Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Jim Pepino's YMF-5 Waco

ORIGINAL: mango12

John, thanks for the photos, it does help. For some reason, the section in question turned out to be nearly 1/2 inch in thickness. If I can figure out a way to get that reflex you pointed out, it will help a bunch. And I will review the Pica plans to see where I went wrong, as You and Ken suggested.
    Ken , it was a pleasure talking to you last night, hope to do it again soon. I don't normally do this, but I watched the Dallas game last night, what a finish!!! I am more partial to SEC football, almost all of Alabama's games this season have come down to the wire like that.
    Scott
    John, I looked at the Pica Plans and see what you mean. I think Pepino had the wing plans pretty close to correct. Here are a few more shots of mine when I was setting it up for the cabane struts.

Scott, my chin was hanging pretty low during most of the Cowboys game. I think the most common thought amoung Dallas and Buffalo fans alike was "I can't believe it."

2009 - Arlington Texas - Home of the Dallas Cowboys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85169.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	779502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87790.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	779503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20875.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	779504  
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, good news. After looking on the house of moy site and reviewing the plans, I found out why the wing center section was not right! I did not shape the wing ribs correctly. After I removed the sheeting from the bottom of the center section, and some sanding, and some more sanding, and some more, I finally got the correct shape, resheeted the bottom, and now all is well. Now progress can continue. How have you planned on doing the windsheild?
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

I buy, I build, I fly, I crash. I buy, Ibuild, I fly, I crash. I buy, I build,................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mango12

Ken, good news. After looking on the house of moy site and reviewing the plans, I found out why the wing center section was not right! I did not shape the wing ribs correctly. After I removed the sheeting from the bottom of the center section, and some sanding, and some more sanding, and some more, I finally got the correct shape, resheeted the bottom, and now all is well. Now progress can continue. How have you planned on doing the windsheild?
    Scott
    Yes, the bottom ribs curve upward. Don't feel bad about about the ribs. I'm always correcting my mistakes. I actually have thrown assemblies away and started over. Lately I seem to be taking more time to plan things out before grabbing for the glue bottle.

I haven't given the wind shield much thought. Jim, my good friend with the big Spacewalker II, has the same type of windshield on his plane. The way he does his is to lay plastic wrap on the fuselage and front of the windshield. Then he lays a few layers of fiberglass on the front of the windshield. After removing the windshield and fiberglass he trims the fiberglass to shape. Holes are then drolled in the fiberglass, windshield and fuselage to mount the windshield. Of course, the bottom side of the balsa is reinforced with lite ply. In the future the windshield will be easily removable.

Good news on my end, I have started building my first wing panel.

Name:	Rp43239.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	780370  
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sounds like a neat way to do the windshield and I'll keep it in mind. Remember I told you I was having trouble getting the lower wing level and that I thought the wing saddle was the problem? Well as it turns out , the saddle was not the problem. When setting up the wing joiners I somehow set the dihedral wrong on one wing panel. So now I am in the process of re-working the joiner to correct the problem.
    On another note, I think I found my color scheme, here's a picture........
    Scott

Name:	Xv64254.jpg 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	781779  
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

I buy, I build, I fly, I crash. I buy, Ibuild, I fly, I crash. I buy, I build,................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott,

I like it Dk Blue with Bronze Trim and White (or Cream) Pin Stripes and Cowl trim. Some what similar to NC 14031, the Pica Subject plane.

Bummer on the Wing Joint - BTDT
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All,

Information about the Full Size Waco Fly-Ins (AWC and NWC) being held in June 2008 has been posted in the Pica Biuld thread, post #3883. It would be great if some of you could come and bring your Wacos to one of the events or just come and attend. Both organizations have expressed interest in the models. The AWC is interested in getting photos for their newsletter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, BTDT ?
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, BTDT ?
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a beautiful color scheme. Here is my color scheme.

Right, bummer on the wing joint

Name:	Vs55764.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	781819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ws56503.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	781820  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott,

BTDT = Been There, Done That. I had to redo a few things on planes also.[:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see. I really don't think it will be to much of a task to re-work. I already have the wing joiner , female part, removed from the center section. All I have to do is re-align it and the part in the wing and re-sheet the bottom of the center section. I am not used to having to repair construction errors, but I am pretty good at repairing crah damage !!
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken or John, are there baggage compartments on both sides of the fuselage?
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott,

Not normally, just the port side. I have not seen any baggage doors on both sides and all of the have been pretty similar in shape. The first three photos are from 1932 Waco QCF NC 11247, The last is from 1987 YMF Classic NC 14081.

P1 Lower interior
    P2 Upper interior
    P3 Door latch opening
    P4 YMF baggage compartment

Name:	By76493.jpg 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	782143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75086.jpg 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	782144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44650.jpg 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	782145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uu64623.jpg 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	782146  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks John. I'll attatch a picture of someone else's build, it will explain why I asked, I think. Not sure who the builder is or what scale though...........
    Scott

Name:	Hf97787.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	782147  
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott,

Of the 40 different Wacos I have photos of, 29 are open cockpit and of those that have a rear baggage compartment, the Baggage Compartments have all been on the port side. Some don't have a compartment in that loction, the 2 RNFs at the Fly In did not. The one Taperwing, NX 149TW, had a retangular hatch and that may have been the builders preference, being plans built in the last few years (a 2005 NUWACO). The hatch latches have varied from 1928 with a woven wire to the combination style seen on most Wacos today. It is an original 1930s part.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, thanks for the latch photos. Scott thanks for the build picture.

On an unrelated note, I finally got high speed DSL. The world has really opened up for me.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The wonders of high speed internet!! I have DSL at work, which is where I am now, and dial-up at home. I don't even bother with it at home anymore.
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is an easy way to make a tube for slipping the servo wire through. Get a stalk of 1/2" heat shrink tubing. Take a 1/2" wooden dowel and sand it smooth. Take a bar of soap and thoroughly coat the dowel. Slide the flat heat shrink onto the dowel the desired length. Use a Monokote or other suitable hot air gun and shrink the tubing. Don't over shrink it or it will be hard to get off the dowel. Glue it to the ribs with CA.

Name:	Sq46707.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	785577  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, that's a neat idea, but where did you get 1/2" heat shrink tubing?
    BTW, I just about have my wing problem straightened out!!
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, when I posted that tip I guess I forgot that a lot of folks don't have the resources that I have for shrink tubing. I bought it a huge electronics store called Fry's Electronics here in Arlington. It comes in 3' lengths. I think a lot of people simply roll typing paper around a 1/2" dowel and use masking tape to secure it.

Sure glad you have your wing problem nearly straightened out.

Bob I went over to Ross' house last night and saw the Vega - Winnie Mae. Quite an airplane.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is my wifes "to do list" for me. Build her a lockheed Vega, a Dehaviland Beaver, and build her a Stearman PT17.She has a special affinity about female pilots.
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, as I recall you have already built your wings. I have found that building the aileron was one of the most difficult part of building the wing mainly because the outboard tip curves down on the top and up on the bottom. Trying to bend that 1/8" balsa was a bear. On the aileron tip, for about 1 1/2" I sawed slots crosswise half way through the balsa and then curved it down and liberally applied thin CA.

The good news is that it looks pretty good after a lot of work. The bad news is that I have 3 more to go.
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, I have indeed built one aileron, but I have not decided if I am satisfied with it or not. I have had other things going on and have not gotten back to them yet. Are you going to use a standard type of control horn or something more scale? Some of the guys (skylark, I think) posted some detailed photos of the full scale linkage that I don't think will be to difficult to work out for our models. That's the way I'm gonna try to go, but I'll mount the servo in the wing instead of the center section like the smaller version is done. I will find out in a few minutes if the corrections I had to make on my wing center section have worked. I epoxied the wing mounts and screwed them in late last night, so I've just been waiting for the glue to cure. Keep ya posted!!
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, here are a couple of new photos which may answer your questions. The longer this project goes on the less inclined I am to add small scale details. I'm never going to enter it in scale competition. When I get through with it I think it will look very good but not scale caliber. I'm satisfied with this wing and will use it as a model for the next three.

Getting back to the 2 degree dihedral that you were having a bit of trouble with, as you recall, my wings are going to be 1 piece. When I made the dihedral wing joiners (1/8" lite ply) I used a drawing program on my computer to make the joiners exactly 2 degrees. As long as the spars perfectly fit the joiners, and they do, it would be hard to have the wrong dihedral. This outboard wing fits the center section perfectly.

Name:	Bz78940.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	789831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez82615.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	789832  
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ken did you put the 2 degrees of dihedral in both wings like the plans call for? Do you think the top wing should have less?
    What did you do about the dihedral ?

thanks Bob
    Waco Brotherhood #35

Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast