Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

Just in case someone else may build a YMF-5 from Pepino's plans here is a caution. The plans that I received have some pretty serious distortions that came in the copy process. As an example I laid a straight edge down the center line of the top view of the fuselage and found that the tail end of the plane was out of line by a full 1/4". With the straight edge it is very easy to see where the error occurred. The side view was off by a similar amount. I drew new reference lines on the plan which should take care of the problem.
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update photos. The first photo shows the mounting (1/4x20) holes for the lower wing. The small blocks on the top of the wing properly locate the wing. At this point, a little basswood but no spruce. The structure is very light.

I hope to have the plane ready for Bomber Field in September.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40541.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	678836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20463.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	678837  
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BB,

Have a look at a couple of pictures of a YKC tail wheel (nearly identical to a YMF) under restoration at Creve Coeur Airport near St.Louis, MO. http://www.historicaircraftrestorationmuseum.org/

Name:	Fd92996.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	682514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki18619.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	682515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki20014.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	682516  
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very interesting photos. That really is a sturdy looking assembly.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Big Bird, have you started to build the outer panels of the wings yet? If so, did you have any trouble with the wing tips, according to the plans? If you have any more photos or suggestions , they would be greatly appreciated. BTW- I solved the whole issue I had with the ZDZ 80 mounting. I traded it for a Saito 300 twin, on ignition. It should be perfect for this plane. Thanks, Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

I buy, I build, I fly, I crash. I buy, Ibuild, I fly, I crash. I buy, I build,................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mango12

Hey Big Bird, have you started to build the outer panels of the wings yet? If so, did you have any trouble with the wing tips, according to the plans? If you have any more photos or suggestions , they would be greatly appreciated. BTW- I solved the whole issue I had with the ZDZ 80 mounting. I traded it for a Saito 300 twin, on ignition. It should be perfect for this plane. Thanks, Scott
    No, I haven't started the outer wing panels but I don't think the wing tips will be too much of a challenge. I took one of the wing panels that my friend gave me and finished out one of the wing tips as a pattern for my panel. Here are a couple of photos. The 300 should do fine.

I have made more progress on the fuselage but stopped posting photos because I thought no one was interested besides me. Why waste RCU memory space?

Name:	Sq47175.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	690958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nj25466.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	690959  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep posting pix, I'm interested. In all of the pictures I've seen of the wing tips, it doesn't seem like there is much of a taper on the top of the wing. I've done one so far, and had to rework it to get it to look right. I don't know if it is right but I'll do the other three the same way. You have already built your tail wheel? Wanna make another?Have you seen the thread in Antique and Vintage on the Waco?
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

I buy, I build, I fly, I crash. I buy, Ibuild, I fly, I crash. I buy, I build,................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep posting pix, I'm interested. In all of the pictures I've seen of the wing tips, it doesn't seem like there is much of a taper on the top of the wing. I've done one so far, and had to rework it to get it to look right. I don't know if it is right but I'll do the other three the same way. You have already built your tail wheel? Wanna make another?Have you seen the thread in Antique and Vintage on the Waco?
    Scott
    A few minutes ago I made a photo of the tip to show the taper. Do you think this looks right? I built my tail wheel assembly from the Robart tail wheel that came out of my crashed Ziroli Corsair. I wouldn't mind building another one but I don't have the critical parts such as the yoke where the wheel mounts, the shock absorber, and the control arm. I'll look that thread up.

Do you have any photos to post?

Name:	Ay74970.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	691101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu66373.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	691102  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of the guys on the other thread posted some pix of the wing tips( around page 102 or close) but I'm still not sure. Some look like they are flat all the way across the top with no taper, unless I am looking at it wrong. Yea , the tail wheel is the only thing keeping me from finishing the fuselage, just haven't been motivated enough , yet. How do you braze aluminum?
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, my Waco will not be used for scale competition so I guess I'll just make the tips to suite me.

Go over to Google and type in "brazing aluminum". You will get a bunch of sites to look up, most of them want to sell you something but you will find some useful information also.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ken: I'm interested! Please keep posting. I have the plans, cowl, and pants, but kinda wanted to see yours go together first.

Brad
    All Scale, All the Time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I sure will Brad when I have something worthwhile to post. I have all of the top and side stringers on and today will start on the bottom formers and stringers. One thing that I keep thinking about is how to do the wing fairings. I've not quiet decided how.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, I'm not sure how to do the wing farings myself but this is what I plan to do. After I cover the fuse with coverite ( if I can find it) I am going to use body filler and sand it to shape , light weight bondo probably. I think that is how the war bird people do it.
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speaking of warbirds, I'm a warbird people also. On my Hostetler PT-19 I had to do a similar thing with the wing fairing. After covering the fuselage I cut a piece of 1/64 ply and glued it to the fuselage. I then glued one more piece to the wing saddle to conform to the shape of the wing. Then I added in a thin layer (about 1/8" to 3/16" thick) of light weight spackling and allowed it to fully dry. I found out early on that the layer must be thin or it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry. I repeated this until I had enough to do the sanding and shaping. My PT-19 has been around for many years and is flown regularly and the fairing has never cracked.

Here are a few photos to show what it looks like.

Name:	Ig13466.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	691614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55347.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	691615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv55999.jpg 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	691616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq43537.jpg 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	691617  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of the guys on the other thread posted some pix of the wing tips( around page 102 or close) but I'm still not sure. Some look like they are flat all the way across the top with no taper, unless I am looking at it wrong. Yea , the tail wheel is the only thing keeping me from finishing the fuselage, just haven't been motivated enough , yet. How do you braze aluminum?
    Mango, and all...

On the 1/5th version, the wing tips are not flat across the top, but the taper is not as pronounced as is the bottom. There is a special rod that can be used with some success for brazing aluminum. Be careful about the amount of heat that you use, since you can easily blow the aluminum away. Check with your local welding supply shop.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, thanks for dropping in on this thread. Come by anytime. Your help and comments are always appreciated.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ken: You might want to consider using Super-Fill from Stitts for the fillets. It's a very lightweight epoxy putty that sands and shapes easily when cured.

I used it on my Ziroli P-40, applied over a 1/64 ply base.

Brad

Name:	Eb86670.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	691662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93460.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	691663  
    All Scale, All the Time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brad, that is a SUPER looking P-40. Don't think you would walk past the grass.

I found SuperFil here. I'll consider it.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/superfil.php
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ken. I am gonna try to send some progress photos of what I have done so far. You'll see the wing tip that I think is closest to correct. If the top is supposed to taper down as Stickbuilder suggested , it should be easy to do from this point. Every thing is rough sanded only. For some reason I like to do all of the finish sanding just prior to covering.

Name:	Fc90340.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	691940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48091.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	691941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17088.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	691942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex68993.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	691943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs94811.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	691944  

Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, thanks for the photos. It looks like you are about 2 building days ahead of me on the fuselage. If you look back at post #83 you will notice the slightly tapered tip that I think Stickbuilder is talking about.

Here are 3 more progress pictures. Note the shaped blocks that I added where the wing bolts go through.

We were supposed to be hosting a Big Bird flyin today at our field but since it had been raining most of the week, it was called off. I spent most of the day, between honey duz, working on the Waco.

One thing that bothers me a little is that if the landing gear needs service it will be a major undertaking to remove it due to it being sheeted in.

Name:	So42630.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	691968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr40610.jpg 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	691969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72606.jpg 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	691967  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, what type of hinges are you planning to use for the ailerons? I am using Robart point hinges, but my real question is this. Can you offer a sugestion on how to install an invisible control horn?
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, I like and use the Dubro giant scale hinges. I don't use the brass cotter pins that come with them but use a long piece of music wire that will go through all of the hinges on a control surface. That way I can pull the wire out of the end and remove the surface for covering or painting. No suggestions on invisible control horns.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys probably think I have been asleep on the job. Actually I haven't. Since retiring 8 years ago I have been busier than ever. I have to jump on ever chance that I get to do a little building.

The radio has been completely installed in the fuselage. The engine installation is finished. The landing gear has been built and installed. The present weight of the fuselage less the engine is nearly 8 pounds. I consider this pretty good because I'm shooting at a 27 pound or less airplane. I thought it was time to take some photos before everything got covered up. So, here they are in no particular order.

In the 3rd photo, you can see the dual elevator servo installation. The servos rotate in opposite directions (programming/mixing in the Futaba transmitter) so that the 5/16" wooden pushrods are near the center and align perfectly with the elevators. Photo 5 shows the spring loaded baggage hatch door.

Name:	Ro41961.jpg 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	720105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84105.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	720106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd81258.jpg 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	720107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yr47566.jpg 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	720108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ny27689.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	720109  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iz37579.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	720110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dc96564.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	720111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca51892.jpg 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	720112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wj52226.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	720113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kq70956.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	720114  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sd23496.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	720115  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a photo of the battery and rudder servo installation.

Name:	Jg14036.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	720118  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow Ken, it looks like you have made a lot of progress. I have just about finished the bottom wing center section, leaving only the outer wing panels (bottom) before final assembly and covering. Are you following the incidence settings from the plans or are you setting up the wings differently?
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast