Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Trainer Plans? anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:42 PM
e_arbel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer Plans? anyone?

hey all...

i'm looking for plans to build my first rc plane ...

i found some plans but most of them are missing a few details..

hope someone can help me get started with good and detailed plans...

thanks in advance
erez

[email protected]
Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 PM
sharpshooter223

Default RE: Trainer Plans? anyone?

dont build your first plane, buy an arf, it is much easier, and that way you can focus on learning to fly rather than finding the correct grain of balsa. i think we all want to build our first planes but if i had done that, i wouldnt know how to fly right now.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:49 PM
e_arbel

sorry...

should be somewhere around 60" wingspan and for a 46. engine...

p.s
ever heard about someone using a heli engine for a different use..???
Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 PM
e_arbel

i think it's true what u say..

i do own a heli..(shuttle +)

wanna build from scratch for the fun and not with complex models!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 PM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: e_arbel

sorry...

should be somewhere around 60" wingspan and for a 46. engine...

p.s
ever heard about someone using a heli engine for a different use..???

Does it have to be balsa? [link=http://www.spadtothebone]www.spadtothebone[/link] has some plans for making plastic airplanes that work great for a trainer and it will get you in the air faster. You can use the balsa for your second plane. There are lots of plans on the net that would make a good second plane. An Classic Ugly Stik is a good example. See my gallery for pictures.

I used a heli engine for a while and it tended to run too cool with that big head on it. You might try it. You'll have plenty of power. My trainer would almost hover with it on there.

P.S. -- I just notice that you are in Israel. You might have some trouble finding the components you need to build a plastic plane. I know that there are trainer plans on the net somewhere. You could use the Stik as a trainer but it might be a little too much unless you have someone who will stick with you until you learn. Good luck! I hope I helped some.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2006, 10:44 PM
sharpshooter223

everybody, stop telling this person who is learnign to FLY all these different ways to plans, he should be LEARNING TO FLY. when you build your own rc plane as your FIRST plane, there are so many mistakes you can make and ruin your plane completely. i suggest using a sig kadet trainer or a great planes pt-something, or he could do as my grandpa did and teach himself to fly with gliders. but the worst idea i can think of is to build your very first rc plane from scratch using plans from the internet.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 PM
dolanosa

I think that there is something about building the plane. While I bought my first plane, the Curare, I built my second plane, an Eagle 63. Yeah, it's easy to buy and fly...so you're learning to fly...big deal. There's so much more to model airplanes that just flying. Buy an ARF, all you really lose is money and a couple of hours. What you learn is that you can just buy another one, then another. But, making an airplane from a bunch of wood and seeing it fly...nothing like it in the world. Not only that, you learn how to repair CORRECTLY rather than some of the "repair" jobs I've seen with people at the field. Ripped covering repaired by masking tape, broken fuselage from a previous crash butt-glued with no reinforcements, fuselage repairs that make the plane look like a banana, wings that dodn't have wingtips and no covering at the sites...all that and more.

If you want something fast to build, by all means, go to the spadtothebone site. They're a good bunch of guys willing to share their designs and there are some great flying trainers there. I've built dozens of these planes a few years ago for training, combat, all around flying and testing equipment. They're very cheap to build, repair, and are very strong. Most, if not all of the designs at the site are proven reliable flying machines for their flight envelope and yes, you can use a heli engine. We had an old Enya 32 with one of those ball mufflers and it flew just great. PM me if you need any help with them.

If you want a more traditional balsa/ply airplane to build, I suggest getting something proven like an Eagle 63 (hard to find) or the Sig Kadet or if people there have plans of well known trainers, you can use them as well. I have a question for you though, Erez. With everything happening in you country, what kind of materials can you get and is balsa easy to get there?

Good luck.

B
Old 10-06-2006, 06:02 AM
PropSpinner

ORIGINAL: dolanosa

I think that there is something about building the plane. While I bought my first plane, the Curare, I built my second plane, an Eagle 63. Yeah, it's easy to buy and fly...so you're learning to fly...big deal. There's so much more to model airplanes that just flying. Buy an ARF, all you really lose is money and a couple of hours. What you learn is that you can just buy another one, then another. But, making an airplane from a bunch of wood and seeing it fly...nothing like it in the world. Not only that, you learn how to repair CORRECTLY rather than some of the "repair" jobs I've seen with people at the field. Ripped covering repaired by masking tape, broken fuselage from a previous crash butt-glued with no reinforcements, fuselage repairs that make the plane look like a banana, wings that dodn't have wingtips and no covering at the sites...all that and more.

If you want something fast to build, by all means, go to the spadtothebone site. They're a good bunch of guys willing to share their designs and there are some great flying trainers there. I've built dozens of these planes a few years ago for training, combat, all around flying and testing equipment. They're very cheap to build, repair, and are very strong. Most, if not all of the designs at the site are proven reliable flying machines for their flight envelope and yes, you can use a heli engine. We had an old Enya 32 with one of those ball mufflers and it flew just great. PM me if you need any help with them.

If you want a more traditional balsa/ply airplane to build, I suggest getting something proven like an Eagle 63 (hard to find) or the Sig Kadet or if people there have plans of well known trainers, you can use them as well. I have a question for you though, Erez. With everything happening in you country, what kind of materials can you get and is balsa easy to get there?

Good luck.

B
Ditto
Old 10-06-2006, 03:53 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...m=plans:pl-354

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...m=plans:pl-476

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...m=plans:pl-616
Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 PM
PropSpinner

I've built the Senior Telemaster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69154.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	536387  
Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 PM
sharpshooter223

Good luck.

B
first of all, makeshift repair jobs are good enough when you are learning to fly if it isnt anything too serious, second of all, you wont see that bunch of wood fly long if it is your first plane building and flying. and you dont need to be the one who originally put it together if you have the sense to figure out how it was originally put together and fix it. also, an arf doesnt give you the sense that if you crash you can just go buy another because it is an expensive peice to buy and nobody is just going to go through them like that, unless they are truly retarded with their money.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:42 PM
e_arbel

HEY everyone...
sorry for the delay, havn't benn around for a few days.
about the argue that devolped here whether or not to build from plans, and in that matter as my age (26) and as i know my self and my background i really beileve that it won't be as much of a chalange as it would 10 years ago, i think i would be able to preform o.k and once i'll decied on a model i would be happy to use youre knowledge to asist me and to keep u up to date with the progress of it, i'm currently a student so it would probably take a while before it'll be ready.
anyway..thank you all very much for taking the time to read and responed i'll be happy to hear more and get more tips you might have.
have a good week and see u soon!
erez
Old 10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
e_arbel

The answer to your question is that things are back to normal (sort of) and u (or i for that matter) can get all matirials we need at any of the near or far r/c shops
with not alot of money and no problems!!
and i can probably get my hands on almost evrery kind of matirial i can think of at the moment!
erez

....If you want a more traditional balsa/ply airplane to build, I suggest getting something proven like an Eagle 63 (hard to find) or the Sig Kadet or if people there have plans of well known trainers, you can use them as well. I have a question for you though, Erez. With everything happening in you country, what kind of materials can you get and is balsa easy to get there?

Good luck.

B
Old 10-08-2006, 10:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Erez, the problem with downloading plans off the net is that some folks have funny ideas of what a proper plan really is. If you've followed any of the sites that offer free plans for download you'll have found that they range from very good to just a few lines that sort of suggest a design along with everything between. In the end if you want really good and well detailed plans along with a write up on how to build the model you're best off ordering from one of the plans services that print model magazine full sized plans and reprints of the original articles. Yes it costs a bit of money but you end up with a far more useable and clear plan to work with.

This is not to say that the other free plans are no good. But often they assume you know what to do with them. And for a beginner this is often not the case.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
martinoto

I build my first plane well before I learned to fly. In fact, I even build my SECOND plane before I learned to fly.... But I LOVE TO BUILD PLANES, so I am biased...

Besides, flying your own plane is fantastic. If you are average regarding your building skills, you will do fine.

And regarding the plane, I would build the RCM Advanced Trainer. It is relatively easy to build, is a dream to fly, and you will enjoy it for long time, because it can do almost everything.

And, most important, it is a Joseph Bridi design ¡¡¡

My first one was a kit (the .20 version), but the one I am still flying was made from RCM plans. Although it calls for a .61, do notice that '70 .61's has less power than nowadays .46's. Mine has an OS 46AX on its nose, and it has unlimited vertical.

If you are interested I can PM you some pictures. Mine has some mods, like wing attachment. Hint: build it light and reduce the dihedral by half.

link to RCM plan for the Advance Trainer is:

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...37mCjAQmU3T0U2

Hope you enjoy it.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically it's like a high wing Kaos. Really good flier.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 PM
spotter
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

e_arbel

I built and wrecked light trainers while learning to fly around 1980. Then I built a Joe Bridi RCM Advanced Trainer with a K & B 61. All the difference in the world. Serious West Texas wind stability. It went where you pointed it, no bad habits. I was way more comfortable with a symmetrical airfoil and higher wingloading. I remember that plane because it was a great design, and because I was proud of my workmanship. When the wing finally came loose during a snap roll (!!), I moved on to a more advanced build.

When I returned to the sport a couple of years ago, I built another 60 trainer, a 72" Midwest Aerostar. 61FX, about 9 pounds. Solid, very steady.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86933.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	568517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56692.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	568518  
Old 11-29-2006, 02:34 AM
e-flight22

hey e_arbel,

are you looking for a glow trainer plans or are u interested in electric trainer plans as well??

let me know i might be able to hook u up with something fun

e-flight22
Old 11-29-2006, 04:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

What about ordering the plans and instruction manual from Sig for a Kadet? They have plans for the 48" Junior, the larger Mark II,
the 60"+ Seniorita and the big 70"+ Senior to name some of them. Depending on what size engine or electric drive you want to use, one of these will fit your requirements.

I'm presently doing a modified Kadet Jr. It has lengthened wings, no dihedral and barn door ailerons, which you can't do to an ARF. This is one of the advantages of building(Sorry Sharpshooter, I call them as I see them), but for a first project, you would be best served having some experienced help assist. This would be especially true if you were to do modifications like mine is getting.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
e_arbel

hey all...i'm too busy even to write here more often..
anyhow i'm not intersted in elctrical drive... it has no smell...i like the smell of petrols!!!

so i hope i will have some more time soon after the exams i'm in...

thanx ALOT!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

e_arbel, tell me what file format you need the plans in and I will send you a plan.

Skinny Bob
Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
kdc

I would encourage you to build a trainer from a reputable designer and ensure you have the instructions at least for your first scratch built model. You might want to build from a kit for your first model to get some idea of balsa selection before you start a scratch build. (Balsa selection especially for the tail end is the most critical thing in building light. Building light is the essential thing when learning to fly - you can get away from a mistake with a light model whereas a heavy one might stall in the same situation )

There are still a few kits available for trainers. A good trainer from a well respected designer is the Uno Wot from Chris Foss Designs in England. His instructions are usually good too. There is currently a series of basic articles on building a Uno Wot in the October, November and December editions of RC Model World published by Traplet in England. Seems the sort of info needed by a newcomer to building.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:01 PM
e_arbel

files can be autocad formats ...and just about any kind...it won't be a problem i think...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Hello to every one who answered e_arbel, you where all correct to advise him as you did. That being said, I thought I could build a plane from scratch,about 25 years ago I bought plans and wood from Balsa USA for a 1/4 scale Skybolt. I cut all the parts, ribs etc. all by hand. I have the framed up fuse, wings and stab hanging from my basement ceiling, unfinished, after all this time. Before I had a chance to finish the Skybolt, I hooked up with an old friend who was flying R/C, who let me use his trainer under his instruction to learn to fly. well I'm sure you know the rest of the story. I have crashed several planes since that time. I have learned to fly quite well to date, but still believe anyone who wants to try it the hard way should if he likes. I have e-mailed e-arbel plans for a trainer, I hope he enjoys building his trainer and regardless of the results of his first flight with it will learn a great deal about building and flying R/C.

Skinny Bob
Old 12-04-2006, 10:37 AM
cmstone

Sorry to jump in on your post, but I m looking to start my first scratch build.I have 4 kits under my belt with a couple of good repair jobs to boot. I am looking for advice on a decent first set of plans.I am dieing to do a WWI or WWII, but most likely not the best 1st build I m sure. I do not have any type of CAD software. I'm wanting something that I can print myself at home from a normal PC printer.(but I can go to Kinko's if need be) I have Tiger 2 blue prints, and a Somethin Extra that I could use to build another, but I m looking for something different to build.Hopefully you all can direct me the right way for plans, and,or software if needed for someone with no experince with CAD that doesn t break the bank.Thanks