Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Rocket Racing League

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:11 PM
btaylor516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket Racing League

Has any one seen this before? [link=http://www.rocketracingleague.com]RRL[/link] And has any one tryed cloning this design for scale fight? I've seen plans for the Rutan EZ plans this is plane spawned from (says Wikipedia) on [link=http://plans.rcmodell.hu]http://plans.rcmodell.hu[/link]. It looks like something that could be ducted or single prop. Personally I'd like to make a AA powered micro RC from foam or balsa but would be amazed to see a larger scale fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36293.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	531608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30740.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	531609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30936.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	531610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22152.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	531611  
Old 09-30-2006, 09:07 AM
iaclmac

Default RE: Rocket Racing League

The plane you are looking for is a modified kit built airplane. I am not sure which model it is, but the parent company is called Velocity and is located in Florida. As a side note, I have contacted the rocket league and they tell me that a measured 3-view drawing will be posted to their site in the near future. Guess you might say I am looking at it myself
Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, that is a Long-EZ, modifed to rocket power to test the concept. Dick Rutan was the initial test pilot for the rocket powered flights.

Velocity is a whole another company.

Later!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 PM
iaclmac

I don't think so ... If you bother to carefully read my note, I said the "plane he is looking for" .... I was not identifying the plane in the pic. The correct plane that will become the racer is much different than the one you suggest. If you go to the site you will see specifically that the TRAINING / TEST PLATFORM is a Velocity. If someone was going to model the real rocket racer, it would appear to me that he would want the information on the actual plane and not some conceptual test platform build upon the Long EZ. Researching the site, I found the following quotes very compelling.

Here is a quote from the site itself: "[b]It was there that the Rocket Racing Leagueâ„¢ (RRL) took delivery of its company-owned Mark-1 X-Racerâ„¢ trainer. Decked out in the company's red and white race colors, the aircraft is a full scale operational Velocity SE FG and will serve as a training vehicle for rocket racing pilots. A second Velocity, already owned by the RRL, is currently undergoing modifications, including the installation of a rocket engine, by XCOR Aerospace at their facility in Mojave, California. "[/b]

HERE IS A FURTHER QUOTE: The Mark-1 X-Racer is based on a highly modified Velocity SE FG airframe, combined with a 1,500 pound thrust rocket engine from XCOR Aerospace and a custom integrated avionics and simulations package that allows for X-Racer competition through virtual three-dimensional race tracks in the sky.

HERE IS A FINAL QUOTE FROM THE RRL SITE: "The Velocity family is excited to have been selected by the Rocket Racing League as the first airframe provider for the X-Racer and we look forward to seeing our SE morph into the Mark-1, taking to the skies in roaring vertical flight trailing twenty foot rocket plumes," said Scott Swing, president of Velocity, Inc.

OH ... as a final side-note ... I don't believe it was Dick Rutan but rather BURT RUTAN. But who knows ... you might be right.