Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Avro Arrow Cad plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Mark DiMonte
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avro Arrow Cad plans

I have just completed a set of cad drawings for an Avro Arrow .45 pusher design. Wingspan 37.5 inches, length 53 inches. Weight just over 6 lbs. The plane is all built up and flies off grass.
E-mail me at [email protected] for pictures and some video clips of flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48507_7190.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	29019  
Old 02-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro arrow

Some Pics

Name:	52392_7190.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	29020  
Old 02-03-2003, 06:30 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's truly a gorgeous model there Mark. How about some more info on how it handles in various flight modes. And what are the possibilities of copies of the plans becoming available?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro Arrow Plans

Bmatthews, I have plotted the plans and they are for sale for $35.00 Can plus shipping which includes a decal set that I have made and fuelproofed. E-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you some video clips of flight as well as some more pictures.

Name:	52424_7190.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	29021  
Old 02-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Cdallas2

That looks AWESOME. I love it. How about making a dolly instead of having those big ugly wheels.

I'm glad someone finally made a good model of one.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default dolly for arrow

Cdallas, A dolly would make flight look great however the prop would get messed up on landing. It is too low to the belly of the aircraft. I have since purchassed retracts and will be installing them this winter. They will have to go in the fuse to keep the landing gear legs at a reasonable length. It is not scale as the Arrow had long landing gear located in the wing but when retracted, Im sure would look great and add to performance. There is more than enough room in the fuse so we will see how it goes. MAD out.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM
DutcheR

can you upload the cad planes (digital)
Old 02-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro arrow cad plans

Yes they can be uploaded, they are in autocad format. dwg or dxf however, if I sell you the files, you must sign a "non-contest aggreement" form that states that you will not print and sell the plans to anyone. Being from the Netherlands, I don't think it will be a problem. I think I would still ask for $35.00 Canadian and I would send you the jpeg of the decal setas well. I think this is reasonable because the dwg file will allow you to scale the drawing up or down for any number scales. I hope this is the answer you wanted. MAD out.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Scaled up Arrow

I have had a request for a largwer version of my arrow and will be plotting one that has a wingspan of 50 inches and a length of about 73 in. Anybody interested? MAD out.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:29 PM
DutcheR

do you still have the model ? in cad file or something if yes can you upload it ?
Old 02-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Mark DiMonte

Yes they are in autocad and could be uploaded and scaled to any dimension.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:56 PM
DutcheR

where can i download them :P? or can you upload them and gimme the link :??
Old 02-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Arrow plans

Dutcher, I am selling the plans. Ispent two years making them. I will sell you the file so long as you agree not to sell it to anybody else.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro arrow

Hi Folks, I have just completed a crude website that you can check out pics and some video clips of my .45 size Arrow in flight. Go to www.babydecor.ca/rcavroarrow/
Old 02-22-2003, 02:26 PM
rsieminski

I don't think anyone in the SPAD world, has ever seen a set of plans for sale. Thats not what it's all about. I hope this is not a trend. They have other places on this board if you want to sell stuff, not here.

SPAD's are all about sharing ideas, and solving problems. Kinda' like open source software. Problems get solved much faster, and the progression of the techniques, planes, concept is accelerated. Someone posts a problem, and sometimes, dozens of possible solutions are replied. Someone comes up with a new design, the post it along with build photos.

Good luck on your plans biz, but I don't think it should be posted here, and it's definitely not SPAD.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro Arrow

Perhaps you are right about where this is posted. I am new to this game. However, this model is SPAD and I am very proud of it. I am trying to post it in as many sites as possible to get the news out that it can be built. If you know how expensive it is to plot a drawing, you would know that I am not in this for the money. I am simply trying to subsidize my next arrow which will be a construction article for MAAC. MAD out.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Cdallas2

Hi Mark,

I must say again I sure like your Arrow. I'm into this CAD thing pretty heavy myself and I keep updating my designs at least once a week when I discover something different I can do. I noticed that with such a wide fuse could you not put the retracts in on an angle. The Great Planes F-14 did this and it worked quite well. Also what do you think about elevons. Have them pinned like Corsair flaps. That would save you the weight of the outboard servos. Is there enough room in the tail to have the servos in the fuse and just use torque rods.

I give you all the best of luck in selling plans. I'm going to do the same thing when (or if) my latest prototype works.

Are you plotting each copy or are you doing an original and just getting copies made?

Anyway just some ideas and thoughts. Just how good did you feel when it touched down after its first flight?

Isn't that what R/C'ng is all about?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro Arrow

Cdallas. When it touched down for the first time, I actually laughed. I could not remember when I felt that much joy. I felt like a kid. The people who were with me also celebtared. Without sounding corny, I felt like a kid who just got the best toy ever. Weird. As far as the landing gear, I have posted on another thread about doing the landing gear exactly as you said a la great planes F 14( I have one) I bought the gear and the retract servo for my next seccond Arrow. Lots of room in the fuse for the elevator servos but this makes the wing permanent. Elevons would definately work as my foam full size glider and an epp electric version both used elevons. Thanks again for the compliments and let me know if you need any help figuring out stuff. MAD out.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro arrow retracts

Began retro-fitting my arrow for retracts. Would have been much easier to do during construction. I have one main done and will post some pics as well as former outlines for retro- fitting the gear as soon as I am done.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Avro Arrow Retracts

Started cutting fuse for retracts and installed them without too much troubble. I will be creating some new formers to accomodate the installation during construction. I will post jpegs of these on my website as soon as I make them. www.babydecor.ca/rcavroarrow/ MAD out.

Name:	69345_7190.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	29022  
Old 04-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default retracts

more pics

Name:	69350_7190.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	29023  
Old 04-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Arrow retracts

Completed the installation of the retracts over Easter and all is well. One servo controls all three and they look and work great. I have not tested yet because of poor weather but the whole conversion only added 7 oz. so the plane now weighs just under 7 lbs. The motor/ prop combo puts out 6.5 lbs of thrust so the added weight should not be a problem. I will take some pics tonight and post them tomorrow. MAD out.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Retracts are in

Retracts are in my Avro Arrow and the all up weight was only increased by 7 oz. Three mechanical and one servo working flawlessly. I am waiting for some good weather to try them out. I will post the new formers and some more pics on www.babydecor.ca/rcavroarrow/

Name:	73073_7190.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	29024  
Old 04-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Cdallas2

Looking really good Mark keep us updated.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Mark DiMonte

Default Arrow Retracts

Retracts are the way to go!! I flew my Arrow with the retracts in it on Sunday. The plane's speed jumped when the gear went up. It was so nice to see the clean lines of the plane and how groovy the plane then became. I will try and post some more video clips of flight with the retracts ( my wife was the camera person this week end) I will take some measurements and draw some pictures of how to add retracts to the plane. I had to fool with angles and cut outs to retro-fit thses ones so I need to measure and calculate how the formers will be altered. MAD out.