Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Have You Built This Power Supply ?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Have You Built This Power Supply ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Jaymom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have You Built This Power Supply ?

A dead short would be like running a piece of wire between two of those "islands" your referring to. Another example would be to do the same between the neg and pos post of a battery.

Went to Home Depot and Lowes today ended up buying exactly what I wanted at Ace Hardware with the prices just as cheap. I'm making a bow like the one you suggested from aerofoam.com. I'll post some pic's when its all done.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:10 PM
onewasp

Jaymom fprintf

Foam cutting
power supply images

Use this URL for pictures of my finished power supply.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:52 PM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

Onewasp,

Although it's hard to see, I believe your triac may be in backwards (I made the same mistake!)

The ceramic body should face away from the center of the board. Compare yours to the attached picture.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43466_17646.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	25251  
Old 12-28-2002, 04:00 PM
r degen

Default parts ?

Hey guys does radio shack have the 1k ohm 10watt resistors to replace the 470ohm 1watt resistors that they don't have Thanks Randy
Old 12-28-2002, 04:18 PM
onewasp

Jaymom

Just looked up the bow you are considering building.

It will work but its a lot of trouble for no gain and perhaps some loss. I used a similar one years ago and found it too heavy and cumbersome.

Just take a light weight piece of any readily available wood and angling slightly (5 degrees + or - ) drill 5/32" holes. insert (force) music wire into the holes so that it protrudes .5 to .75 inches on the top side . This is where you'll attach your alligator clips from your power supply. My wood is 3/8 thick x 3/4" X your choice of length. You can even find some ready cut moldings that will work----light weight is what you want not anything bordering on heavy !

Attach your cutting wire and one spring to wheel collars. Then you can slide the wire up and down to adjust the cutting height or cutting angle, should you use a pivot point (this is what I use and get one finger operation) instead of trying to hold or suspend your bow. Been there, done that and its no good.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:29 PM
wolf152
My Feedback: (13)

Default Foam cutter

I've got very little voltage on the short setting. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

wolf152
Old 12-28-2002, 04:30 PM
onewasp

RCman58

The 470 ohm resistor is a one watt, (not 10) , use it if you can find it or switch to two 1K ohm one watt resistors in parallel. Parallel resistors give one half the value, series the sum.

Radio Shack seems to have a decreasing number of components in their store so any electronics house will have the resistors you need. You can use the same wattage specified or larger --- space is the problem not wattage on R3 .
Old 12-28-2002, 04:38 PM
onewasp

Scott Smith,

Think you replied to the wrong post.

My power supply has been in operation for a year with no problems and loads of adjustment . For most bow sizes I'm set at less than 1/2 power potential.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:48 PM
Jaymom

onewasp....I don't know about anyone else but when I click on your pictures to enlarge them it takes me right back to RCUniverse. Does it do the same for you? Also please post a pic of your bow that you describe. Very interested.

The 470 ohm resistor 1 watt resistor wasn't found at any of the Radio Shacks here in town but one of them had plenty of 1K ohm 1 watt resistors so I bought a package of them and soldered two of them in parallel. They are part# 271-153.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:51 PM
onewasp

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the interest in building this Power Supply and know how much fun creating can be. Yes, I've used it for a year.

BUT foam never had a day in its life when it flew as well as built up balsa ! The only time I use it is when the design is such that a built-up section isn't feasible such as the wing tip of a two meter pattern plane using an 8 or 9 % airfoil . No room for spars etc. at the tip.

In the time we've spent on this thread you could have framed a scratch built balsa wing of ANY size. Think about it before you go foam . As the old saying goes " balsa flies better ---- it always has ". Yes, even in the 100" and up .
Old 12-28-2002, 05:17 PM
Jaymom

onewasp..... I'm sorry, we didn't realize we were upsetting you. I've scratch built more balsa airplanes than I care to remember. Foam cutting is just one more area of our hobby that I would like to pursue. We're just trying to enjoy our hobby here.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:31 PM
onewasp

Wolf152

If you are OK on the Long setting but too low on the short setting: 1. Check the value of R1 It could be too high.
They should be 10 Ohm 10 watt in parallel,
which will give you the needed 5 Ohms at 20 watts as
specified in the schematic.
2. Check your switch and connections to make certain
you don't have high resistance there .
Old 12-28-2002, 05:48 PM
onewasp

Jaymom

NO no no ! You are not upsetting me . I just wanted to point out that we can all get carried away in the wrong direction if we don't think it through.

I know I did in the past, and on foam, when Ed Izzo (now dead) introduced the foam concept to the modeling world at the Toledo Show many years ago--- I'm going to guess it was about mid sixties.

I've flown pattern designs in the Built-up, Balsa fuse-foam wing and Fiberglass-foam versions and that is why I said what I did about built-up planes.

I find it so objectionable that I now use it only in the stab area, and I'm not real sold on it there. First I go with it then without and right now I'm building without.

For my liking, I'll go with a higher drag airfoil to get that light feel in the pattern. As I said earlier, I find it true even in the 100" plus category flying an Extra with a 120 cc twin . Night and day difference .
Old 12-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Scott Smith

Scott Smith,

Think you replied to the wrong post.
Nope...that was intended for you and all those building this power supply. The unit will appear to work even if the triac is in backwards, that is until you connect a 48" bow and turn it up to 100%!

Again, I couldn't see real clear from your pictures, but is the ceramic side facing the interior (wrong) or exterior (correct)?
Old 12-28-2002, 07:41 PM
onewasp

Scott Smith

Interior, I think but now I'm going to have to go check.

Now I'm curious as to what would happen at 48+inches . But I don't have that size bow or material here to test it. Did you smoke your Triac or just run out of power ?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:01 PM
Scott Smith

Longer wire requires more wattage. Mine was working fine with a 30" bow so I thought all was OK. Then when testing with my long bow, it just stopped working. No 'smoke', but the triac was toast. I ruined two of them before TomW (the author) pointed out that the triac appeared to be in backwards. So in went #3 (ceramic outboard this time) and its been working as advertised ever since.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:34 PM
onewasp

Scott Smith,

Appreciate your passing that on to me, now I'll know enough to look before I use it again. I've been using a 26" pivot bow to cut tri-taper stab halves and that doesn't even begin to load the design.

For the next two airframes (for next season) I've gone back to built up stabs on a "stab only" jig I made . I've also gone back to my first love, (the low wing) instead of the mid wing design.

One of them will also be back to retracts while the other will be with wheel pants as usual. I know the aerodynamic advantage of retracts is debatable but I sure do like the "clean look" airborne. The slow gear up move isn't exactly ugly either .

I also fly with all the servos inside the airframe. I never have understood why we doubled the size and then hung the servos out in the breeze. You can chin yourself on my linkages so slop is simply not present . Guess it must be the building/engineering time not to mention the free tail weight for gassers.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:58 AM
Starpoint
My Feedback: (5)

Default onewasp

Where does the black wire that is with the two yellow wires go?
Thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 05:46 AM
Jaymom

Starpoint.... It doesn't go anywhere. Just cap it off.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:27 AM
Starpoint

Default Help

Got it put together tried it and it did not work only 5 volts at out put and turning knob does not change a thing. checked triac, opps triac backwards. fix that and still can't increase voltage with knob. Help Please.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you got the right transformer...?
Old 01-02-2003, 06:59 AM
Starpoint

Default got right transformer

Transformer correct. output for it is 27.83 volts.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Jaymom

Starpoint.... Did you go back to page 3 and look at the diagram that I posted? Its a lousy attempt but its the best I could do at the time. Check your wiring real good. Did you etch your PC board or did you "cut" the "islands" as the author did? Check your soldering joints.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Jaymom

Sorry, I meant to say Page 2. Also, hope you didn't burn up the pot soldering the connections to its terminals.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Starpoint

Default JAYMOM

how do i check the pot to see if i burned it up. I did use your drawing it was a great help. If I turn triac backwards Ceramic facing in I get 7 volts with no change with the pot. I used a dremel with the cutting wheel to make the islands. I checked and there is no bridges all are clean cuts. I was told that with no bow attached that I wold not see a change with pot is this true. I was just sticking the volt meter test leads into the outputs.

If it would help you can email me your number and I could call you, and you can talk me thru some things

email [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.