Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

dxf program

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 PM
sharpshooter223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dxf program

ive been after this for very long time (acctually its only been a week or so and im just that lazy). i have been searching the internet for a program that can open dxf files and have found nothing. does anybody know of a free ENGLISH program that i can download for this purpose?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dxf program

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/prod...eDrawings.html
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
sharpshooter223

not so sure of it, but it should work, i just hope it lets me print at full size, if somebody could give me a link to an autoCAD download, that would be excellent
Old 09-14-2006, 01:53 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Do a google search on "DXF viewer free". The last time I did that about a year back I got about 6 programs to either simply view it or links to free CAD programs that were able to open dxf files.

If you're looking for full size print support you may find that you need to get a CAD program. As I said there's a few freebies out there and recently the non current versions of TurboCAD have been selling for $20 or less off ebay.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 AM
RRW_SOAR

AutoCAD has a DXF viewer, if my memory doesn't fail I would swear the program name is Volo View.

If you want to view DXF files and print them, try [link=http://www.profili2.com/ip_eng/default.htm]Isiplot [/link] by Stefano Duranti, the maker of [link=http://www.profili2.com/eng/]Profili [/link]

Regards.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:16 AM
dolanosa

I think ProgeCAD LT is free as well. It's crippled a little bit but you can do most basic stuff. Also, there were open source CAD programs b3efore that were distributed freely but now they're marketed. Maybe there are some that are still around.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:47 PM
sharpshooter223

i am mostly looking for a program where i can just download the plans, open them with the veiwer, stick them to whatever size i am feel would be the best aste of materials, and then print it off in a grid view. i have a veiwer for dxf files that will let you zoom in and out, but it will only print them to page, or full size, and i tend to scale down larger plans as to fit a .061 engine. so i dont think that veiwer will work for long
Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You want the new version of Blackflight models Tileprint. It'll do just what you want from either graphics files like JPG's, GIF's an PDF's and it'll also do DXF drawings as well. It's not free but it's so versitile that it's well worth the $16 the author wants for it. Check it out at http://www.blackflight.com/tileprint/
Old 09-15-2006, 02:31 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Like Bruce said "tileprint". It will allow you to print in different sizes as you can vary the scale. I had been looking for this type of program for years.......... Andrew did a great job! I think it is the best $16 you will ever spend.

turbo
Old 09-15-2006, 05:35 PM
sharpshooter223

unfortunatly i dont have the $16 right now
Old 09-17-2006, 07:09 AM
RRW_SOAR

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

Like Bruce said "tileprint". It will allow you to print in different sizes as you can vary the scale. I had been looking for this type of program for years.......... Andrew did a great job! I think it is the best $16 you will ever spend.

turbo
Isiplot can do the same thing...
Old 09-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Betterfly

If your are looking for a short term application the 30 trial of AutoCAD will allow you to manipulate the DXF into a DWG where you can edit the drawing in whatever form you desire within the 30 days

There are other options you may consider like the viewers mentioned or other CAD software

http://www.betterfly.ca/BetterFly/RC_design_tools.htm

Betterfly ~v~
Old 09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
sharpshooter223

ok, i just need a free downloadable veiwer that can open dxf files. it needs to be able to resize plans, and it needs to be able to print them (the free version of isiplot cant do either). please send the link that goes straight to the site, not a link to links to the site.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Have you gone to CADALOG yet? There are a number of free viewers and printers there. Problem here is in that Autodesk now has devised several versions of the once popular DXF format. If you try to view a modern drawing in an earlier viewer version, it won't work. Simple thought, for that version hadn't been invented yet. First need to view the header information on the file you are trying to see, in order to determine what version it was done in. Then look for later dated version of a viewer.

The Voloview once offered by Autodesk is no longer free nor will accept late model file structure. The fee based systems will accept modern file structures, but they it ain't free no longer.

Wm.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Betterfly

I was only trying to help... A little leg work might have been worth it.

Here....

http://www.infograph.com/products/dwgviewer/

Old 09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
sharpshooter223

after all of your responses i have come to a conclusion...none of you knows of anymore free CAD's than i already do, or they just wont work for some reason (i had a good one right in my hands and then my computer turned on me)
Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember you get what you pay for and since you paid nothing you got nothing if you want free cad programs then go to the illegal software/hack sites and take your chances.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
dolanosa

ORIGINAL: sharpshooter243

after all of your responses i have come to a conclusion...none of you knows of anymore free CAD's than i already do, or they just wont work for some reason (i had a good one right in my hands and then my computer turned on me)
Well then, do you remember the place where you got it from? You had a bunch of people helping you out here with a bunch of ideas. From what I see, you wanted to do several things. You wanted an app that will enable you to view DXF files. Then you wanted to resize them and print them full size. Then you wanted to tile them.

Ok, I gave you ICAD 2k which will read your DXF and is a fully fledged CAD program. You should be able to do what you want with the DXF file and even conert them to native AutoCAD DWG files. As for printing, there are several ways for you to not even use Tileprint. One way is to make your paper size as a grid on your drawing to find out how much paper you will use as well as a zoom tool. Make that a separate layer. Now scale your grid to make space for your margins, ref points, etc. Zoom into one area and print that area as a 1=1 ratio. Repeat. It's not rocket science or a triathlon. It just takes a few keystrokes.

Or you can just have someone else do it for you if you're really lazy.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Betterfly

To set the record straight…. I know something about CAD… obviously you don’t, You have an anger problem. People here try to help you and what do you do….? Bite the hand that feeds you.

Like I said…. A little leg work might have done some good, Had you read a little more the link I gave where some choice.

You want the silver platter. It is a good thing I’m not an angry person…you would still have nothing…

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

after all of your responses i have come to a conclusion...none of you knows of anymore free CAD's than i already do,
It is sad that you think that way....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87111.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	527550  
Old 09-21-2006, 12:10 AM
dolanosa

ORIGINAL: Betterfly

You want the silver platter. It is a good thing I’m not an angry person…you would still have nothing…

I'm starting to suspect our friend sharpshooter is trolling.