Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Help choose a perfect aerofoil.

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Help choose a perfect aerofoil.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:33 AM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help choose a perfect aerofoil.

Hello

Iam designing a 40 size 3D plane, the problem is i dont want to use a thick aerofoil like every one has i dont like thick aerofoil, can any one suggest me a perfect aerofoil for this kinda plane, the wing chord is 12.5" excluding the ailerons they will be built up stick construction.

I am looking for both precession aerobatics & 3D machine so keeping that in mind i am designing it.

Highfly3D
Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help choose a perfect aerofoil.

ORIGINAL: highfly3D

Hello

Iam designing a 40 size 3D plane, the problem is i dont want to use a thick aerofoil like every one has i dont like thick aerofoil, can any one suggest me a perfect aerofoil for this kinda plane, the wing chord is 12.5" excluding the ailerons they will be built up stick construction.

I am looking for both precession aerobatics & 3D machine so keeping that in mind i am designing it.

Highfly3D
First off, there is no perfect airfoil. And second, the airfoil is not that critical compared to power and wing loadings for this sort of aircraft. That said, the easiest way to go is to draw your own up. I have done a number of them that flew fine. Just pick where you want your high point, thickness, etc. Then draw a smooth curve to the high point and then a straight taper to the trailing edge. If you want any sort of speed range and precision capability, you should use tapered ailerons, not flat ones. Look at the OMP Fusion profiles for a good blueprint of how to do this sort of aircraft. And check out this thread on a scratch built Yak-55 profile that uses the same style of wing construction with a thin 10% airfoil.

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/52fusion/

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/67fusion/

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4909377/tm.htm

Mark
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 AM
simhatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help choose a perfect aerofoil.

Hi

The reason for having a thick wing on a fun fly 3d type plane is it causes a lot of drag and will fly slowly. You can't really do 3d type manouvers if the plane won't slow down.

I think in order to have a thin wing and 3d type flying you would need to keep it very light, flaps, airbrakes or both would help to.

I have built a much lightened version of a president fun fly which may have the characteristics you require.

Simon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32936.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	590450