Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

TurboCAD on sale

Old 02-12-2006, 12:15 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default TurboCAD on sale

It's been brought to my attention in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3898582/tm.htm]1/2A forum[/link] that a couple of outlets are selling the non current version for very attractive prices.

The two sites so far that are selling it for $20 or less are.....
http://www.overstock.com/sm-turbocad..._ti-82124.html
http://software-blowouts.com/tude92wifl8s.html?=google

These are both the version 9.2 which are actually 2 generations old now. But I know from using my own 9.2 that the 3D stuff is fairly easy to use in this version and the 2D is great. A real hobby priced bargain in my books. Don't let the price fool you. This program is everything you need to draw plans for your models.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TurboCAD on sale

They must have made some radical changes for the 3D stuff. I have version 7 and 3D drawing was a painfull learning process. Gave up. I dont really think I need it anyway RC. I use alibre occasionally at work. It was painfull also but I was able to struggle thru it to produce some decent drawings. 3D is really nice when doing virtual builds and checking parts fit. Either way, thats definately a great price. You noobies should jump on it. Is the help pretty good in this version?
Edwin
Old 02-12-2006, 09:00 PM
BMatthews

I played with the 3D a little in Ver7 and like you found it to be more trouble than it was worth. When I first got Ver9 I drew up an airfoil and then swept it in a 3D circle, hit another button to render a surface onto it assign a light source and found myself staring at what looke remarkably like the annular outer ring of a high bypass turbofan engine. The whole exercise took about 5 minutes and did not require the use of the help. I was impressed. But not impressed enough with 3D to bother going into it further at that time. I'm just a 2D thinker and draw'er I guess.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll see when mine shows up at the door.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Bruce, I am getting ready to take the plunge and buy a copy, but I have one question.

I just found a local business that prints DWG files using AutoCad for .50¢ a sq. foot. Will TurboCad 9.2 save files in the DWG format that can be read without errors by AutoCad? I'm tired of taping together tiled sheets of paper and really want to use this companies services (I just had them print out a 5'x3' set of plans today that were really nice).

Thanks,
David
Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 PM
BMatthews

I know it saves in DWG but whether or not Autocad will open the files with no errors remains to be seen. You may find that you need to restrict your format and you'll need to learn to draw your stuff using the line width color codes and probably limit what fonts can be used but I don't see why it won't work.

Perhaps I could do up a sample drawing of various line element types and fonts and have one of our AutoCAD users comfirm what works and what doesn't.

But the basic answer is that yes it will work.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:44 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can TurboCAD save files in .dxf format? If so, you can import them into AutoCAD, unless you have an older version of AutoCAD.

I have my version of TurboCAD coming too...

Bob
Old 02-14-2006, 08:33 PM
BMatthews

Yes, the Ver9 can save in its native TCW format as well as the DXF and DWG and DWF formats as well as a number of graphics and image formats. All my sketches I post around here are CAD files in TC saved as JPG's and then fed through Paintshop Pro to cut down the file size.

I do believe that I've had the odd problem with folks not being able to see some of the curved lines since I gather that TurboCAD doesn't save curved lines the same way AutoCAD does. But it would be a simple matter to find out what is compatible and what is not and just avoid using those when sending a file to an AutoCAD user. I do know that when I save as a DWF or DXF and reopen it I have no problems at all.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 PM
rainedave

Thanks for the info. I was concerned because I'm currently still using TC LE 4.1 and it has a lot of trouble opening DXF files that it didn't create. They either don't open or open corrupted with a bunch of little rectagular shapes scattered over the screen instead of the actual drawings. But it is nine years old and I'm sure 9.2 is lightyears better in terms of compatibility.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:57 PM
BMatthews

Yes it is. I also started out on the LE version and had lots of problems reading cad files of both dwg and dxf types that I downloaded off the 'net. Even my first Ver5.1 that I bought was better but still had some issues. But from Ver7 and up I've never had a problem that was not due to a corrupted file.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:07 AM
fritzke

They also have TurboCAD Deluxe 10.2 for 22 bucks, shipping is $6 I think.
Dave
http://store.yahoo.com/software-blowouts/tude10.html
Old 02-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Edwin

Dont know about acad but I have exported dxf from tc7 to alibre and vise-versa. I use tc7 at work to clean up an alibre dxf drawing to prep it for a document. I really like the spline usage in tc for creating formers and snap is really helpfull. Its pretty intuitive so if you know the basics and terminology you should be able to pick it up without too much trouble.
Edwin
Old 02-15-2006, 11:34 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I bought TurboCad 9.2 deluxe from www.amazon.com for $3 and $5 shipping. Now I have to figure out how to use it. It is different from my Quickcad that I am used to (mainly need to get familiar with the menus), but it looks like it should be a good program. It has many features that I am not familiar with. You should also be able to get a nice deal on this through ebay.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:43 AM
CoosBayLumber

Now, is this the version of TurboCAD which like TurboTAX, will down the road inhibit the use of any other CAD software?

It will set a cookie that stops the computer from accepting or fully using any other brand of CAD software, or if you are not liking the version, will only permit you to Upgrade, and not reverse direction going to an earlier version, or off load all of the low cost software.

I read something 1-2 years ago where TurboTAX and TurboCAD got assailed by some Gov't office for setting this onto the purchaser. Apparently they only do this on marked down software. Leaving an egg so that you then have to upgrade to latemodel software a year or two later, at whatever cost.

Wm.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:24 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Haven't heard that one before, William. Can you post a link to the source of that story please? That's a pretty serious issue if true![X(]
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
fritzke

Bill,
Also have not heard that one, and I get quite a few CAD newsletters.
Found this interesting tidbit about the fate of Cadkey though:
http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/ca...i_purchase.htm
Cadkey was bought by IMSI (TurboCAD) after the $5 million
judgement against them.
http://www.darwinmag.com/read/080103/reverse.html

Dave
Old 02-17-2006, 08:15 PM
CoosBayLumber

Milton

I had posted the source at a web site a good two years ago or so, but that web site is no longer active. Thus do not have the URL, as it does not apply to Autocad users. Two folks there had got hit by purchasing via eBay and one via some other source. Were they "unhappy" to mention. Two fellows had to reformat the hard drive to rid it. I think the third guy as OK with it, then purchased a newer version. As I remember it affected those who were running Win98 or had Upgraded from 98 to a later version of Windows.

It has been some time now, and I cannot remember the outcome.

Wm.