Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help On Wing Weight Needed

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Urgent Help On Wing Weight Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:32 PM
uby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Help On Wing Weight Needed

Hi All,

I am constructing a 2m pattern / AA plane.
My weight estimation for the airframe was 2500 g.

Now I am building the wings, foam core with full balsa sheeting. The weight of faom+sheeting alone comes out to be 670 g. I am hoping to acheive a wing under 1000 g.
Does any one have "Practical" ideas on where to reduce weight ? I am using mini high torque servos for the 3 inch ailerons. Hollowing out the wing in the Fish Bone configuration makes the wing really weak. Hollowing out the wing foam from the centre will produce little less weight and almost the same strength. But for a plane this large , I donot want to take any risks at all.
I still have to make the leading/trailing edges, servo mounts, fiber glassing and ofcourse covering.

Oh .... and I cannot go for a built up wing !

Can someone tell me what is the weight if the Fantasy's wing ? the Topstar II's wing ? Oxalys's wing ?

Any data and suggestion will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks people,

Usman.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Urgent Help On Wing Weight Needed

ORIGINAL: uby

Hi All,

I am constructing a 2m pattern / AA plane.
My weight estimation for the airframe was 2500 g.

Now I am building the wings, foam core with full balsa sheeting. The weight of faom+sheeting alone comes out to be 670 g. I am hoping to acheive a wing under 1000 g.
Does any one have "Practical" ideas on where to reduce weight ? I am using mini high torque servos for the 3 inch ailerons. Hollowing out the wing in the Fish Bone configuration makes the wing really weak. Hollowing out the wing foam from the centre will produce little less weight and almost the same strength. But for a plane this large , I donot want to take any risks at all.
I still have to make the leading/trailing edges, servo mounts, fiber glassing and ofcourse covering.

Oh .... and I cannot go for a built up wing !

Can someone tell me what is the weight if the Fantasy's wing ? the Topstar II's wing ? Oxalys's wing ?

Any data and suggestion will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks people,

Usman.
One thing you can do that will really strengthen the wing, but add very little weight is to use carbon fiber for the spars, CF tubing for the leading edge and some CF sheet (cut down of course ) for the TE.

CF can be adhered using CA or epoxy. You will need REALLY SHARP, STRONG scissors to cut the thicker stuff. It is not that cheap, but it is quite light and extremely strong.

I used 1/4" x .007 CF strips to reenforce the tail booms on my Transavia PL12 Airtruk (Skyfarmer)

Hope this is of some help.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86871.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	425047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10935.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	425048