Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

balancing question,,

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default balancing question,,

I have been told it does not matter if you balance a plane up-side-down or right-side-up, yet it seem's most planes are balanced (for flight) up-side-down,,, errr why ??

can I balanced my plane right-side-up ??

my plane is the WMM Miss Los Angeles, 73 inch span, 74 inch fuselage..

see a Miss Los Angeles here,,,
http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfartic.../v12-2-34.html

Jim
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: balancing question,,

ORIGINAL: the Wasp

I have been told it does not matter if you balance a plane up-side-down or right-side-up, yet it seem's most planes are balanced (for flight) up-side-down,,, errr why ??

can I balanced my plane right-side-up ??

my plane is the WMM Miss Los Angeles, 73 inch span, 74 inch fuselage..

see a Miss Los Angeles here,,,
http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfartic.../v12-2-34.html

Jim
High wing planes are balanced right side up. Low wing planes are balanced upside down. If you have retracts make sure they are retracted before balancing.

The reason for the right side up/upside down is to put the majority of the mass (weight) of the plane below the surface you are balancing from. It makes it much easier to balance the plane this way.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 AM
the Wasp

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

""High wing planes are balanced right side up. Low wing planes are balanced upside down"",,, thanks for the reply,, I just did a search and found that same info..

Jim
Old 08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And Bi planes are best balanced up-side down as well.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

And Bi planes are best balanced up-side down as well.
That's a new one on me. Why? Granted that with most biplanes it would be optional but why do it upside down over right side up?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most bi planes have the CG point on the upper wing. If the bi-plane is of a positive stagger then the CG point is usually at a point on the upper wing, this usually very near the leading edge of the lower wing. So if you try to put a bi-plane on any type of balancing machine it won't work as you can't get the CG point on the lower wing. This is just a much easier way to balance a Bi-plane on a machine. Now if you use the method I sometimes use wich is the way you balance a full scale aircrafte then it doesn't matter as you will have the plane ( bi-plane or other type) on it's main gear any ways. It is just a one time taking of measurments and weights on different spots of the plane then calculating the proper balance weights on each of the main gear and or tail wheel. Works evrytime on any scale plane. I have a Excell spread sheet all set up with the proper calculations for the cells. I can use it on any plane as long as I know the suggested CG point of the plane. All I need to do is change the values in the proper cells and it is balanced spot on.