Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

FREE Aircraft Plans Site - Please Visit and Comments, etc.

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

FREE Aircraft Plans Site - Please Visit and Comments, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:02 PM
brianwells123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREE Aircraft Plans Site - Please Visit and Comments, etc.

I decided to pen (well…program) a FREE website specifically dedicated to storing and cataloging free CAD plans for RC Aircraft:

www.RCBlueprints.com

There are a few sites out there which offer scattered downloads of sometimes questionable quality plans. My idea is to make a site that allows people to upload their CAD plans to share with everyone. And the most important thing is that everything is FREE. Users will be able to rate and review the plans to give their opinions, and also submit finished photos of planes their might have built from any of the site’s plans. Not all the features are in place, but they are close.

There will be standards for what is acceptable in order to keep quality the plans high. They must be in CAD format (DXF, DWG, etc.) and be in a .zip file. They also must be complete plans in that planes can actually be built from the plans. Just posting drawings of aircraft in CAD format are not acceptable. T would also be great to get some plans online that include laser cutting templates. This would make it even easier for people to get their planes completed.

My hope is to build a dedicated community specifically for people who enjoy scratch building, repairing, and designing RC Aircraft. I think I have a pretty good start already online, so I am hoping people will start logging on and helping me get some more plans up. My goal is to build a community of plans, people, and information that cater to our special niche group.

Please let me know what you think. I know I only have a few plans currently online, but the framework is there to support thousands upon thousands of plans. I need the help of a few dedicated people who are willing to share their collection with the rest of us. I have taken care of the framework, now we just need to meat and potatoes so to speak.

Last but not least: now and forever, the site will always be 100% free to end users. That won’t ever change, no matter how busy the site gets. I am not in this to make money, just to create a great community resource. If it costs me a little money every month, so be it. I would never charge end users for other people’s hard work.

www.RCBlueprints.com

P.S. I am very open to suggestions on what improvements the site needs or should have to make it more appealing. There is a section in the forums just for these suggestions. Since it is a community site, the community should get to decide what features they want, and I will go ahead and program them in for you.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Wells
Webmaster,
www.RCBlueprints.com
Old 03-26-2006, 11:18 PM
elcam84
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: FREE Aircraft Plans Site - Please Visit and Comments, etc.

I like it and have registered.(same username as here)

I really like the rules you have for them. I have downloaded I don't know how many plans and after glancing at them just deleting them. Many are incomplete poorly drawn or... I don't download any plan unless it's in cad format. I need to be able to change things or add notes or create printable templates of just certain parts without having to print out multipule sheets. Also to be able to create files for a laser or other CNC cutter. I have my home built CNC router in the rebuilding phase right now.

I hope you get allot of submissions as there are lots of good plans out there and allot on this site that have drawn nice plans but they are often difficult to find and get a hold of.

I'm still on the look out for a set of plans for a C7a in cad format.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:26 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if you can get permission to use 3DFoamy's plans. The F-18 is one of the best electric jets I have built and flown. He also has a bunch of 3d profile foamies. He site has the plans for free download but probably would like to be notified you are using them. There are also a bunch of guys in the 1/2a area that have plans to share.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
brianwells123

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. I will see if they will let me add their plans to the archive. Most people seem to be very open to the idea since the whole thing is free to all. If anyone else has a large colection of plans to share and doesn't want to manually upload them all, please contact me. I would be happy to work out another way of handling it, and still give you credit as the contributor.

-Brian
Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Very nice (so far). Check with ptulmer and bipeflyer for a few good 1/2A designs, hopefully they would be interested. There's others too, I just can't think of who at the moment.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
brianwells123

Thanks again! If people would be kind enough help me pass the word in any way possible, I would be grateful. I have already dropped a line to 3d Foamy regarding adding his stuff to the database.

-Brian
Old 03-29-2006, 01:43 PM
brianwells123

I have gotten quite a few visitors, but I would appreciate if a few people would submit plans to try and give us a kickstart. I have already added a few, but my collection is quite meager. Thanks in advance!

-B
Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I have a couple of good ones, but won't be able to post them up until June or July, when I get home. [&o]
Old 03-29-2006, 06:13 PM
brianwells123

Where are you? Military?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:14 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought is that there are several other Internet plans sites already listed at the top of the CAD forum and so noted. The Jo Jusko site centered in Texas has long been a place to donate CAD plans of A/C and is mentioned at several other international web site also. The world wide community goes there for plans at present time or drops off what they have. Oft' times, the plan will get posted for download in a couple formats. like (R-12) DXF, DWG, or BMP, TIF.

A good year ago, there was a CAD site which hosted to those interested in parts, Glow engines, etc. I think they went bust or have been quiet for past eight months now. There the host was interested in 3D work, but as there are so many different systems out on the market, the posted work could not be viewed but by a select few.

Wm.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:49 AM
elcam84
My Feedback: (2)

I think I still have that file with all the part drawings. There are allot of good drawings in it. If anyone needs it I'll dig through my HD and find it.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
brianwells123

If anyone is interested I just reviewed a pretty cool program for creating airfoils and printing and viewing plans on the site.

http://www.rcblueprints.com/reviewview.php?ReviewID=1

It is worth checking out (the program).
Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This may be "yet another" plans site but given how sites can come and go I think it's well worth the time to support another site.

Brian, I asked on the "other" board about works in progress but I forgot to ask about completed but unbuilt designs. I've got a couple that I'll mail to you but they are untried. It would only be fair to include that disclaimer at least until some brave soul steps up and proves that the things can fly...

Expect a couple of rather large attachements in your email soon...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
brianwells123

Thanks!

There are a lot of plans that I think people have not built, but would fly great. It is easy to see when things will fly. Just hard to tell how well

-B
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
brianwells123

Also, I have invested a lot of time into this site's infrastructure with a database backend and such, making it easy to update, etc.

I will be around for a long, long time. Mark my words, and make your bookmarks
Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
dicknadine

sounds super. however it leaves us old timers out in the cold. we AIN'T up to speed on computor technics and are still in the lead pencil age. any suggestions ? other than get busy and learn computor. dick
Old 04-06-2006, 03:15 PM
brianwells123

For designing? Not much. You could have someone digitize the plans for you. I am going to set up a forum for people to do that.

You can certainly download and have the free plans printed for yourself though.

I am already writing some easy to follow tutorials for converting paper plans to CAD format.

-B
Old 04-06-2006, 04:36 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Elcam84,

I'd definitely be interested in that parts file!

Dicknadine, please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to start anything up...but...it seems you always have a bit of an agenda against computer designed plans? I don't want to hijack a thread so that is all I am gonna say

Cheers,

John
Old 04-06-2006, 06:47 PM
brianwells123

I have nothing against paper plans myself, but they are just too hard to share and reproduce. Especially if you want to modify something on a hand drawn plan. And quite frankly, computer designing of plans once you know how to do it is faster, easier to change things, easier to make measurements, and more precise. I can't think of one reason (for me personally) to hand draw anything unless it is just for quick sketch to get an idea.

I think if he is into hand drawing that is cool. Just don't close the door on CAD (especially because of age!). It has replaced hand drawing for good reason. I taught my grandfather to use TurboCAD, so I am sure you could do it easily too.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Marian

Good job Brian. I hope that your site will grow quickly.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:54 AM
DVM100

Hey Brian,

this is a fantastic service you are providing and for a bloke like me who is desparate to find Corsair plans for my 65.5" H9 so I can repair or modify, it is a godsend!

many thanks.

Dave
Old 04-30-2006, 03:07 PM
brianwells123

Dave,

You're welcome! I am glad you are finding the site useful.

-Brian
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 PM
bear cub
My Feedback: (7)

Hello, Brian, I tried to download the plan of the Dr1, but my computer tells me that windows cannot download the file because windows needs to know what program created the file. What can I do to download and view this plan? Thanks for a great website, Chet
Old 12-09-2006, 06:19 AM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chet,

Its a dxf file extension - standard Autocad format. Downloaded it an viewed it on Autocad. Had no problems. If need be just email me your address off-list and I will mail it to you.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
digital_trucker

I submitted a 6-view of the AP .061 (pdf format). I can submit the full 3-D CAD drawings also if anyone wants 'em. The CAD drawings are accurate inside and out with all components rendered. Measurements taken with a digital caliper accurate to .001.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.