Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Autocad 2000 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:54 AM
viper16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocad 2000 HELP

I have Auto cad 2000 and am new to CAD. In playing around with the program trying to figure out what does what and now can't remember what I did, but I somehow inadvertently made my tool bars and menus go away and can't figure out how to get them back. When stating the program the only thing I have in the menu bar is File View Windows Help and the only thing I have in the tool bar is the icon that opens a new drawing file, the existing drawing file, the floppy icon, the print icon, and the ? icon. Need help getting flustered. Thanks Greg
Old 06-03-2006, 10:58 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Autocad 2000 HELP

Been there done that. Here's what you do. Enter the following in the command line;

Command: menu {hit enter key}

You wil get a dialog box called "Select Menu File"

Browse over to c:/program files/ACAD2000/Support/ACAD.mnc

Select the file and you are good to go.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 AM
viper16

Thank You Thank You Thank You May your wings always have air. Greg
Old 06-03-2006, 12:05 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: viper16

. . .Need help getting flustered. Thanks Greg
No problem, and any time you need help with getting flustered, I can help there too.

The biggest help I can give is to recommend that you learn to use the command line. A good source for autocad commands is to open c:/program files/ACAD/Support/ACAD.pgp. The following is an exerpt from my PGP file. The character(s) followed by a comma are the command shortcuts. The full command follows after the asterisk (I have changed my shortcuts over the years so yours will be a little different)

L, *LINE
LA, *LAYER
-LA, *-LAYER
LE, *LEADER
LEN, *LENGTHEN
LI, *LIST
LT, *LINETYPE
-LT, *-LINETYPE
LK, *LTSCALE
M, *MOVE
MA, *MATCHPROP
ME, *MEASURE
MI, *MIRROR
ML, *MLINE
MS, *MSPACE
MT, *MTEXT
MV, *MVIEW
O, *OFFSET
OO, *DDOSNAP

The key to learning AutoCAD is to READ THE COMMAND LINE. In spite of what many other people post here, AutoCAD is incredibly easy to learn. The problem is that nowadays, there is little or no emphasis on using the command line. I'll give you an example; (> means hit the enter key)

Command: l >
LINE Specify first point: 1,1 >
Specify next point or [Undo]: 2,1 >
Specify next point or [Undo]: 2,2 >
Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 1,2 >
Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: c >

When I tell ACAD that I want to draw a line, it prompts me for what to do next, i.e. Specify first point. You can pick the point with a mouse, or enter x,y coordinates. after you enter the first point, it prompts you for another. Notice that it now gives you an option, ''or [Undo]''. After you have two lines, you get a second option, [Close/Undo]. If you type U >, the most recent line segment will be deleted, if you type C >, a line segment will be drawn back to the first point entered, and the *Line* subroutine will be closed and the Command: will reappear.

Here is another example

Command: c >
CIRCLE Specify center point for circle or [3P/2P/Ttr (tan tan radius)]: 1,1 >
Specify radius of circle or [Diameter]: 3 >
Command: >
CIRCLE Specify center point for circle or [3P/2P/Ttr (tan tan radius)]: 2,2 >
Specify radius of circle or [Diameter] <3.0000>: >

This time we are invoking the circle subroutine. You should be familiar with what is happening in the first three lines. After you enter the radius then >, the subroutine ends and the command prompt comes back. Here is where it gets interesting, and a little annoying.

When AutoCAD 2000 came out there were a lot of real improvements, and a couple of so called improvements that I feel were downright stupid. Notice that when I ''>'' at the command line, the circle routine comes up again. Back in the day, the right mouse button did the same thing as hitting the enter key. I draw with one hand on the mouse and one hand on the keyboard, and I go pretty fast. In updating AutoCAD to be more ''Windowsy'', they changed a default setting so that now when you hit the right button, you get a popup menu with several options, including ''Repeat last command'' at the top. Well, of course I want to repeat the last command (and quickly darnit). As for the other options in the popup, I know what their short cuts are and I have a hand on the keyboard, so lets get on wit it!.

Before I finish explaining the rest of the circle example, lets get rid of that stupid popup. In the TOOLS pulldown menu, select OPTIONS. Select the ''User Preferences'' tab. De-select the ''Shortcut menus in drawing area'' check box. Now, when you hit the right mouse button any where but the actual drawing screen, it will act like the windows right-click. But, when your cursor(cross hairs) is on the drawing itself it will act like the old school ACAD right-click.

Now back to circle.

When you have a blank command line, hitting enter calls up the last command used. Now you will notice somewthing different. I addition to the options [ . . ] you now also have a default <3.000> which is always the last value entered for a particular variable.

If you want to teach your self AutoCAD through exploring it, like I did, I hope this points you in a good direction.

Dave
Old 06-03-2006, 03:09 PM
dreadnaut

I want to add that the people who tend to learn CAD (regardless of the software used) the fastest, tend to be ''goal oriented'' learners. That is, people, like the ones who frequently post here, that ask ''how can I get a wing fillet to blend right?''. I taught this stuff, and a lot of the students I had were looking only at potential employment. Some of them lacked imagination, and had a hard time ''getting it''.

Be it a woodworker who wants to design their own furniture, or a wannabe architect doing fantasy floor plans, or the next Donald Douglas or Jack Norhtrup, hobbyists tend to make the best drafters. Putting my R/C hobby on my resume has actually gotten me at least one job. I would give a resume like that a good second look. Sadly, I do not see it on enough resumes.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:17 PM
b17mik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I may jump in here..I have A2000 also and the best way to learn this program is buy the books..there is about 6 or 7 of them from several diffrent authers..E bay is a great sourse..just type in autocad 2000 in the search box..cheap enough..Then just turn to page one and really study..This program is rather simple once it is explaned what is happening!!

Each chapter has the simple practice exercises and as you learn each,you will say "how easy"...Then when you start getting good,think of all the other programs that will work with A 2000, such as compufoil ...you draw your wing with compufoil and then import it into A2000 and draw your own airplane and then build it!!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 AM
omcusnr

Actually the BEST way to learn autocad (& most any cad prograam after that), is to find a local community college that has a drafting program. For a few nites a week & usually a $100 or so, you can learn all you need to know to get going fast. You get projects assigned, learn the commands, get feedback, and can ask questions when you're stumped.

Well worth it.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:34 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: omcusnr

Actually the BEST way to learn autocad (& most any cad prograam after that), is to find a local community college that has a drafting program. For a few nites a week & usually a $100 or so, you can learn all you need to know to get going fast. You get projects assigned, learn the commands, get feedback, and can ask questions when you're stumped.

Well worth it.
I second that. I will mention also that you should avoid the private vocational ''Institutes''. They will teach you basically the same thing, but for a LOT more money.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 AM
b17mik

Yea ,I beg to differ here..the nite schools will teach you drive, but you will never be a Indy car racer..These books are most of the times over 1000 pages long..each command and technique is explaned and then you are given a sample drawing to test on...each chapter builds on what you learned previous,and besides I can learn at my pace at the times that fit my schedule..
Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 AM
b17mik

Going back to viper16 original post..when you were in the situation you were in did you have a command line at all to type in?? I think what you did was close off the drawing without closing the program..with no drawing open then all you have is what you stated..Just hit the file button..new... and the create a new drawing wizard window will show along with all your drawing tools
Old 06-05-2006, 06:59 AM
viper16

Thanks for all the great info, I have the book, The Complete Reference AutoCad 2000 ,but just couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I have been learning quite alot. But still much to learn. Thanks Again all. Greg
Old 01-27-2007, 10:17 PM
proparc

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

I want to add that the people who tend to learn CAD (regardless of the software used) the fastest, tend to be ''goal oriented'' learners. That is, people, like the ones who frequently post here, that ask ''how can I get a wing fillet to blend right?''. I taught this stuff, and a lot of the students I had were looking only at potential employment. Some of them lacked imagination, and had a hard time ''getting it''.

Be it a woodworker who wants to design their own furniture, or a wannabe architect doing fantasy floor plans, or the next Donald Douglas or Jack Norhtrup, hobbyists tend to make the best drafters. Putting my R/C hobby on my resume has actually gotten me at least one job. I would give a resume like that a good second look. Sadly, I do not see it on enough resumes.
I am a control line stunt flyer\designer and your post is one of the BEST statements I have ever read concerning learning any cad program. I want to win major contests and that was the motivation for me learning ACAD 2000. To do the type of design and engineering work we do in F2B, cad is the only option and in my case, I needed a hardcore cad program to get the job done. You may not know the software, but you sure as hell know what the plane\planes you want to draw look like. Consequently, half the battle is done.

I learned ACAD 2000 by going down to the local bookstore and purchasing the Autocad Bible by Helen Finkelstein. None of the other books gave me the thoroughness I needed, (control line stunt is serious business LOL). For 2D drafting, ACAD 2000 can't be beat. That said, I have got some serious 3D work to do and ACAD 2000 is simply not the tool for the job, Solidworks is the best trade off between power and ease of use.

Again, I really enjoy reading your posts.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
dreadnaut

I thank you, my cat thanks you.

My view on 3d is a bit different. I started playing around with 3d in ACAD 10. About the same time, when I was a student at Long Beach State, I took classes using two early parametric modelers. GTSTRUDL, and SDRC-Ideas. Those were accessed from a main frame through workstations that were in a lab that was closed much of the time. SDRC was somewhat like Soldworks, but Strudl was all keyboard entry, and was for FEA, like COSMOS.

They had ACAD in the library. I spent hours in there. When my head would get too full of thermodynamics, I would draw model airplanes. I first realy used parametric modeling on MechanicalDesktop 3. By this time I was pretty proficient with 3d in ACAD. I have used SolidWorks, and have a copy of Inventor. I still find it easier to solve some problems in 3d geometry using ACAD.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:23 PM
2001az

I am trying to learn myself SOLIDWORKS but I have found that may be my way to think in 3D is still to AutoCAD-ish. Now when I imported a 3D wire objet to SW I was specting that all my planes in ACAD will be part of SW but what a surprise. Now I think that there are some advanteges using SW over ACAD specially in the loft department and the material definition, other than that the LOGIC behind ACAD geometrics is more friendly
see for yourself:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99527.gif
Views:	6
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	622843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31082.gif
Views:	8
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	622844  
Old 02-17-2007, 05:51 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Dreadnaught....Are you open to questions from someone who is trying to learn AutoCad....I have AutoCad LT and I am in a fog. Sorry I am not trying to steal your thread Viper
Old 02-18-2007, 12:53 AM
viper16

No problem, it's all about cad and were just trying to learn. Someday I'd like to get to the point of where 2001 is at, but having a heck of a time with 3D.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:02 PM
dreadnaut

No problem, this is one of the forums that I check frequently. The long reply near the top of this thread is a good place to start. There are a lot of books on the subject, and some of them are pretty good. However, even the best of them seem to focus on everything ACAD can do, and give little thought to technique.

First, there are some habits I like to emphasize.

1. Use polylines where ever possible.

2. Learn to use Object snaps. Do not eyeball it. If lines are not connected exactly end to end, they cannot be converted to polylines.

3. Learn to use Ortho Mode. I use the F8 key to toggle this on and off. If you want to draw a horizontal line, make sure it is truly horizontal. Again, do not eyeball.

4. If you have a line that comes up short of another line that you want it to connect to, use the Extend command. DO NOT connect it by drawing another small line segment. There are several reasons for this, one is that if you want to divide this distanse using the Midpoint Osnap, you will not get the true midpoint.

5. Use layers.
5a. object properties should almost always be set to ''by layer''. This makes layer management easier. Set the layer colors with an eye to contrast. 2001az's post above is a good example of using contrasting colors.
5b. Use a system for naming layers. For example, a wing has ribs, and spars. Name the layers W-rib21, W-rib02. . . W-spar01... etc. I use 01, and 02, instead of 1, and 2, so that when there are more than ten ribs, the layers will still sort sequentially. If you have a drawing with a lot of layers, you will come to appreciate this.

6. Learn to use dimension styles. Do not use the style called ''Standard''. It complies with no standard known outside of AutoCAD. This is because of a problem that was worse in ACAD14 and earlier versions. People would modify the ''Standard'' style to comply with their in-house style, then insert drawings from some third party that have their own version of ''standard''. They would then go crazy trying to figure out why their dimensions would get buggy. ACAD 2000 did not make this problem go away, it just made it easier to fix. Which leads me to . . .

7. Open the ''Properties'' dialog, and dock it. I leave mine open as shown here.

Name:	Hf10269.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	624401  
Old 03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Dreadnaught...Thanks for the help and reply...I have the manual, 930 pages, but I don't know if I will live that long. Thanks Dave....I live about 70 miles north of you, my golf buddy id in Fallbrook.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
rollo

Does autoCAD 2003 have the ability to demonstrate movement? What I am trying to figure out is if I build an object where would be the best place to place a pull point or what pull point would allow for better movement. I will admit that I haven't done the digging but figured I would ask the question before putting the effort if it is not even available.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:50 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: rollo

Does autoCAD 2003 have the ability to demonstrate movement? What I am trying to figure out is if I build an object where would be the best place to place a pull point or what pull point would allow for better movement. I will admit that I haven't done the digging but figured I would ask the question before putting the effort if it is not even available.
If you mean ''can it animate motion?''. The answer is yes, but. There are programs that do it better. But, if you just want to figure out linkage geometry, ACAD is a very good tool.

I have an illustration of what I think you mean. I just have to dig for it.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
rollo

I am working with a buddy on putting moving cowl flaps on a F-4u Corsair and what I am trying to figure out is if we move points or pull the cowl with a wider point will the motion be better. So some I assume some of it is linkage geometry but some is motion. If there is a better option what program(s) would you recommend?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
dreadnaut

For figuring linkage geometry, I have not found any thing better than ACAD.

These illustrations are from a 60" Ultimate that I am working on. I start by drawing a servo with outputs at the extremes of travel. Then I draw the control surface (aileron in this case) at +/- the desired max travel.

Then I draw a circle that shows how the pushrod would rortate around it's connection to the servo. Where this arc intersects a line perpendicular to the centerline of the aileron is where I want to connect to the control horn.

The following applies to the third illustration

ROTATE
Current positive angle in UCS: ANGDIR=counterclockwise ANGBASE=0

Select objects: 1 found <SELECT PUSHROD>

Select objects: <ENTER>

Specify base point: <SELECT POINT A1>
Specify rotation angle or [Reference]: R <ENTER R FOR [Reference]>

Specify the reference angle <0>: <SELECT POINT A1 AGAIN>

Specify second point: <SELECT POINT A2 >
Specify the new angle: <SELECT POINT OF INTERSECTION>

Name:	Nl30836.jpg