Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

SU-26 Model Airplane News Plans

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

SU-26 Model Airplane News Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:54 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU-26 Model Airplane News Plans

Well, I built and flew the MAN Kaos 90 so now I'm holding a set of Sukhoi 26 plans in my mitt.

There aren't any engine recommendations, weight or other related spec's on the 2 plan sheets.

Has anyone else build this plane from these plans???? I'm especially mystified about the use of 1/32" balsa sheeting on the top and bottom center section?!? 1/32" seems AWFUL thin to me. The mounting of the landing gear in the forward wing center also blows me away.

I'd appreciate any input, guys!

PM
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: SU-26 Model Airplane News Plans

PM, I built the Sukhoi SU29 from an earlier set of MAN plans. Although I have been scratch building for too many years to count, and used good quality wood, I suffered left stab failure, followed by right stab failure. The result was a foregone conclusion. Granted, the SU29 was larger than your SU26, but I think there is a design deficiency in the stab location. The reason I say that is that years ago I was flying a friend's Sukhoi that he built from a Goldberg kit, and coming downhill from a split S I suffered flutter, servo failure, and crashed. On mine, same high speed split S and the stabs broke just outside of the fuselage joint. On mine I had two high torque metal gear servos, so didn't have servo failure. The plans didn't show tail bracing which I should have put on anyway, but didn't. On yours, even though it is smaller, use kevlar line to brace the tail assy. It won't add much weight but may save a servo/tail failure. I think there is a lot of turbulence across the tail, even on the smaller models which are extremely light structurally. 1/32 seems very thin to me as well, but I have a tendency to beef things up where I think I need it. I'm not familiar with your model, but I think you can find a similarly sized high performance ARF advertised in one of the magazines that should give you some idea of how much engine to use. By the way, I mounted my LG in the center of the wing and even though the wing broke up on impact, the LG was still attached to the structure that was intact. Just brace it properly and I don't think you'll have any trouble. Lee
Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: SU-26 Model Airplane News Plans

Look up SU-26 at www.rcgroups.com I scratch built one of these from the ziroli plans.
Great flying plane.