Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

how much weight when sheeting a foam wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

how much weight when sheeting a foam wing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:38 PM
jwblackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much weight when sheeting a foam wing?

I'm preparing to sheet a 500 square inch wing panel using 1/16th inch balsa sheeting and west systems laminating epoxy. Will 200 lbs be enough weight for proper adhesion?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: how much weight when sheeting a foam wing?

Transfered over from another thread that is now deleted. JW, please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. Just keep it all in one.

ORIGINAL: jwblackout

I'm preparing to sheet a 500 sq in wing panel with 1/16th in balsa and west systems laminating epoxy. I'm looking for ANY information as to minimum, maximum, optimum weight per sq in when sandwiching my cores, skins, epoxy, saddles. Please help.[]
Old 10-20-2006, 10:02 PM
jwblackout

Bruce,

I'm sorry. I'm out of the loop when it comes to online etiquette. Hard to believe in the 21st century, but true. It won't happen again. Just looking for answers.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:03 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

200lb should be good with epoxy, more will not hurt the core if you want to hoist it onto the table. Make sure your building board/table is strong enough to carry that weight without sagging, once the wing is sheeted it will NOT come back straight. The bible for sheeting wings:

http://www.mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm

Mark
Old 10-21-2006, 02:33 AM
jwblackout

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and great link! The wing is for a Dick Hanson designed excess. His plans say a minimum of 1/4 lb per square inch is needed for bonding, so I doubled that. I got nervous when I saw how much pressure could be applied via vacuum bag method as I don't have the resources for a setup just now. I just want to make sure that this wing won't blow apart.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:18 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No sweat, I know it's a newbie thing Just thought I'd point it out while joining the threads together for you.

What are you using to glue the sheeting down? There's no need to squish the heck out of the cores. You only need enough to hold the wood firmly in contact with the core. that may well be just a couple of ounces per sq foot or a few ounces of vacuum if you elect to go with a vacuum bag system.

I modified a simple aquarium pump to work as a vacuum pump a few years back. It was enough to crush the beads in the regular white styrofoam when bagging on some epoxy coated fiberglass or newsprint. I had to add an old engine needle valve as a vacuum leak to tone down the vacuum to just a couple of ounces per sq inch to avoid the problem. Doing this with balsa sheeting may well work just as nicely for you. The only problem is that you need to use epoxy for the glue since an air dry glue won't dry in a vacuum bag. BUt then I suspect it'll have problems with all that sand on top of it as well.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:02 AM
jwblackout

BMatthews,

The adhesive I'm using is West Systems Laminating Epoxy. So far, I've sheeted the flying surfaces for the rear and the stuff was great to work with.