Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

im BOOOOORED

Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default im BOOOOORED

hi guys

foamy is getting very bored... its not flying weather, i havent got a plane to fly and my savage is not worth the money it will cost to repair it. i was thinking of building something simple to pass the time such as a FF foam or a balsa glider or something.

so does anyone know where i can get some free plans to make a Simple Aircraft (preferably glider) that would be suitable for 3 channel RC or free flight?

cheers

- XxX Foamy XxX
Old 10-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Default RE: im BOOOOORED

Foamies????????? Guess I'd be getting bored too. Bob
Old 10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Wild Foamy

i chose foam as an idea as its easily cut, glued and shaped and i dont have to poxy about with saws, sanding, powertools e.t.c
Old 10-26-2006, 03:12 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Check the plans download links and see if there's something there that you could adapt to your evil foamy ways....

Remember that an RC glider needs to be beefed up in the wing spar department to handle the launch and flight loads.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Wild Foamy

"evil foamy" as in evil me or evil plane? (or both?)

was thinking of using 1/2' thick polyester (a whole lot of it came with my new monitor), using 1/8 balsa stringers to beef up the wings and a short fuselage for maneuverability (spelling?) making some sort of catapult launching system and trying to keep as low wing load as possible
Old 11-02-2006, 03:25 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is a foray into blue FFF I'm messing with.

A FoldFuse, Taco-fuse, ClamshellFuse... whatever, just draw a profile on some FFF, then draw the other side set off just a bit along the turtledeck with less offset near the tail.... fold along turtledeck.... like a profile, yet fat. Glue at Firewall, back of cocpit & tail

Lay the wing FFF on the building board, PU glue a spar on, then keep the bottom flat against the board as you glue the top over... ignore the freakishly miniscule ailerons I cut... never cut rons that small, what was I thinking[&:]

I put this on the back burner for now,
Hope you get some ideas from it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30389.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	553181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71742.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	553182  
Old 11-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Wild Foamy

Profile? Turtledeck? offset? profile? Building board? PU? miniscule?

the foamy does not understand...

was thinking of cutting out a glider fuselage from foam using a bandsaw and some sort of sanding, making two large foam wings with a low wing load and somehow incorporating balsa stringers/spars into the wing to beef it up, then mounting battery and reciever in the front, "ron" servo in the middle of the wing, micro servo turning the elevator sub-micro on the and rudder

what foam to use? ive asked about FFF foam but its hard to come by in england (ive asked around a little...) so what is the next-best-thing? must be light, strong and easily available
Old 11-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are just after a plaything why not buy one of those cheap, free flight gliders in a plastic bag in the cardboard display in the aisle at the model shop & convert it to R/C? You will love it! (it's foam [sm=lol.gif]) - John.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80614.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	554213  
Old 11-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Wild Foamy

ooh... and you can buy them off the shelf?

ive enver seen them before... sometimes i feel we english are not meant to be in the RC world
was thinking of building a kit slope glider as i want something that will keep me busy for a few evenings and something i can tinker with, but the conversion may be possible?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:09 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes i feel we english are not meant to be in the RC world
Colour... Flavour... Elevatour [:@]

Didnt see your were BuleFFF imparied by location
Get a toy foam glider, cut off the nose & epoxy a firewall to it, cut servo recesses far enough back to make the CG right

We used to get them gliders at big drug stores, general merchandise stores, general toy stores... $3-$6 here. Look up the 1/2A forum Walmart Foam glider conversions on RCU
Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

You must have seen these? They feature on every second 'funniest home video show'. You know, while junior looks on dad throws it skywards, it does a perfect loop and clonks him in the back of the head. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Junior laughs. [sm=lol.gif] Seen it a hundred times.