supposed to be less prone to stall with large rudder deflections which means that you will have more effective rudders. The CAP flies well so the airfoils seem to work.

Regards

Hans