Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Remove or leave the line of the pattern when cutting out ribs,formers,etc ?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Remove or leave the line of the pattern when cutting out ribs,formers,etc ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:56 AM
KG4MIN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove or leave the line of the pattern when cutting out ribs,formers,etc ?

Kinda new at making parts from plans. Am I being too critical being concerned about whether to cut to the line, remove the line or cut to middle. No problem on some plans as lines are very narrow. Some are not,especially if plan has been enlarged. Maybe plans vary and I need to ues a set of dividers and check outline of parts to their use in other sections of plans. Any help will be appreciated.

KG4MIN
Old 01-20-2003, 03:08 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remove or leave the line of the pattern when cutting out ribs,formers,etc ?

I usually cut to the line with a bandsaw then finish sand with a sanding block. Usually ends up in the middle.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:31 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's easier to remove than add. When I'm in doubt it stays a little proud of the line and gets trimmed during the preglueing "analysis".

Sometimes this is a no brainer. I only ever got caught once cutting a set of elliptical ribs to plan only to find that they were as much as 1/16 short in a few cases. Now I'd leave them all an 1/8 to 3/16 long and trim during assembly. Same with the thickness at the trailing edge. It's easy to slightly sand the ribs down but it's a long haul to sand the whole trailing edge down. So the ribs get left long and fat for the last inch unless I'm doing a stack sanded rib block and I can compare the stock to the block.

I hate surprises....
Old 01-20-2003, 09:31 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lines

It doesnt matter how you do it. Just remember that once you do it one way either leaving the line or sanding it off do the same on all parts and they will all be the same.

I like to cut just shy of the line and sand until it just disappears. Plans are never perfect due to weather can cause the paper to shrink expand whatever. but if you stick with the same method of cutting out and sanding your parts they will all be only as good as the plans were no matter how good you are at cutting them all the same you will always have to touch them up when building.

Joe
Old 01-21-2003, 06:33 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now B Matthuse shows he done a bunch a balsa butchering. I leave the line and even a bit more depending on where the part has to go. Plans are not created equal some distortion can exist from plan to plan and weather it was copied , printed or hand inked.
I have even cut parts from plans that were not close to fitting. So leave the line and a little more.
Don't ya just hate having a pretty box of parts that don't fit.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

With my trusty Exacto blade, I just split the line right down the middle, in two!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Donk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I design a rib I make sure that if there is to be any sanding done it will be the rib, not the spar or trailing edge.
Also I leave the ribs 1/8 long because some guys like to notch into the trailing edge. Sure enough, I get some *****ing because they had to trim the length. How sad!
Plans can have some distortion due to the copy process or the weather so you have to do some "fudging" occasionally. Best to have the parts a bit "proud" as was suggested...