Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

RARE EARTH MAGNET CAUSING POSSIBLE PROBLEM ? !

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

RARE EARTH MAGNET CAUSING POSSIBLE PROBLEM ? !

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RARE EARTH MAGNET CAUSING POSSIBLE PROBLEM ? !

Well, I think I really put my foor in my mouth this time!

I recently asked about "HOW TO ATTACH THIS CANOPY"

A lot of great input. Someone here, locally suggested that I use RARE EARTH MAGNETS.

OK! Sounds like a plan! I oedered them in. Got hem delivered via GROUND FEDEX from Toledo to Winnipeg in 6 days.

I got two sets of four. 1/8
1/8" x 1/2" x2" with a pulling power of about 12.5 lbs

VERY BRITTLE! One of the broke just with the inherent pulling together.

I installed a set of them at the front of the canopy with a good 3/8" of balsa between the two.

Then I looked at all of the servos, all four of them in a row, about 3" away from the closest one.

--------------------------

I did a "dry" run but I can't tell if there is any interference of the magnet being so close to the servos.

Has ANYONE had any experience --- pro or con ---with this situation

marwen1
Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: RARE EARTH MAGNET CAUSING POSSIBLE PROBLEM ? !

It won't affect anything. Nothing other than the motors is sensitive to magnetism and the motors all have their magnetic fields tucked tightly in and around the motor cases in a tight field.

Now if you plated the fuselage with metal foil and put the antenna inside......
Old 07-17-2006, 09:27 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: marwen1

OK! Sounds like a plan! I oedered them in. Got hem delivered via GROUND FEDEX from Toledo to Winnipeg in 6 days.
marwen1
Hey Marwen,

You didn't have to mail order them - House of Tools has a decent selection of these magnets in a variety of sizes for reasonable $$$. For next time, of course...

Mark
Old 07-17-2006, 10:12 PM
marwen1

[quote]ORIGINAL: mmattockx

ORIGINAL: marwen1

Hey Marwen,

You didn't have to mail order them - House of Tools has a decent selection of these magnets in a variety of sizes for reasonable $$$. For next time, of course...

Mark
I can honestly say that I don't know if there are any of that chain here in Winnipeg.

I had been told that a certain "tool" store here in town hgad lots of them. When I went to there main store, they told me that what they buy in bulk is put into their SURPLUS section. When they run out --- they're gone.

That being said, This company I bought them from is called NATIONAL IMPORTS. They are in Toledo, OHIO.

I ABSOLUTELY refuse to give out my card numbers on-line. I don't care hoe "secure" they claim their site is. Some years ago I bought a $30 pair of sunglasses on-line. That ultimately cost me in the neighnourhood of $5K

This company offerred to be paid by PURCHASE ORDER.

Seeing as how I have a small retail business, I just happenned to have a few of them around.

If I recall the whole order was only about $25 - $30 or so. I've already sent them out a cheque.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:17 PM
marwen1

Thanks Bruce: I got to lookin' at that and just about had a heart attack. It's amazing though how many HOBBY shops don't have a clue to answers to questions like that. I made a couple of c alls out to BC ealier tonite (after 5PM my time) to your LHS. All I got was --- Duh!!!

Oh well, I new I'd find a straight answer her in the forums

marwen1
Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

Also, while not causing radio problems the magnets you bought are HUGE. You could have used 1/4"x1/4"x1/8" and been ok They are very strong.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:15 PM
marwen1

I tried them with ONE set of four -- each having to work their magic thru at least 3/8" of plywood

Thanks

marwen1
Old 08-06-2006, 03:25 AM
slopemeno

I use them for canopy latches all the time. I buy the little ones that Radio Shack carries here in the US. If you can work out a way to avoud having to seperate the magnets with wood, they are amazingly strong. Never had a radio problem that I could detect, and I've flown planes equipped with magnets (about 1/2" from the receiver) to the limits of my vision.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:37 AM
marwen1

Well, that being the case, I realize these are a little heavy but the saving grace is that they are ALL in front of the CG. I had an mpg file a few weeks ago and it was timed within 15 secs so that it would illustrate the removal of the hatch and then the replacement of it. Upon the release of the hatch it acutally "snapped" with a bang back into place.

If it seems like its goping to be overkill, I'll just install smaller ones.

marwen1
Old 08-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Wufnu

They're not hurting anything being that large, and with all that wood in the way, whatever works! If you can remove some wood where the magnets are you could use smaller ones to save weight, but if the small weight isn't critical I wouldn't worry about it (and you can wow the guys at the field with the self actuating and automatic aligning canopy).

I used too many magnets the first time I used them, also. I pretty much cut a GWS ME-109 fuse in half to "make" a cowl for the front and used four sets of 2 3/16" circle by 3/16" thick magnets to hold it on. After I got them all installed I found that to pull the cowling off takes enough force that if you're not careful you can rip the front in half, so you have to be extra careful when removing it. I can literally grab the plane by it's cowling now and spin it around my head o.O There's no space between the magnets, everytime I put the cowling on I'm glad my fingers are not between them. I did the same for my battery hatch, just overkill.

Where magnets could cause problems is a magnetically induced current, and unless wires are moving around it's a non-issue. Even then, it wouldn't make much emf.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
marwen1

The closest "wire" that is moving is inside the goldenrod control cables and they all travel 90 degrees to the magnet and is at least 3" away. I couldn't feel any pull on them at all

marwen1
Old 08-08-2006, 02:24 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I had a big rare earth magnet for a machine we were building. It was about 4 x 6 inches and 1 1/2 inches thick. I had it resting on my lap while checking it out. The phone rang and I rolled up to my desk. BANG the dam thing lifted off my legs on the bottom of the desk drawer. Had a heck of time getting off between laughing and pulling on it.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM
marwen1

Holy Cow, Batman!

I dropped my coffee all over myself while laughing at this post.

Good stuff!!

Do ya have ANY idea what the pulling power was on that little puppy?

marwen1