Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Question about PDF Printing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:35 PM
blindguarden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about PDF Printing

Hello everyone,
I hope someone can help with my questions.
I converted a DXF file to PDF to have it printed. When I went to the printer and had them printed and got back home and mesured the print, they were not printed to scale IE: the wing was supose to be 64" but after the printing I messured the wing plan and it messured out to be 58". I know that it was printed at 1:1 scale as I had watched him while he printed them. I know that when I converted the DXF file I convered it to a 1:1 scale so what could have went wrong? Why did it print so far off scale?
the Plans Call for a size 60 glow but with is being 6" off scale all the way around, would there be any problems leaving it that way and just putting a smaller glow (around a 45, 50 or 52 glow size) on it? If there would be a problem then how would I get it to make sure the PDF scaleing is right for printing?

thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 08:09 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Question about PDF Printing

Many things could have gone askew. What version of Acad and which Adobe PDF printer driver?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:15 PM
blindguarden

Sorry I should have said that lol.....AutoCad 2002 and AutoDWG PDF converter
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

OK. Then you set up the printer in the model tab or the layout tab? If you did a viewport in the layout what did you scale it to? If you set up the printer in the model space what was the Plot scale set to? Not to doubt your capabilities with the software but I have been known to overlook a few things when tweaking the work for plotting.

I use the PDF add in from the Adobe Acrobat Pro software and set the printer up as a DWF. I've not had good luck with the direct Adobe PDF printer driver.

If you want you can zip up the DXF and send it to me. PM me for an email address.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:02 PM
blindguarden

PM sent thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 08:45 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

I've tried many PDF converters and they all did what you described. I'm now using AutoDesks DWF writer software (free download) and found a printer that can print from DWF files. I know this software doesn't change the scale of the plans in the conversion process.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

I like the DWF conversion. Sure wish I could get my local large format shops to change over. They seem to think they are stuck with their misguided $120,000 investment in dedicated software and hardware. Any format I give them they have to convert it to a TIFF to send it to their printers. So they take a 38kb file and make a 15mb file out of it then charge you for it along with their over priced print outs.

Kinkos does take a PDF but you have to watch what the operator does as they will not set the scaling corect on the printer set up page. The only other independed but over priced repro shop takes PDF's and can get the scaling dead on.

I take the DWF and print it out to a PDF from the DWF viewer with the printer drivers that come with the Adobe Acrobat Pro package. I find I can make the PDF at least 50% smaller than just using the Adobe Acrobat Acad tie in. Most of the time the same sheet is 80% smaller.

After looking at the DXF that Jerry sent I found a border at 36 x 60 on the fuse section and 36 x 66 on the wings. I surmise that the wings were forced to the 36 x 60 format thus the foreshortening. large format roll fed laser printers will do a good 12 feet in length before they start to complain. I've also run into problems with using a border the same size as the sheet. Most printers do not want to print a full bleed (over the edge) as it gums up the rollers. So they force the image to fit within the requested page or cut it off depending on what commands the printer driver sends.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Here's the link to the printer that can print from DWF files, they do a great job.
http://www.unirepro.com/

A pic of plans he printed for me.

The only problem i found is that i can't get the DWF writer software to save a drawing in anything bigger than a 3'x4' sheet.
I haven't been able to set a custom length to a sheet so i just devide up my drawing to print to 3'x4' sheets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20073.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	529490  
Old 09-24-2006, 11:57 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Custom Paper Sizes. Have to open the DWF driver configuration and add your sizes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19380.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	529512  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:59 PM
blindguarden

SoCal GliderGuider,
thanks for you help with my files!! I am going to have them printed Monday and I will let you know how they come out.

thanks again!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: blindguarden

SoCal GliderGuider,
thanks for you help with my files!! I am going to have them printed Monday and I will let you know how they come out.

thanks again!
Just print the wings first and measure them. Have the Page Scaling set at NONE! If the operator gets an over size warning have him/her ignore it.