Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.
View Poll Results: A poll
Q) Is this 5:1 a problem for the average RCer?
50.00%
Q) How would you prefer to have it shipped?
0%
Q) What are you paying now at your LHS?
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

EPOXY

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPOXY

I have line on an epoxy that will be a 5:1 mix from a CANADIAN manufacturer.

Avg. pricing for a 2oz Part A & Part B will be about
$4.99 to $5.49

of course, discounts for quantity purchase

marwen1
Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EPOXY

some have trouble mixing a 1-1 ratio and end up with an un cured mess,how are they going to measure 5-1 without error and having an uncured mess.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:29 AM
marwen1

I gave that some thought, since we as RCers are usually quite capable individuals, --- if needed, I'll offer some means of measuring

thanks for your input

marwen1
Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5-1 mix is not that uncommon or difficult. West Systems, one of the best epoxies on the market is 5 to 1. I've been using it for years and never encountered a mixing problem. Mix large quantities using the 5 to 1 pumps that West System has available and small quantities using metal measuring spoons (from the kitchen). When I want a very small amout, I can mix it by 5 drops of A and 1 drop of catalyst. If you are inventive, as modelers are, you can even graduate the pumps by using a portion of the stroke.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 AM
marwen1

Hi John:

Well, that's what I kind of thought when my MFG quoted me the 5:1 specs.

I find what I do is to use a graduated syringe of 10 cc. Fill it 1/2 way up to the 5cc mark and drop it into a 1 oz plastic shot glass.

With a separate syringe, I actually use a 5cc (I can see the 1cc mark much easier) --- drop it into the 1 oz cup --- stir it up for a minute or so and go from there.

With the now "used" syringes, I simply rinse them out with an ACETONE wash.. let them air dry and I find that I can use that same set of syinges time after time.

Go to your local pharmacist and most of the time, they'll just give you a few. at least they do for me, anyway!

Thanks John

marwen1
Old 10-25-2006, 10:30 AM
T_om

Not to rain on your parade, but offering a 5:1 mix in tiny little 2 ounce "kits" borders on ridiculous. Most 5:1 epoxies are used in lamination and fabrication, most 2 ounce kits are used as glue. When someone wants to glue something, they usually do not want to be bothered with the necessary precision weighing involved with 5:1 mixes, hence they will usually go for the easier 1:1 types.

If you are wanting to get into the epoxy re-sale business, do a little market research and you will find it pretty much saturated (terrible pun, I know). You will be competing on the basis of price alone, which is a sure way to the poorhouse unless you find a market niche to exploit that all the people that have gone before you have somehow overlooked. I do not think 2 ounce kits of 5:1 epoxy is such a niche.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but hopefully my comments will be taken constructively as they are so intended.

Tom

PS: I noticed you mentioned shipping in your poll. I assume you know the shipping restrictions involved with the transport of epoxy hardner, right? The resin is harmless, you can take a bath in it if you like. The hardner is another story.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:17 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i get my 30 minute from walmart
Old 10-25-2006, 01:12 PM
marwen1

T_om:

In reality, what I am trying to do, is to provide a viable means for we CANADIAN RCers to simply get the "basics" that we need, when we need it! Without being robbed!

North of the 49th, there are very few cities that are in close proximity to one another like they are in the USA. In the US, if I want something, all I have to do is either pick up and GO there or else call on the phone and have it shipped!

Up here, the cities are no where like they are down South. If I go to my LHS and need something, I too, will just buy it, but, if they don't have it, I pretty much have to go on-line.

To give you good idea of our city of WINNIPEG, MB (a major city in mid CANADA) -- aprox. 100,000 population, ---
there are ONLY TWO local hobby stores that handle RC.

Unless you are in southern Ontario, where the overall population is the heaviest, the only other MAJOR cities would be out on the WEST coast or else MONTREAL, Quebec THAT'S IT!

Consequently, as I say go on-line.

That means that I have to deal with the difference in the monetary exchange rate, I have to deal with CUSTOMS, and as you so aptly put it, deal with the HARDENER(s), finally, once it is cleared customs, and that could take up to 30 days, we have to deal with a BRUTAL add-on cost by the courior called a BROKERAGE FEE.

That fee, is dictated by the overall purchase price.

An example of that would be --- if I have a $500 purchase, I can depent on about a 20% Brokerage FEE!

I have, at this point in time, three different EPOXY suppliers. One of the is just what the doctor ordered -- a 1:1 dispursement, the other is a 2:1, now I have this one at a 5:1

and they are all pretty much priced the same. -- give or take a few bucks.

I personally have a DUAL citizenship, so I can come & go into the USA at will.

Regardless of that issue, when I return into CANADA, I still have to pay a CANADIAN G.S.T. tax on any purchase especially if I only go down to pick up my purchases.

FINALLY, my friend, overall, things in the USA are on an average are about 30% - 40% cheaper. ---

You probably pay no more than $5 or so for a 2oz -- 1:1 epoxy. Up here, the going rate in $9.95 at pretty much any LHS

-----------------------

My market is pretty obvious

-----------------------

Y'all have a nice day now, here?!

marwen1