Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Plans Enlargement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans Enlargement

I have plans for a Waco UMF-3 that I want to enlarge. They have been folded for some time. I need help in locating some one who can tell me how to prep these plans for them to enlarge and will enlarge them for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Old 10-14-2006, 09:13 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plans Enlargement

I also obtain folded (older) plans. Simpliest thing to flatten them is to clean up, dust off the kitchen floor. Then lay out plan and use a standard steam iron on them. Will need the use of steam, so set just low enough to create steam, but not at highest setting. Then begin ironing them out. It may wrinkle under the iron from moisture, but will soon be gone after about one-two minutes. Keep the iron moving briskly, and not pausing over any one spot.

Roll up the plan and then place into mailing tube. Roll with print to exterior.

As for enlargement or reduction, this has been a big topic about every month. Just need to do a SEARCH and find out applicable method which meets your needs.

Wm.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Mike Emilio

Skinny . . .

I can do it for you. I have my own commercial printer and I do this alot for the r/c guys in the Toronto area. The machine takes paper by the roll, and the roll is 250ft long! Don't worry about folds. Here's the process . .

step 1 - scan
step 2 - despeckle
step 3 - cleanup stubborn wrinkles, coffee stains, etc.
step 4 - print for whatever wingspan you desire.

The whole process takes about 3-4 hours depending on how big the drawing is.

Unfortnuately I don't have my own wide format scanner, so I get it scanned at a local print shop, and they charge .85 cents / sq ft for the scan.
Also, to run the large printer costs about $1.00 / foot (paper, ink, heads etc)

If your interested, send me a message.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Skinny Bob

Thanks Mike, I want to try and iron out the wrinkles first. I would rather store them rolled anyway. I will get in touch with you later.

Skinny
Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Skinny Bob

Thanks Wm, I thought about the iron, but didn't want to try it without asking. I would rather build the UBF-2, but can't find plans or 3-views.except at NASM. Not sure yet just how they charge, if it's by listing or page. Gotta find out.

Later
Skinny Bob
Old 10-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Mike Emilio

Be very careful if using any kind of heat, like an iron. It may cause more damage to the paper than expected. Regardless how "folded" they are, I would tend to discourage using heat. If you can get the drawings scanned locally, you can email them to me. Have them scanned at least 200-250 dpi, in TIFF format. Don't wory about any folds or other imperfections because they are of no concern at all. I can digitally clean up the TIFF files for you and email them back. After that, it's your choice for printing sources.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:13 PM
andrew66

hey, i was wondering, what would be "a good price" to blow up plans, or print them straight off a disc? i was thinking of getting the sig smith miniplane plans made to approx 70"ish wingspan.
when i was back in manitoba, i went to a print shop, to get plans of a very small cub, and they said it would cost me about $100 when all said and done. I gave them a disc, and it was formatted so all they had to do was press the print button.
In my eyes, that was kinda rediculous so i printed them at home and pieced everything together.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Mike Emilio

Andrew . . .

Email me the files and I'll get it done for you at whatever size you wish. Basically, I'll load them into AutoCad and increase them to any size. Then get them printed for you. The printing is about .75 cents / sq foot, and a few bucks for postage. As big as you want !!

Only by loading up the files in AutoCad will I know how much paper is required.

My home email
[email protected]
Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Mike Emilio

That $.75/sq ft is about right.. depending on the media I use.

I don't care what format it's in. A lot of the time, customers simply give me an 8.5 x 11. I scan it in at about 600dpi and determine what the difference is from the actual physical size I have (from the scanned page) to the total WS length.

Figure out the percentage of enlargement, and

1) create an empty RGB file -- that of the desired WS. by the maximum width of your printer
2) LOCK your working file,
3) ENLARGE to that percentage.
4) Cut & paste.

No need to FREE TRANSFORM

If you can get it all in on one sheet -- kool. -- if not -- create a second page.

I did a set of plans for a man last week, his desired WS was 108".

It took four pages, 36" x 108". (3x9=27x4pages=$108).

Any man that wants to charge you $100 for one sheet of printing --- well, you figure it out.

Oh, by the way, each 108" took 90 minutes for each printout.

What I didn't charge him for was the time it took to rearrange the graphics.

After a while, it all comes to you very quickly.
----------------

I go thru all of these steps simply because my very old (7 years old) software will only print an RGB, TIF, or JPG.

I hope that helps you make a choice as to where your dollar value is.
Keep one other thing in mind. Doing what I do, was NOT learned overnite! It took a LONG, LONG, time.

One of my closesat friends was watching me work the graphics out last week an his comment to was this:

Boy, that stuff really looks hard.

My answer was this: NOTHING, is hard if you know how to do it!

Enjoy!

marwen1
Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 AM
andrew66

i know that some sites on the I-net are already in fullsized format, but i cant find any of the smith miniplane. i'll have to suck it up and buy a copy from Sig (unless anyone here has it) and then take it where i'll end up getting it printed. but i think thats going to wait until most of my christmas expenses are taken care of (I know Iknow its pobably a little early for that kinda talk, but the sooner i prepare, the sooner i can focus on my little plane addiction)
thanks for the input
Old 10-18-2006, 07:13 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Hah! You think you have an addiction? LOL LOL LOL !
You ought to see my bill!~ LOL

marwen1
Old 10-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Mike Emilio

Marwin . . .

Your right about the time that's spend doing it. Some print shops charge around $2.00 - $3.00 sq ft because of the time involved.

Blowing up a set of plans is not always easy, as you already know. Iv'e done this for guys that build really big stuff like 1/2 scale!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Do you still offer plans enlargement services??? I have a set of Sid Morgan plans for a Noordyun "Norseman" at 84" that I would like enlarged to 100" ( approx ).
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 AM
badedge540
My Feedback: (22)

speedy-gonzales check to see if you have a local blue print shop(like the ones for homebuilding blue prints) most of them cane do it mine in lima ohio charged me 37.00 to blow up 7 sheets from 1/4 to 1/2 scale the sheet came out about 12 feet long.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Lima Badge...

$37 dollars on seven sheets of 12 feet long? That was either some time ago, or considerably cheap. Per local places that would be about double now.

Wm.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with Hemikiller here on RCU. He advertises in the marketplace. I've used him several times and his quality is outstanding.

FB
Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
badedge540
My Feedback: (22)

coosbaylumber actually it was just yesterday that i had them blow them up.