Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

First Scratch build Plan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
blindguarden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Scratch build Plan?

Hello everyone!

I have always wanted to build from Scratch...so I thought I would give it a shot because I find that building from kits just to easy and I would like something a little more challenging.
So with that in mind I would like to know everones opinion on what would be a good first Scatch build from plans would be? what was your first scratch build plane? I would like to keep it in the 40-60 glow size. And if you have some links to the plans that would be great.
I have looked at the stickys but was unsure what would be a good first Scratch build from plans.

thanks in advanced,
Blindguarden
Old 07-23-2006, 10:40 AM
XTOL

Default RE: First Scratch build Plan?

My first scratchbuild was an Ultra Sport 60 from the RCM plans.
That is one sweet flying airplane...

Mike Hammer
Old 07-23-2006, 09:10 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It would help if you would metion what sort of model you're looking for. Every category has it's "favourites".
Old 07-23-2006, 09:44 PM
blindguarden

Type of model does not really matter (maybe sport) I am just looking for something to get some experance on when it comes to scratch building from plans just as long as it is a glow model in the 40 to 60 range. [8D]
Old 07-24-2006, 12:33 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Look at Mike Hammers web page at his Ultrasport. its an awesome little plane. for a first scratch build i would suggest that one.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hots:

http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/de...4841&catego=PL

Hots 60:

http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/de...2861&catego=PL

Both are easy building, great flying models. The original with a strong 40 is a rocket and a major contrast to the slow flying fun fly planes you see today.

Mark
Old 07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first scratch built was a Hots from RCM plans. Great plane to build and awsom to fly.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 PM
XTOL

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

Look at Mike Hammers web page at his Ultrasport. its an awesome little plane. for a first scratch build i would suggest that one.
If anyone was wondering the link to my Ultra Sport build
photos is:

http://www.tesla-2.org/~mhammer/us60/

Let me tell you this is one plane that DOES live up
to all the hype. It is the best flying plane I have
had the pleasure of flying.

Mike Hammer
Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are alot to chose from.original ugly stick 60 size,quick and easy build,the above two mentioned aircraft.kaos or super kaos,vk cherikee plans are available thru john pond collection at the ama.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:16 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Hi There Blindguarden,
I got the same feeling you have and Im enjoying doing my own airplane too.I wanted some thing bigger than the 1/2A planes I make.Not even 1/2A more like 1/12 .Im starting mine from the wings.Im going to make it partial see through like a 3-D plane I got a 4 foot wing span going.The extra stick you see will come off later.I bought a 1/12 cowl and a bigger than that canopy..lol Those and landing gear for a stunt style plane.The fuslage is the hardest part for me. I got a Dare hobby engine.which is far from being detailed as was described.But when I get done with it it should look real.They have a web site and go to assesories parden my spelling please. Dont even try using CA to do the engine,but what did work well for me is a plastic model glue thats simular to CA.Its called Tenax 7R its in a bottle. Well anyways I have some pics to share of what Ive done so far.I can only work on it for short peirods of time due to my leg condition.
Just mentioning that so you will understand why I wont have rapid building pics. Would any of you have sugestion's on making a fuslage?It will be about five inches or so diameter. Is it easyer to make halfs like the kits or leave them hole.I find cutting out the center's to be a hard task. I want to mount the wings high on the sides of the fuslage like the "Great planes Minnow" I also have aluminum tubes I was going to use a connection support through the first two ribs on each wing.I also made the wings fist rib cantored so they would go back slightly and also a slight dehidral to them.Im hoping to be able to make this pile of wood fly..lol Well heres some pics of what I got so far.The ribs will also be like I-beams when I atach the thin slats I have for them like the way im holding them in place in one pic. I wish I had a local freind into building planes.I think if I get into the senior building some day I would try and start a club.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65379.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	498688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70899.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	498689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66470.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	498690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81617.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	498691  
Old 07-29-2006, 03:30 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry for the double post just cant seem to fit the rest of my pics. Oh by the way those mini wood plane's work well on the leading edge for shaving it down..lolas you can see I have alot to shave down.Anouther good trick I found is to use a palm sander to sand the backs of the vacuformed parts while there on the sheet,in order to release them.Just know where the thin spots are so you dont over do themthe outer area of the cylinder heads was thick while the inner area was paper thin. Well hope you dont mind me joining in on your tread.I just love using my daughters digital camera for this hobby.I got some nice out doors pics too in my gallery if any of you would like to visit it. The one that dont get a vote I chuck em so dont think I havent had some bad pics up there...lol oh by the way Im not using any plans for this plane,Thats why I was asking about fuslage tricks to cut time.I only planed a birch wood fire wall the rest balsa.Also do you think either my 0.9 or my 0.15 will get it up off the ground.the wings you see don't have the flaps on them yet they are quite wide like a slow pokes wing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37851.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	498696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64453.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	498697  
Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 PM
blindguarden

Nj,
looks like your doing a good job on the build [8D] keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:17 PM
blindguarden

I forgot to ask lol....Does anyone know where or how I can get a copy of the Katana plans? Or can someone send me a copy?

thanks,
Blindguarden
[email protected]