Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Need help from you vacuum forming gurus...

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Need help from you vacuum forming gurus...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 AM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from you vacuum forming gurus...

Ok here is what I want to do:

Create a canopy that is approximately 10 inches wide, 24 inches long and 9 inches high. Is it feasible to do this on my own? I plan on making a home brewed vacuum former. What kind of suction would I need...4HP shopvac? What thickness PETG or acrylic would I need...1/8th? I guess I'm most worried about being able to pull down 9 inches.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John
Old 04-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Need help from you vacuum forming gurus...

John, I have pretty limited experience when it comes to forming anything this big but I think you could do it. I have pulled a 16" long Spitfire canopy that is probably 4 or 5 inches deep using a standard wet-dry shop vacuum. If I were you I would probably try running two shop vacs, one in each end of the box, just to have plenty of volume and vacuum. As for material I would think that .06" might be thick enough, or possibly .09" if it is available. I wouldn't think you would need to go up to .125". Just my .02 cents based on my limited experience. Good luck with it!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John. Micro Mark has a book for 15 dollars that will answer all of the questions that you have not even thought of YET. More than worth the money.

Les
Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Wow,
What would you be using to heat the plastic up in?...at your measurements you are going to need a piece of plastic that's a minumum of 36" x 24"....I don't know of any conventional oven available to heat such a piece...plus the frame for the plastic would need to be aroun 8" high to allow for the proper amount of sag as the platic heats...you might be better off to do the canopy in 2 pieces unless you have access to a large oven..I know a commercial pizza oven is fairly large and would be big enough for you...while your there make me a large family deluxe with extra cheese and sausage!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:56 AM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Lol Tommysta! Mmmmm pizza.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a few ideas on how to heat the plastic. I am thinking of creating a heating chamber for it and either using heating coils or actually attaching my heat gun to fill it with very hot air. I am glad it appears to be feasible based on the feedback and I will begin designing everything today.

Cheers,

John