Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

foam cutting

Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default foam cutting

Is there any one that has or does foam cutting. I would like to try it out.. Can some one help me out with some info on this. Thaks
Paul
Old 09-25-2006, 12:28 AM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: foam cutting

Good luck, I just got mine working, but haven't had the time to fine tune it or cut a wing. I tried to find the plans for the power supply I built but haven't yet. It is like the 2nd link, but has a fuse instead of the GFI.

a good article on basic info:

http://info-central.org/construction_hotwire.shtml

Here is a construction guide for a basic control:

http://www.utahflyers.org/FCParts.php

Here is a comercial one:

http://www.hotwirefoamfactory.com/pr...2&cat=4&page=1

Here is a neat page:

http://www.dansworkshop.com/Hot%20wi...0cutting.shtml

I will do a little more checking around and see if I can find the plans I used.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 PM
charlieoneseven

I tryed the last one from dans workshop but found the dropping bar didn't always give enough control to make the wire go where I wanted it to so I have 2 1x3" dowels with a little hole in the center that I use to manover the wire around my templates. I got the controller from aircraft spruce.com they sell the transformer and switch for about $45. and I mounted them in a $6 project box from radio shack. a 25' extension cord was chopped up and a pair of aligator clips added. No big deal cutting just keep the wire on the same spot on both sides and keep the fan blow'n the smoke out the room. It is best to have a helper on long cuts you can make marks along the templates and number them 1,2,3 etc and call the number out to your helper so he or she can keep up or slow down. comming off the shorter template before the longer one can completely distroy the shape. cut a few test pieces before you attempt your A/C parts. Lowes sells a white board that works great for templates it is 1/8th and painted white on one side and can chip if you drop it so be careful. Heres my first attempt at hotwiring, well at least after scrapping a few pieces. The fuse core is cut in a left and right half from the same templates just flipped over.
I use finishing nails to hold them in place and both templates got drilled in the same location so I could hold them together and final sand them to shape together.

Good luck,
Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68338.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	563756  
Old 11-21-2006, 03:32 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pic looks good.. but what is white board? Right now the templates are being the prob that I have no on doing this....

Paul
Old 12-24-2006, 11:47 AM
batchelc
My Feedback: (7)

Your local Home Depot or similar sells counter top material in 4x8' or 2x4' sheets. This is called Formica(sp?). Same thing kitchen counters are covered with. A 2'x4' sheet cost ~15$ and will make lots of templates. It is best to cut it with a rotary cutoff wheel or similar and sand smooth.