Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing joining

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
heritageflstc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing joining

Would a tube and socket design work on a foam wing, fiberglassed and bagged? I am using the quick connect hardware and do not like it. My plane is a 13 ft. twin turbine DC-10.
Also how do you make the tube and socket?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wing joining

ORIGINAL: heritageflstc

Would a tube and socket design work on a foam wing, fiberglassed and bagged? I am using the quick connect hardware and do not like it. My plane is a 13 ft. twin turbine DC-10.
Also how do you make the tube and socket?
Not sure on the glassed and bagged wing construction. My gut says it would be OK, but that is a mighty pricey test platform you have there...

You do not make the tube and socket, you buy them. Central Hobbies, PBG and others sell the sets for very fair prices and the fit between socket and tube is excellent.

Terry Brox has a superb site on building balsa/foam wings for pattern aircraft with many pics and details. I am sure a read through there would be helpful for you.

http://www.mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm

Mark
Old 11-02-2006, 12:04 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Any wing joining hardware has to be part of a full wing spar system. In full house three meter sailplanes where the wings are two piece, bagged glass, carbon and kevlar there is an internal spar structure about two thirds of the way out the wing. Also the cloth is doubled. Usually a 1/2" diameter steel tube is used as the joiner fitting into a carbon tube which also doubles as part of the spar system. There are slots top and bottom from the carbon tube where epoxy and fibers join the tube with the covering shell. I've used a winch with a 300 pound test line and gone full bore launch with out breaking the line or the wings.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:55 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

I had to draw a scaled outline to check a few things. I would make the center section one piece from engine to engine. This is where most of your flying and landing stresses will take place. The next is the fuse to the front landing gear and from the wing to the elevators/rudder. Most everything else is just along for the ride. The outer wings could be tounge and box. A good piece of hardwood and a ply box would work. The stresses would have to be "spared" into the wing.

A simple backbone down the fuse with foam shells glued to each side would work. Could hot wire most of the shapes. Some would have to be sanded to countour. Might think about foam ribs between the end ply pieces with a shell of foam glued over. Don't know about bagging the wings with glass and epoxy but it could be done. Would require a very large hotwire system and big blocks of foam!

An interesting design challenge.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Yw66878.pdf (11.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-02-2006, 01:46 AM
heritageflstc

Here is a pic of the center wing during assembly. This is the same plane that Eddie Weeks had. I just want a better way to attatch the outer panels.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 AM
heritageflstc

Sorry pic did not work, but it is built just like you were saying.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Is this plane in a thread on one of these boards? If so please post the link to the thread or the web site. I would like to look at the details.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:31 PM
heritageflstc

thnks. Check here http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/DC10.htm
Old 11-16-2006, 03:59 PM
heritageflstc

Do you have any pics or diagrams showing the installation of tubes and how they are joined together?