Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

planking fuselage advice needed

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

planking fuselage advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 09:01 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planking fuselage advice needed

If you're going to use foam... why not do the "lost foam" system?
Make the formers and the rough (slighty oversize) foam blocks for between formers. Stack and tack-glue with a couple of dowels (DON'T glue in the alignment rods...) or steel rods to ensure alignment is right. Sand and shape the foam to match the formers. Plank the plane. (Pull the rods only when they are in the way of finishing the planking...) Use acetone or other solvent to disolve the foam out.

As for how thick of a planking, and former spacing... More formers... thinner planking. And... is the planking the only longitudinal structure? Or are you running some square stock longerons? What size engine and what target weight for the plane? (that size a .46 will fly {scale performance, not sport model performance....} it if its under 7 lbs. Or you might go up to a 1.8 4-stroke... and need a LOT more structure.) And do you plan to fiberglass the fuselage? (can go with less formers, thinner planking... vary the glass thickness along the fuselage and have the glass to be the main structure...)

We need more info on what you're doing....
Old 07-21-2002, 09:18 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Building a Gee Bee? (the only thing I can think of that would have that huge a round fuselage If so... don't fully plank, just stringers and fabric cover. Its scale. The box inner structure you chose should be plenty of strength. (and would be as good as a jig for keeping the rest straight.)
Old 11-01-2002, 12:06 PM
Heavy Date

Best way to get nice even planks is to get a Master Airscrew balsa striper and glue a piece of 1/4" square to the bottom of it. It makes nice, even, beveled planks.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Mark Turner
My Feedback: (29)

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how...rip_plank1.asp
Good page with good notes using the balsa stripper
Old 11-05-2002, 06:00 PM
Cottond

I am nearing completion of a "cartoon seaplane" with exaggerated features. I used 3/32 balsa stripped from
5/16 down to 1/8, depending on the amount of contour. Medium CA worked beautifully, but there was quite a bit
of flex between the bulkheads. My solution was to make a "Titebond Soup," 50% glue, 50% water. Shake well
and paint onto the inside. Allow to dry and Bingo, no more flex. Stress free sanding. I tried the bevel planking,
but I found it to be an enormous waste of time. The fuse is 3/4 finished with both sides, bottom and nose fiberglassed (two layers on nose and bottom) for an all up weight of 3.5 pounds. What do you think?

P.S. Are you building from plans, or 3-view? I have been considering the I-16, but haven't found good plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cfp016a.jpg.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	6