Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

Yes, a centerline down the top view. There was a significant difference from the centerline to the side at each station. I used the formers to establish the proper width. Seems like I remember that the tail end was a little off. I am guessing that the copying process when the master was made caused the skewing of the drawing and was never fixed.

I have slowed down on the Waco so that I can build my SE5A foamie. Here is a video that I made. I fly giant scale and foamies and nothing in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGkGrAOsp6E
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62717.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	881252  
Old 02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,

For those of you interested; the Pica Waco YMF thread in Vintage and Antique has been indexed. Just click on the post number and you will go to that post. It is broken down into Categories to help you find things.
It has references to this Pepino thread and the Barth thread as well.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Ken,
I have a foam Corsair, fun to fly airplane. I have the internal framework for the fuse pretty much done. I need to add some more gussets and add the lower longeron doubler(missed that one). The fuse came out very straight, no bow or twist. The framework is surprisingly light and very strong. Here are a couple pics of how it looks so far.
Anthony

Name:	Zw69560.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	881696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90025.jpg
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	881697  
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM
WacoNut

Not a whole lot new to report,
Been very busy at work and working long hours, I did run out at lunch today and bought a foot of 5/32" ID-1/4" OD hydraulic tubing to make my scale tail gear. I have the pieces cut and will radius the joints at work tomorrow on a mill then weld them together. I am going to use a spring for suspension rather than stack o-rings. I will post some pics of my finished gear this weekend I hope. I am half tempted to go back and buy some larger tubing and try my hand at a set of scale mains Will have to think about that one a while. Anyhow I am hopeing to get the tail gear mounted so I can start adding formers and stringers to the fuse this weekend.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
WacoNut

BTW,
I did get the arrangements worked out with Peter Barth for my cowling and wheel pants. I am sure it will be at leat a couple weeks before I get my hands on them but at least now I know I will have a correct YMF cowling.
Anthony
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 PM
skylarkmk1

Anthony,

If you have a set of hole punches that can do the proper size inside and outer diameters, Neoprene rubber from an old mouse pad or wet suit will work. The only problem then is cutting the aluminum washers used to seperate the rubber disks. .
Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 AM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Anthony,

If you have a set of hole punches that can do the proper size inside and outer diameters, Neoprene rubber from an old mouse pad or wet suit will work. The only problem then is cutting the aluminum washers used to seperate the rubber disks. .
I do have access to a hole punch set here at work, I will have to think about that one. Did you get my PM?? I will send that out in the mail tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 AM
skylarkmk1

Anthony,

I sent you an email on the 19th in response to your PMs. I am sending you a 1/3 scale drawing of the tail wheel via email.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
WacoNut

Started adding the fuse formers, started at the tail and working my way forward. I have half of them installed. I tried welding my tail gear today and I gave up. I have 2 pieces tacked together but my welding skills are really lacking, I will get one of the welders at work to finish it up for me on Monday. I will post some pics of the fuselage tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Big_Bird

Anthony, sounds like you are making very good progress. I'm good at high temp silver soldering and brazing but no good at welding.

Today I picked up a Byron Corsair that had been started but not finished. It came complete with retracts and 4.2 cu-in Sachs engine with the Purr Power system. I promise not to start it until I get the Waco finished.

Name:	Tr51102.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	886809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63058.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	886810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89081.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	886811  
Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 PM
mango12

Hey Ken. I built a Byron GeeBee about ten years ago, with every accesory that came with the kit. It was a very interesting assembly process, and it was an enjoyable project.
I am going to get back in the shop and on my Waco this coming week, I swear.
Scott
Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
WacoNut

That Corsair should make a great plane,
My fuse is starting to take shape. I have most of the formers cut and installed. I cut the notches in the rear most fromer and the former behind the cockpit and the bottom former just aft of the wing saddle. I will cut the notches in the froward most former to set the stringer position on the sides then cut the notches in their correct positions on the remaining formers. It is alot of work to do it this way but It should result in nice straight stringers.
I will get my tail gear welded tomorrow and get it installed sometime this week. Here are a couple pics of the fuse.
Anthony

Name:	Ec88570.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	887768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97326.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	887769  
Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Hey Ken,
It took me a while but I was able to find it again, Bryon's Originals Model Airplanes giant scale which was sold and bought by this company Iron Bay Model Company this is there website http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...es/Corsair.htm they have all the scale parts needed to complete the plane. Years ago I was going to buy the F-15 Eagle but once I found out how much it was going to cost I kind of back out of the idea. I still think the corsair would be an awesome bird to build.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Big_Bird

Anthony, the fuselage is really looking great. I guess pretty soon you will be installing all of the parts for the main gear.

This is my second Byron Corsair. I sold the other one about 10 years ago. I thought I was out of the Corsair business about 1 1/2 years ago when I lost my Ziroli Corsair at Bomber Field. However, when a good friend offered to give me the complete setup for free, it was too much to turn down. I'm getting rid if the 3 blade prop because it is inefficient, prone to breakage, and weighs about 2 pounds with the hub. I'll be looking for 2 blade adapter. CH Ignitions is my first place to look. I'm also not too impressed with the Purr Power mount/muffler. A Corsair needs to come screaming down hill with the prop "ripping". My last Ziroli had a Brison 5.8 cu-in engine.

I have 2 foamies to rig out before I can get back on the Waco. Anthony, did you order your strut material?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 AM
WacoNut

No I haven't ordered it yet,
I am taking care of getting my cowling 1st, I will order the strut material at the end of this week or early next week. I am afraid I am going to be ready for it and won't have it.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
WacoNut

Ken,
I ran into a problem, well sort of anyways. On the plans it shows the former F2(firewall) I am making this out of 1/4" ply, on the side views it shows a former that is smaller in dia. right up against the back side of F2. I do not see a template for this anywhere. My question is does the fuse foreward sheeting go over F2 or does if butt up even with F2 ?? If it is even with F2 then I would definitely need to make a smaller former to butt up against F2 to support the sheeting. I have the rest of the formers made and installed on the fuselage. I want to get all the formers on this week as well as the landing gear bent and the blocks made so I can get everything mounted this weekend and add the stringers and sheeting.
Any tips on this would be appreciated and any pics of this would be iceing on the cake
Anthony
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Big_Bird

Anthony, I have always been one to make modifications to a design that I thought I could improve it.

The sheeting goes over the edges of the firewall and I believe the actual firewall is 1/2" thick. I glued balsa blocks to the firewall to allow me to fill out the curved front end shape. On top of that I glued a 1/8" disk to allow the L brackets to be mounted. All of this could have been sanded and shaped but a good friend offered to turn the whole assembly on his lathe. He did a very beautiful job as you can see. Hope this helps.

Name:	Mk25811.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	889724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67691.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	889725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32547.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	889726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71353.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	889727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr91563.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	889728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qg63661.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	889729  
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 PM
WacoNut

That helps alot,
I will cut my F2 former tomorrow and epoxy it in place. It is as I had assumed but with these plans they can get you confused in a hurry.
Thanks!
Anthony
Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Big_Bird

Hey, glad I could help.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 PM
WacoNut

I was able to get down to the basement for an hour or so tonight and do a little work,
I cut the F2 former(firewall) and epoxied it into place, as usual it needed some adjustments to get the size correct. All in all these plans are terrible you need to check everything before you cut and correct the mistakes. You should only consider them as a generic guidline. I have alot of respect to anyone who builds a plane from these plans.
I did get a buddy at work to weld my tail gear pieces today, he did a very good job and all I have to do is make the yoke for the tail wheel and gather the pieces for the lower portion of the strut.
Here are a few pics!!
Anthony

Name:	Mj24464.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	891194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65168.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	891195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78620.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	891196  
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Big_Bird

That is looking very good Anthony.

I have built a few giant scale planes from plans and hands down these are the worst ones that I have ever come across. In my opinion Nick Ziroli does some of the best. I built 2 Corsairs from his plans and his B-25. Wendell Hostetler does a very good job. I built his PT-19 and 1/3 scale Super Decathlon.

The absolute best set of plans that I ever had were drawn by Gary Allan. I used them to build my 1/3 scale Bucker Jungmeister (2 of them). He is a fantastic scale designer. His plans are available from Model Airplane News.

Hang in there, you are doing a great job.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
mango12

Great news, I finally got some work done on my Waco. First time I have touched it since Turkey day. I finished the rudder and horizontal stab, all are sanded and hinged and ready to be installed.I made the elevators with an internal control horn so it won't be visible when the plane is finished. It is good to be working on it once again !!!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: CubNut

.... I have alot of respect to anyone who builds a plane from these plans.....
Anthony,

You are one of the ones to be respected as well. Judging by the pictures you post this will be a beautiful plane. I am impressed by how clean your build is. The joints that I can see are clean and tight fit and there is not much excess glue to be seen. Nice Job....

Mango12

Was it you that came up with the idea of bolting on the tail feathers? (posted on the Brotherhood forum) If so, are you still using that method?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM
mango12

Rick, 'twas not me. I have been seriously considering using carbon fiber tubes for the leading edge of the stab for a more scale appearance, but I will probably just leave it as it is. John could surely tell you who it was that made their stab adjustable. On the Barth thread it is built that way and is an awsome extra if you want to go that way.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
WacoNut

Thanks for the comment Rick,
I actually enjoy building more than flying, I think I do a pretty good job of flying but that is just out of necessity to keep from crashing the planes that I spend hundreds of hours building
I finally settled all the payment arrangements with Peter Barth and my Cowling and Pants should be on the way next week. Hopefully I will make some progress on the Waco this weekend. Today is my birthday just turned 40 or 10 however you want to look at it. I will head to the hobby shop tomorrow and pick up some needed items for the landing gear.
Later!!
Anthony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.