Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM
mango12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

Anthony, the landing gear mounts a little differently than what you would expect, the wires actually mount to the formers, not on a plate. I think I added doublers to mine.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:29 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess I will have to wait until I get my plans to see how it all goes together.
I would think you would want a nice heavy former for the landing gear to mount to seeing that this plane will weigh 27 to 30 lbs.
Anthony
Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

Anthony, the cowl and wheel pants are SP-12 and SP-12-WP from http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

I just remembered that when I started the project I did start a parts list but later realized that I had to buy more 1/8 sheet. Some of the wood was already on hand but here was my first purchase.
Ken,
Thanks for the list, I have an order in for the wood and I will call in my order for the plans tomorrow. I will be doing a quick build on a Sig Somethin Extra(throw around plane for the summer) then I will get to cutting my Waco Kit.
I noticed there was an issue with the wing center sections. was this just the top wing or the bottom wing and what do I need to look out for here, should I cut the ribs per the templates or do they need modified?? I will start by constructing the wing center sections 1st then the fuselage. I plan on 3 piece wings.
Later!
Anthony
Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
skylarkmk1

Anthony,

Suggest down loading the Pica Plan templates from the House of Moy site and compare the rib templates there to the Pepino plan ribs when you get the Pepino plans. The top “skin†remains constant where the bottom “skin†reflexes upwards where the chord narrows for access to the front cockpit. Photos are of YMF Classic, NC 14081.

P1 Top of wing center section
P2 Underside of center section, note the shadows along the ribs and curve where the wing narrows.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43186.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	839883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46529.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	839884  
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
WacoNut

Thanks John,
I see what you are talking about. I will make sure and check that out before cutting the ribs. I am trying to figure out how to make the flying wire connections and hide them in the wings like the full scale. I think I can construct a felt cover with a plug underneath like the full scale but there will not be much room to make the actual connection. It looks like there is an inspection cover adjacent to each flying wire attachment on the wings. This may allow enough room to reach in and make the connection if I make the covers functional.
Anthony
Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anthony, I made the flying wire anchors as an integral part of the inter-plane attachments. These were cut out of 6061-T6 aluminum. The first photo shows the bottom of the top wing. I will add balsa around these attachments for covering purposes. The second photo shows the top of the lower right wing. The third photo shows the lower wing center section with it's attachment points. The 4th photo shows the attachment point on the fuselage. I'll be using the Dubro solder type rigging ends with 4-40 size music wire just as I did on my Jungmeister.

The plane won't need the strength of the flying wires for flying. I may make up a set of 1/8" flat elastic flying wires to put on just for looks for when I want to go to the field for a little sport flying without having to put all of those 4-40x1/4" screws in.

Name:	Vt56727.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	840704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98871.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	840705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71480.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	840706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40048.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	840707  
Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 PM
WacoNut

Ken/Scott,
I am looking at making the wing 3 pieces and using aluminum wing tubes. I will not have my plans until next week. Can you tell me how tall the wing ribs are at the Max Thickness, I want to see how big of a tube I can use, I am afraid there is not a whole lot of room for a tube with the 2 deg of dihedral. I can get a thick walled 5/8 tube or a standard wall 1/2" tube, of course the sleeve will add 1/8" to the dia.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Big_Bird

The wing is not very thick. I'll get you a measurement tomorrow. It's too cold in the barn right now.

Update: I checked several places and the thickness on the outside of the cap strips varies from 2.030" to 2.065". You can use a sheet of craft paper to draw an edge on view to scale to see if the tubing will work.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

The wing is not very thick. I'll get you a measurement tomorrow. It's too cold in the barn right now.

Update: I checked several places and the thickness on the outside of the cap strips varies from 2.030" to 2.065". You can use a sheet of craft paper to draw an edge on view to scale to see if the tubing will work.
Thanks,
That will help alot, I will draw that up tomorrow and see what I come up with. I think that will be enough room to get the tube out 4 rib bays which will be enough to support the wing. I do not expext to see my plans until late next week. When I called and ordered the plans she said they wouldn't ship out until early next week.
Anthony
Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Nice work so far Big_Bird I just hope I can get my 1/6 scale to turn out as nice. Definetly looks like a whole lot of wood goes into building the fuselage. The plane your building is it a 1/4 scale I was on a website the other night and I found one that has a WS of 120" that is definetly to much plane for me I don't have the space to put a plane that big, now if I had a garage to hang it in that would be a whole different story if I could just get it passed the wife. Dave
Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Big_Bird

Well Dave I have to brag about my wife as being my biggest supporter in this hobby. If it weren't for her support then I wouldn't have so many giant scale planes ready to fly at a moments notice. I'm very blessed to be able to enjoy the hobby the way I do.

Yes, my Waco is a 90" wing span. The next two days are supposed to be in the 70s so I plan to do a lot more work on the Waco. It's going to be way too windy to fly.

Besides giant scale, I fly my 3D EPP Challenger foamy a lot. Here is a YouTube link. The guy flying it is the designer and I built one of his kits. He was flying it so that I could video it. Besides he flies it better than I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWpPPMOnYs0
Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
WacoNut

You have to love it when your wife say's go buy another plane to build because your driving me nuts paceing around the house with nothing to do. My wife supports me 100% in my hobby and usually pics the color scheme she wants me to put on the plane( I always show her several different ones I like and let her be the deciding factor). Now if I could just get her convinced we need a 1/1 scale plane.
Anthony
Old 01-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Big_Bird

A Cub 1/1 no doubt?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
WacoNut

I actually have the plans for a full scale J-3, all I need is a garage big enough and $30k for all the components
Anthony
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM
WacoNut

I just found this link posted in the kit building forum, looks like a nice engine for the price. I think I will order one for my Waco.
[link=http://unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=5732]50cc gas engine[/link]
Antony
Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Big_Bird

Back on post #296 I said that I was going to modify the aileron sheeting to make it easier to curve the sheeting down on the tip. This was definately the way to go. It made a hard job much easier. I've now struggled through 3 ailerons and they all came out good. Building a wing panel is far easier than an aileron.

Have any of you guys built ailerons for this plane? By the way, the diagonal bracing in the aileron is totally un-necessary since the aileron is completely sheeted.

Name:	Us55289.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	844990  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
WacoNut

Hi Guys,
I will be starting my build soon, I have my wood order in and the plans should be here in the next day or so. I will scan in the plans at work and plot a couple sets for templates and a set to build on so I can keep the originals in good shape. I will make sure I do not get any scaleing issues while I am scanning and plotting. I will also check to make sure there aren't any issues with the originals before starting.
Anthony
Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
WacoNut

Ken/Scott,
I received my plans today and the build does not look difficult. I am a little dissapointed in the wing rib templates or should say a lack of. There is one template for all full size ribs and one for the top center section(which needs correction) and the bottom center section rib. The intermediate ribs where the wing tapers at the center sections and the wing tips are not on the plans as I am sure you guys know. I am assuming that you just used a full size rib and then cut and sanded it to size until you had the desired shape ??
My wood order should arrive by this weekend then I will start cutting all the formed parts.
Later!
Anthony
Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 PM
WacoNut

One more question, are any of you using the Sig Giant Scale aluminum wing joiner?? I am thinking of going with that instead of the aluminum tube.
Anthony
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: CubNut

One more question, are any of you using the Sig Giant Scale aluminum wing joiner?? I am thinking of going with that instead of the aluminum tube.
Anthony
Not me, mine is one piece.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM
WacoNut

Hi Guys,
I have my plans scanned in and copies made to build from. I will be building a Sig Somethin Extra over the next week so I will have another throw around plane for this summer then I will be on to the Waco build. My wood order should arrive monday and I will be itching to get started.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
mango12

Anthony, I finished my Something Extra a few months ago for the same reason. Saito .70 on the nose, way to fast !!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, Guys.

I just read through this whole Thread looking for recommendations for what engine to use in a Pepino 1/4-Scale I just bought from somebody in another group. Apparently, nobody finished so nobody is flying anything yet. I'll have to stay tuned and see how things go with these builds. The one I just bought has been built and was flown and had the landing gear damaged as well as the cowling, so it'll need some TLC. For the price, though, I couldn't kick about having to do some work in it. Heck, at this price I could strip it down and recover it entirely and still not get hurt! I paid 400 bucks for it, here's the link to the ad, it has some real good photos of it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799337

Not perfect, but plenty of scale detail so it's a good start. Couldn't get a weight stripped down, and he didn't know the RTF weight either. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances! The story is that an older gentleman who was a very good builder literally spent years building and detailing this, and he took it to the field one day to finally fly it. He stalled it on approach a few feet off the runway or caught that wheel on something and took out one of the gear and pants and the cowl. He took it home and after some time he got a good portion of it repaired, but before he could finish the repairs and fly it again he died of a heart attack. His wife sold it to the guy I bought it from. He hadn't anticipated the difficulty of storing such a big bird and when they moved into a smaller place he put it up for sale. One of the guys in the Botherhood (Thomas) mentioned that he'd just seen a Pepino for sale for a good price and dropped a link to it. I went after it like a rabid dog! I'm pretty excited about it, I'm not a scale detail freak but I like some scale detail, and this bird has quite a bit already. So I can afford to spend a little extra time on adding a little more detail on top of that. But of course, that puts me back to my first comment, that I still need to establish which gasser I'll be needing for it. I personally estimate that an 80 to a 100cc should be right. I've flown considerably smaller planes with quadra 50's and Q-42s that could have used more to stay on the good side of a trouble-moment, and by my estimate this bird is going to take substantially more. And I haven't even hefted it yet. Maybe I'm wrong....time will tell! At any rate, I've looked for a long time to find just this kind of deal, so I can't wait to get it here.
Oh, yes, skylarkmk1 is saving my life on this, he's driving quite a distance in his home state to pick this up for me and he's holding it for me until I get out to his place to pick it up from him. Without him volunteering to help me, I would not have been able to get this WACO. I know that's just John being John, as always, but we're lucky to have guys like this in the Brotherhood and I wanted to say so.

Jim
Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
mango12

Jim, no we haven't finished our builds yet, but I can tell you this. A ZDZ 80RV will NOT fit without extensive modification. A hugh gapeing hole would have to be cut in the firewall and a pitts style muffler will require removing a large portion of the bottom of the firewall. I know because this is the engineI had planned to install. A better choice would probably be a G52 or equivilant. I think that is what Ken is using. I went with a Saito 300T. Just about perfect fit and the flexible exhaust pipes should make for an easy installation. However, they tell me it burns about 2 ounces of glow fuel a minute !!!! Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott,
I've used Saito 150's before, and what you've got there is essentially TWO of them, so yes, I'd agree that the fuel consumption estimate of 2 oz's/ minute is conservative at best. Which is one of the reasons that I decided that for anything requiring over a Saito 125 I will switch to a gasser if at all possible. I read where you decided to switch over to the Saito and was hoping to hear the outcome, but that's one of those "stay tuned!" things again. Not that I'd want to use a Saito for this, but I'd get some idea from that where to go with mine. As long as it has enough power. Saitos are SWEET runners. Just remember to use a positive sealing fueler with that, the Saitos have enough suction to open the spring on many of the auto-dots and suck air in, making them run quite badly from it. I recommend the Hangar 9 HAN115 Fuel Dot Filler to be sure. Those are what I use now. Still, no slimers in my big Bipe. Gas only.

By the way, you guys are doing a great job working on adding scale sizes and details, that takes time. You should take all the time you need and do it just the way it pleases you. I don't have that much time, I'm rebuilding my whole hangar after somebody backed a big truck up and robbed my house last year. They took ALL of my planes. 30 years of building and flying...all gone. I've got a dozen new ARFS and lots of new Saitos and electric setups and I was looking for just ONE truly giant scale bird, and I knew I wanted a WACO Bipe, but I also knew that no way would I have the time to do a full build like you guys are doing. Something had to give, so I was looking for just exactly what I ended up buying yesterday. In all honesty, I never thought I'd find one anywhere NEAR this nice, not even for a fair amount more money. I like to set up my own controls anyway, I don't trust most other people to do that. I'll be able to mount my own engine and make sure it's right. Now, THAT I have time for!

BTW,anybody know what is the cowl's inside diameter on the Pepino? Got to know that to find the right engine. By my rough figures it looks to be about 10.5 inches. (Rats, if that's right it leaves out that nice 100cc Twin that cubnut was telling me about!)

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.