Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Foam wing building

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 04:53 PM
Rc-Warehouse-USA
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam wing building

Does adding a 1/2" to the trailing edge of the aileron effect flying characteristics of the aircraft? I am building an older 33% scale 230 Extra kit from ACE . The kit says to cut off 1/2" of the foam the entire length of the trailing edge including aileron. I wanted to leave as is, because it already has a perfectly cut edge and I can glue the 1/2" x 3/4" Balsa trailing edge to it instead of cutting then gluing. This would add an additional 1/2" to the aileron.
Is this a good idea or should I follow the kit recommendations?

Thanks
Any Info would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Ed Smith

Unless your knowledge is superior to that of the designers or kit manufacturers I would do as the instructions say.

If you stick an extra piece along the T.E. the airfoil at that point will not be correct.

It might not make any difference, however it will be a nuisance to correct it when the model is finished.

Ed S
Old 01-02-2003, 04:57 AM
balsaman

I don't think adding a 1/2" to the wing cord on a 33% aiplane will make any difference. The CG would move back a tad, however, so keep it in mind when balancing. It would move back aprox. 3/16" so thats not a lot.

good luck!

Eric