Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:02 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

Good Deal Mike,
I am finishing up the radio installation in my Waco, I have one servo left to install in the wings and I need to install the on/off switch for the engine and the charge jacks. I received the wing tubes for my 33% Waco and man are those things huge I build in my basement and if the plane did not have a removeable stab I am sure it would be too big to get out of the basement.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
WacoNut

Hi Guys,
I am getting ready fo rthe AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 build, I am starting a thread in the scale forum, you can follow along here at this link. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8053911/anchors_8053911/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8053911]AMR 33% Waco[/link]
Later!!
Anthony
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Slow but fairly steady progress. Struts done and installed following Big-Bird's drawing. Worked out well. I did end up with some non-identical lengths because I wasn't careful enough locating the brackets on the wings. For the attachment fitting between the wing brackets and struts, I formed a 1/2 in wide strip of brass around a brass tube, flattened and soldered. I didn't pull test it, but it looks like the double thickness of brass strip soldered together should not tear out. For the cabanes, I had previously formed with wire and welded including the diag. braces and feet at the top. When it came to attaching the cabane strut material, I had to bring it to the local machine shop-welder and have a lengthwise slot milled. Also had to nibble at the ends to clear the diagonal brace. Lots of work, but it should look OK once attached. Little end milled slot in strut material ran $40. When I put it all together, I can see why one might go all out and buy a top of the line kit with everything included. Probably money ahead with a complete kit and a lot fewer headaches.

Everything is built with the exception of ailerons. Looks like some work and I'll review the posts to find the best way.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good work Mike. Keep it up.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird
Due to the fact that the ailerons do not have enough travel the plane rolls very slow. I have just put a lot of differential throw in the ailerons. About twice as much up as down. I'll try this out this coming weekend. The last photos show this throw.
I finally had the chance to fly the Waco today with a lot of aileron differential. The plane rolls at least twice as fast and no longer has the little wobble in a roll. Try it, I'm sure you will like it. I'm now completely satisfied with how it flies and I'm pretty picky. It does a great inverted flat spin and quickly comes out of it as soon as I'm ready.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Ken,

That is good news about the difference in flight characteristics when adding differnetial aileron travel. How did the engine perform?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Big_Bird

Hi Rick,

I have put 5 more flights on the plane since Bomber Field and I haven't had a bit of trouble with the engine. It is still a little stiff at the end of a flight but that is getting better. I think it is finally breaking in. After Bomber Field I pulled the jug off and cleaned the piston top. No more carbon cat whiskers across the spark plug tip. I don't know if that had anything to do with cleaning the piston.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
hopkimf

More slow progress. I'm building ailerons now. Last time while building the Ikon Waco UPF-7, I got irritated at the kit design and carved them out of blocks. Not this time. Too big, but kind of a pain to put together. Lots more to do, but it's at the point where I can see a finish not too far off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48877.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1060151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61513.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1060152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47766.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1060153  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Big_Bird

Looking good. You sure have put in a lot of work. Fine looking struts.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 PM
WacoNut

You will be covering that thing before you know it and when you are all finished you will have something that you can really be proud of. That plane has to be one of the biggest PITA to build that I have ever seen but it makes a beautiful plane when finished.
Anthony
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Big_Bird

And it flies as good as it looks.

Just took a moment for a break from my airplane factory job. Got to get back before they write me up for taking too long. Working on the top side of the fuselage now.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 AM
hopkimf

Before I can start covering, I have lots of sanding and lots of fixes. Some day I would like to build one that actually looks good without covering. No split pieces, excess glue, wood filler, blobs of JB Weld, etc. Thanks for the comments. It's getting there.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
hopkimf

I had a little trouble with ailerons. First I built a little fixture to locate the aileron leading edge on the wing in the right position and right angle. Then I trimmed the underside to match the wing taper. Next I laid the bottom sheeting on the board and beveled the bottom edge of aileron leading edge. I glued it on to the bottom sheeting in the flat area. When dry I bent the bottom sheeting up to match the underside taper on the leading edge and glued it in. I put the ribs and diagonals in and sanded all to put the top sheeting on. I was unable to get the bend at the outer end. So I gave up and put in balsa blocks. They run from the last rib, and sit on the bottom sheeting. I don't know how you guys did it. Have more sanding but at least I can get the transition.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Big_Bird

I found this to work for bending the tips. I think I posted this earlier in the thread but here it is again. It sure makes building the ailerons easier.

Name:	Db84087.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1062512  
Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone looking for a rtf Pepino Waco done up in full scale colors and markings let me know as I have one that I'm putting up for sale.

Need to clear space in the hangar for a 1/3rd scale Waco.

Thx,

Bill

Name:	Jh15771.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1064007  
Old 11-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Bill,

I have no need for it because I have my own but I would like to ask a few questions. Has it been flown? What engine? What does it weigh? How old is it? Did you build it? What are you asking for it?

This almost sounds like Anthony's story. He has a Pepino Waco and is building a 1/3 scale AMR-RC.com Waco YMF-5.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

This almost sounds like Anthony's story. He has a Pepino Waco and is building a 1/3 scale AMR-RC.com Waco YMF-5.
Almost but I have absolutely no plans to sell either one of my Waco's
Anthony
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
hopkimf

Guys,

What a surprise. Hinckley Bill sold me the Waco plans plus the cowel, wheel pants and the kit cutter kit. I went to his place some months ago and took a bunch of photos of the plane he's offering now. They're in the thread somewhere. It's very nice. He also has lots of other stuff.

Bill......how about that Harley? How much is that going for?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Plane was purchased from the builder who put a couple of flights on it and then decided to sell it because he couldn't bear the thought of damaging something he'd put so much time and effort into.

I on the other hand got it and immediately replaced all the standard JR servos with Hitec digitals, replaced the "home-brew" copper plumbing muffler with a "real muffler", ran the engine to get it tuned and then put it downstairs to await time to fly.......that time has not come as of yet and I'm not willing to let it sit any longer. I'd like to get $2,000 ... pretty much what I purchased it for plus the replacement of the upgraded Hitec digitals.....but will be open to offers as long as they're reasonable. Sorry to have hijacked the thread like this but I'm subscribed to it and know that others who are also subscribed share my love for the plane.

BTW I just acquired the Genesys Waco and it's sitting next to my Balsa USA Stearman.........they do make a great looking pair.

Oh the Harley isn't for sale at this time.......but here's a pic

Name:	Fd92457.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1064839  
Old 11-13-2008, 07:32 PM
mango12

Anthony,
I have been all through here and am having trouble finding what I am looking for.
I know that you used a different method of attatching the top wing to the cabane struts than what the plans called for. Can you refresh me on what that method was?
I was thinking of using monster ball link (6/32 or 8/32) connecters threaded onto the ends of the cabanes, is this what you did,and are you concerned about them coming off under stress?
Thanks
Scott
Old 11-13-2008, 08:10 PM
WacoNut

Scott,
I used Monster Ball Links in the front 6-32, this seems to be very strong and I used ends like on the "N" struts on the back. I used the templates supplied by Ken to make the strut connections. I used the aluminum material from GTM to make all the struts including the cabane struts. I inserted the 5/32" wire into the fuse as per the plans but I had it cut short to fit half way up the cabame material and attached it with JB Weld. I put several nicks in the 5/32 wire for the JB Weld to lock onto. The top of the struts were made as described above. It is a must to jib the top wing into place and have it locked in very well while you build the cabanes. I think I measured 50 times before I finally locked it into position and built the struts to fit.
I hope this helps.
Anthony
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM
mango12

Anthony,
Thanks a million!! That is what I will do. I will use the piano wire struts though, and thread them for the 6/32 ball links. I would think this will make incidence adjustments easier if necessary also. I'll let you know how it turns out and provide pictures if I can pry the camera out of my wife's wisely protective hands. Once things get carried into my shop, they never seem to find their way back to the house. Odd, huh?
Scott
Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
skylarkmk1

Scott;

The piano wire is very hard to thread and will damage the threading die. It would be better to silver solder or braze a threaded end to the piano wire.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Guys,

Glad to see that this thread is still alive. Every time I think of the effort I had to put in to build this Waco I shudder. Pure determination that it wasn't going to whip me is what it took. It all paid off handsomely with a really fun flying plane.

As opposed to the Waco the AMR 42% Super Decathlon has been a lot of fun to build.

Last weekend was when I had the first thing to break. It was the top right tail brace in the top bend. I never noticed it until I landed. This plane does the absolute best inverted flat spin ever. It gets real flat and comes down slow. Best part is it immediately comes out of the spin as soon as you let go of the sticks. When you get ready to do it just ask and I'll give you the recipe.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Big_Bird

I forgot.

Anthony, isn't yours about due for a maiden flight? What's the hold up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.