Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Blowing up plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing up plans

I found plans for the Rearwin Cloudster I want to scratch build. The plans are sold as follows:

1/32, 50%
1/12, 100%
1/8, 150%
1/6, 200%

They are printed from digital files and sold at the above scales, 200% being the largest they will print at. I however wish to build this plane at 1/4 scale, which would have about a 96" wing. The largest scale sold being 1/6 only builds into a 68" wing.

My question is how well would plans blow up to 1/4 scale from any of the above mentioned sizes? In other words, would I be better of starting with the 50% or 100% scale then blowing up to 1/4 scale, or get the 200% size and blow them up from there?

I gather these are high quality drawings based on the little info I have. The price list that was sent to me states these are printed from digital files on electrostatic archive quality paper. Unfortunately, the guy that drew and sold these plans passed away not too long ago and his wife is continuing to sell the plans. She was honest with me in that she knew very little about them beyond how to get them printed and shipped from the files she has.

Thanks.
Bob
Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Betterfly

Default RE: Blowing up plans

You did say digital files. Does this mean CAD files? If so, By obtaining the files you should be able to have the plotted by a reproduction center a place where here architects or engineering firm would have their overflow get processed. Most of these places will support most kings of files. You would only need to supply the files and ask for the scale you need them to be. I hope this helps?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
T_om

ORIGINAL: Betterfly

You did say digital files. Does this mean CAD files? ...

Actually, he said "...are printed from digital files on electrostatic archive quality paper."

Anytime you are working paper, it is best to get as large a scale as possible provided you can get it scanned. That is the key. It doesn't help you if you have a huge set of paper plans and can't either scan them or get them scanned. Get a size you can digitize yourself then read that into a CAD program and scale it to whatever you want.

Tom
Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Please provide a link to these files so we can see what format they are in.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:12 AM
flymeaway

[link]http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/lab/4515/gbook.htm[/link]

Not much info on the site. I also checked the price list that was sent to me and didn't find much more info. I haven't had the chance to call Mrs. Clements to inquire if she even has digital files. I thought I read on the price sheet they were printed from digital files, but apparently I made that up in my head.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

If you can get a copy of the digital file (most unlikely I must assume) then you can rescale it with a decent raster program as you send the data to a large format printer. Some of the Kinkos around the country have these and sometimes they even have employees that can scale the output. These same Kinkos and most high end architectural reproduction services, have scanners that can take an image and rescale the output directly to the large format printer. Think Kinkos is now at $1 per square foot.

I can't see any reference that these drawings are for scale models. If not then one must seriously consider the construction when down sizing. Have you found other sources for plans of the plane?

Love the GeeBee's.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
flymeaway

I've been on a mad hunt for a week or so looking for plans for the Cloudster and this is all I could come up with (well, someone else did, can't remember who though). These are definitely scaled for models. I guess Mr. Clements was quite a builder and flyer of RC aircraft.

I'll call Mrs. Clements tonight to see if the files are digital. If not, I think I'm going to get the 100% size, which is a 36" wingspan (1/12 scale), have it scanned at work then I'll rescale and output to our large format. (I work at an advertising agency so we have some cool stuff lying around.)
Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Cool stuff is right! I would draw you a plan in exchange for time and output on your large format printers!