Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

My first build.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Lancair-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first build.

Hi all,
This is my first time building anything in about 20yrs, last time it was a kit of 2ch glider and I was 15.

This is an "Easy 3D", a free plan with RCM&E magazine, March edition.
Im not going to go into huge detail of the mistakes Ive made along the way, I look at them as lessons along the way. Like dont drink alcohol and attempt to build concurrently. The result of that combination is clearly visible in my pic. Anyway to cut a long story short, Ive got it to intial assembly stage, everything lines up nicely. Ive got sheeting the top and bottom of the fuselage,covering, installing radio gear and engine to do.

Im interested to see who pics up on my obvious mistake (following conventional methods) Im sure lots, if not all, of you will. Im also interested to hear if you would fix it ? I dont see it being a major problem other than the rib digging and laughter aimed at me Im sure to recieve from fellow clubmates, even though now they're saying dont worry about it.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35469.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	477958  
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: My first build.

I look at them as lessons along the way. Like dont drink alcohol and attempt to build concurrently.

It's hard to believe anyone had to "learn" that lesson. To save you from learning another lesson, I'll advise that you NOT attempt to FLY and drink, either.

As for the mistake, I don't know the plane, so I can't comment much. The fuselage looks strange, and it's unusual to have the servos on the top of the wing.

Dr.1
Old 06-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Grasshopper109

What no Drinking and flying? OR drinking and building? Now where is the fun in that?

As for the mistake in the plane you are right it is unusual to have the servos in the top of the wing.

Grasshopper
Old 06-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Lancair-RCU

Yeah not too sure about this no drinking whilst building or flying rules. Sounds pretty restrictive to me. Best not let the Bora Ridge guys hear about that. [&:][X(]

Yes, the glaring mistake was putting the servos in the top of the wing.

The section is very symetrical, though not exact or Id just flip it over, and I just did not notice as I was cutting and gluing etc. On advice from a few mates I didnt intend following the plans method of internal servo installation, instead using an easier vertical mounting. As a result of me changing this part and my inexperience I didnt do the servo mounts until after the wing top and bottom LE had been sheeted, thus making any visual clues it was wrong, harder to pick up. All of the above combined with a relaxing afternoon/evening with my parents involving consumption of wine and an "over eager to use glue and knife", type inexperienced builder ends up with experimental (accidental) aircraft design.

Now the story Im telling at my flying field is, "Im putting a set of floats on this model and flying it off salt water, so Im getting the servos out of the water by putting them on top. Its an intentional design mod."

It will help when I do put the floats on, which I do have, waiting to be made.
It will also help keep them a bit cleaner as my local club field can suffer drainage issues in places, making unintentional forays into wet muddy ground all the more likely.

So Im not going to change them now.