Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Need advice for balsa stock purchase

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Need advice for balsa stock purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 02:59 PM
ZB50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for balsa stock purchase

Hello all,

I'm new to this scratch building element and I want to make a mail order purchase of various sizes of balsa and hardwood for my shop stock. I have small balsa stripper so sticks are no problem. What advice can you provide from your experience in scratch building?

Also, Where do you guys get the best balsa for your money?

Thanks,

Jimmy
Old 01-15-2003, 05:24 PM
jcasey7703

Default Balsa Stock Purchase

I recently made my first balsa purchase. I have been reading this forum for awhile now and saw several posts on this subject. Some say Lone Star, some say Superior and others say Balsa USA. I decided to try Lone Star with my first order because their online secure ordering system seemed more convenient to me. The order got to me quickly, however I was not impressed with the quality of some of the wood and some of the dimensions. Others have said they have received good quality from Lone Star, I didn't. The other thing I didn't like was that I sent e-mail to Lone Star stating the issues I had with my order in a very much "customer feedback" tone and never received a reply. For me, I am going to try Superioir or Balsa USA next time.

Good Luck! JC
Old 01-15-2003, 10:35 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

My advice for placing a "stock" order is to specify the wood weights. You will probably have to pay a little extra for this. I have bought bulk balsa before and some was so heavy that it was unusable. I guarantee that if you don't demand 4lb, 6lb, 8lb or whatever, you will be shipped a mix of stuff in the 10-20lbs range... been there done than. The 10lbs stuff is fine for a lot of applications, but 20lb balsa is only good for fireplace kindling in my opinion.

As for sticks and such I never buy them. I just cut them from balsa/hardwood sheets. I use a table saw with very good results. The stripper (I have one too) you mentioned will work with thin stock, but it doesn't leave a true edge. Table saw works much better. If you have access to a band saw it is even cheaper to buy balsa blocks and cut your own sheeting. This way you have control over grain direction, etc.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I've ordered from Lonestar before, and have been happy with the wood. One thing you may want to do, regardless of who you order it from, is order slightly more than you need. If you order 4 spruce spars, for example, order 6. That way you can pick and choose the best for its application. You'll end up using it all on later projects anyway. No one will be able to pick out exactly what you think you need, besides yourself.

And I'm not suggesting you order 50% extra on everything, of course!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My orders (six to date) have all been from Superior. I have never specified weight, and have been pleased with everything I have received. I once placed an order with Lone Star, won't make that mistake again.

Vince
Old 01-18-2003, 01:16 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

I had very bad experience with Lone Star, Out of a $500.00 order they shipped only $200.00 worth. They then claimed that one box had been returned to them, however the shipping documents only showed one box. When I addressed queries to them, they responded in an evasive manner. The wood quality was very mediocre, I would not do business with them again. I have used Balsa USA twice, service was good, and the wood quality was good.
Mike
Old 01-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Skypoint
My Feedback: (7)

I've been lucky with Lone Star. The order I received was in excellent shape with the exception of a couple of plywood sheets that were slightly warped. I called them, they said they would hand select the replacement at no charge. I got the wood the next day. (Lone Star is only about 50 miles from me).

Although I've not asked them, I've heard that they will hand select your entire order for a nominal charge.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:25 AM
Mike James

Default SIG

This year, I've gotten involved in some projects that have caused me to order a forest of balsa and other wood.

After shopping around, I settled on SIG, and have had great results. I order "stock" wood for building plugs or other non-flying parts, and "contest grade" for flying parts.

( http://www.sigmfg.com/ )
Old 01-23-2003, 02:56 AM
rmeira

Default MIDWEST??

What do u guys think about MIDWEST balsa and stuff??

tnks
Rodrigo