Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Fusion and Foam don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Silent J
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fusion and Foam don't mix

I am in the process of building my first scratch-design out of pink foam. Along with hot-wire cutting technique, I also learned another important fact:

Krylon fusion and foam do not mix.[:'(]

Exhibits one and 2 show this clearly. Fortunately, I used test pieces first. I wanted to paint the foam first, and then apply clear packaging tape over the painted foam. And since Krylon Fusion is a paint for plastics, I decided to try it out. No dice[sm=thumbdown.gif] I am also testing krylon fusion OVER the packing tape to test its adhesion. Hope this can help somebody, or prevent someone from melting their plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35222.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	418284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31143.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	418285  
Old 03-01-2006, 09:50 PM
roltech

Default RE: Fusion and Foam don't mix

ORIGINAL: Silent J

I am in the process of building my first scratch-design out of pink foam. Along with hot-wire cutting technique, I also learned another important fact:

Krylon fusion and foam do not mix.[:'(]

Exhibits one and 2 show this clearly. Fortunately, I used test pieces first. I wanted to paint the foam first, and then apply clear packaging tape over the painted foam. And since Krylon Fusion is a paint for plastics, I decided to try it out. No dice[sm=thumbdown.gif] I am also testing krylon fusion OVER the packing tape to test its adhesion. Hope this can help somebody, or prevent someone from melting their plane

Tell me about it ! done that with the same results, I found a solution that worked directly or indirectly straight on the foam. I use first a shelllac base primer-sealer-stain killer called Zinsser B-I-N. Spray it on one or two times let dry between. make sure you cover all area you want to finish, than you can use a Krylon Interior-Exterior spray paint dries in 12 Minutes or less. does a good job sand between quotes. I have also use this system on top of news paper glued to the foam.

roltech
Old 03-01-2006, 11:28 PM
kstick

My experience in painting Krylon over packing tape indicated it peeled off too easily.

What I did on the pink foam delta I built was to brush a base coat of white latex enamel paint (the kind that cleans up with water). I thin sprayed several light (very light) coats over the base coat. The latex protected the foam from the Krylon if you dont spray too heavily at once. The light coats allows the Krylon solvent to flash off before it has time to attack the foam through the latex. A very heavy coat all at once would attack the foam even with the latex.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:45 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: kstick

My experience in painting Krylon over packing tape indicated it peeled off too easily.

What I did on the pink foam delta I built was to brush a base coat of white latex enamel paint (the kind that cleans up with water). I thin sprayed several light (very light) coats over the base coat. The latex protected the foam from the Krylon if you dont spray too heavily at once. The light coats allows the Krylon solvent to flash off before it has time to attack the foam through the latex. A very heavy coat all at once would attack the foam even with the latex.

Hope this helps.
kstick

I'll have to try that!

roltech
Old 03-06-2006, 03:03 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You deserve that for choosing the color of diareaha[sm=bananahead.gif]

Sorry about that. If you start with a light coat and let it flash off first you will have better luck. Also Krylon H2o paint will work fine on your pink foam. It's just a little runny and takes longer to dry. Krylon also sells "short cuts" I like it the best but it's a little pricey. Wallyworld has waterbased acrylics that can be pushed thru an air brush the cheapest tho.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Silent J
My Feedback: (2)

It looks darker than it really is. If my [excrement] was that bright of yellow, I'd have more severe problems than my paint[:'(] I was curious about the H2O paint when I saw it, but I didn't see plastics or foam listed on the materials. And since the fusion paint said polystyrene, I thought that would include EPS as well. Oh well. Maybe I misread it. Thanks for the help.