Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

enlarging tiger 60 140%

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 12:31 AM
vrpro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enlarging tiger 60 140%

The Tiger 60 has been such a joy to fly I thought it might be neat to build a large sale version of this aircraft. I took my plans down and had them blown up 140% making it a 100 inch wing span monster. When I got home I realized never having done this before, though I have built over 30 kits over the past 15 years, I may need to change the wood used in the 60 size. Here is my long wended question. I have been able to figure out the size of the sticks needed but most of the 60 size is build in Balsa with spruce for the spars and lite ply for the fuse. Should I change the wood used in the ribs, leading and trailing edge?

I am going to power it with a 41cc gas w/18" prop. Any ideas or help?

Thanks in advance...

here is the pic of the 60 size ver I am trying to build
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41911_21826.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	26326  
Old 12-20-2002, 07:12 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun idea! Use lite ply for your fuse sides. You will also want to make a way for the firewall stresses to be transferred back a little ways to spread out the load and vibration of the gasser. Something like an Engine box or simialr. Build your wing with 3/8" spruce spars and balsa ribs. Use lite ply shear webs for the first 1/4 span for added strength; the rest can be balsa. For added strength you could sheet the entire wing with 1/16 balsa, but I don't think that's necessary; maybe 1/3 span would work. I can see this being a great flying plane!
Old 12-20-2002, 09:37 AM
vrpro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info that will help a great deal! I will send pics when done. I think with its size it should fly even better than the 60 version.

Happy Flying

Keith