Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

2 pc. wing retention systems?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

2 pc. wing retention systems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:58 AM
SkyBurner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 pc. wing retention systems?

Hello,
I,m looking for site's,articles, pic's., and or diagrams for alternative methods other than tube & socket for 2 pc. wing attachment's. Hven't had much luck in my search's. Any info would be great.
Thx in Advance,
Robert
Old 10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2 pc. wing retention systems?

Well, the tube and socket works very well and is easily and cheaply available, so what are you looking for in an alternative? Some people use a blade type spar and slide them past each other in the fuse, then run a couple of bolts through the pair of spars, bolts running front to back in the plane.

Mark
Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 AM
SkyBurner

The reason I ask, I was given a set of large wing panels already built, full sym., D-Tube const., 16"constant chord, 45" per panel. Planning on building a large profile ie. (Aeroworks, OMP). I agree on the simplicity of the tube and socket, but have no means for boring the holes into the ribs to accommodate the sockets. I plan on bldg., a center section 8 to 10" wide which will be permanetly attached to the fuse to house the radio equipment. I've heard about the blade style, but have not actually seen this set up, other than a variation on a RCM plans built Extra 300SP, which to me looked questionable, not being able to see how it was const.
Wanting to get a feel for other options, idea's.
Robert
Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
funkworks

Whatever spar method you use you will still need to cut into the wing anyway. Putting in a spar after the fact is tough but not impossible. Let me know how the surgery goes doctor .