Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Dehidral

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:58 AM
toddmickelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dehidral

I am asking for help in determing the dehidral of the Main Wing and the Horizontal stablizer of any Commercial Aircraft flying in th U.S. I am building a scale model and need a aproxamate dehidral for a Scale Commercial Aircraft. The dehidral would be in an aprox. range because they all are on the concept of a stable design for the safety of the passengers,that is what makes them look so much alike. thanks in advance !! Todd mickelson
Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
oscar2005

Default RE: Dehidral

i doupt there is very much as the swept wing design of the jet airliners acts as dihedral.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:27 AM
toddmickelson

Thank you,

What I failed to make known is : That this particular aircraft has a straight narrow wing, designed by NASA, with a curve downward toward the trailing edge. The main wing appears to have a permanent flap built into the wing. An interesting design! The wing does have a little dihedral,I am just trying to figure out, how much. Most of the Horizontal Stablizers I have seen on Commercial Aircraft do appear to have aprox. the same dihedral but here too I can be mitaken. All I want to do is get the correct Dehidral for this aircraft.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Dr1Driver

Find a straight-on picture and measure it. Search for 3-view drawings. It might help if you would tell us which plane it is.

Dr.1
Old 06-03-2006, 10:52 PM
toddmickelson

The plane that caught my eye and looked like an easier plane to scratch build is the Saab 2000.
I have the wings custom cut, and the horizontal stabelizer.
I did talk to a friend of mine and he said to look at the plane from the front and measure the dehidral with a protractor.
So..I am getting a good amount of responces.
Thank You !!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: toddmickelson

Thank you,

What I failed to make known is : That this particular aircraft has a straight narrow wing, designed by NASA, with a curve downward toward the trailing edge. The main wing appears to have a permanent flap built into the wing. An interesting design! The wing does have a little dihedral,I am just trying to figure out, how much. Most of the Horizontal Stablizers I have seen on Commercial Aircraft do appear to have aprox. the same dihedral but here too I can be mitaken. All I want to do is get the correct Dehidral for this aircraft.
I do believe the Saab 2000 has considerably more dihedral in both the wing and H-Stab than say a 757-200.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13393.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	471404  
Old 06-06-2006, 04:21 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

here's a small trick I learned way back when.

Go to a nearby airprort. Sit at the end of the flight path.. Shoot as MANY images of as many aircraft as you want as they fy overhead.

OPEN these images up on Photoshop. Draw your centerline and your angle of attack. This will of course give you your sweep.

AGAIN, go to your airport and find whatever plane you want images of - from whatever distance. Shoot parked planes so that you are NOT guessing when you are at the FRONT VIEW. Needless to say, a good telephoto lense wil certainly help.

This will undoutedly give you a pretty close DIHEDRAL

marwen