Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Makeing a template of a wing coping a ari foil

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Makeing a template of a wing coping a ari foil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Makeing a template of a wing coping a ari foil

Hello there.. I have a plane that I built years a go. I would like to make a new one but I want to make it allot bigger. But the 1st thing I need to do it make a template of the old wings air foil so I can make a core. I do not have a old rib for the wing or the plans. The wing has a cone on the wing tip so it would be hard to trace it. But some how I need to get the air foil from the wing. Is there any one that has a good idea on how I can copy the foil to paper?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:02 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Makeing a template of a wing coping a ari foil

A good way is to make a TEMPLATE of the surface using stiff cardboard or thin wood. Make a rough shape that fits at the ends of the template (like the gray shape in the pix) and use a COMPASS to mark a line parallel to the surface onto the template. Then cut it and fit it repeatedly until it is good enough.
You can put masking tape down along the line on the wing, rub pencil graphite onto it, then rub the template back and forth on it to pick up the graphite showing the low spots on the template. File and sand until it's done.
If you just have a few shapes to get (top and bottom) it really doesn't take that long.
Allan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18232.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	546003  
Old 10-22-2006, 04:53 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use the wing saddle in the fuse to give you the rough shape of the upper chamber
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Helijack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you are considering enlarging the airfoil in an equivalent manner as the rest and you need to consider your airfoil may not be the best choice on a larger aircraft.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you meen. I will be blowing up tha foil the same as the rest of the plane.