Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Spitfire cockpit interior details....

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Spitfire cockpit interior details....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 AM
rethmeier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitfire cockpit interior details....

Hi there,

I am building a Spitfire MK IX 1/7th scale.

I have a lot of picturesof real planes, but the only thing that's missing is a couple of photo's and/or drawings of cockpit floors for me to scratchbuild?

May be someone peeked in a lifesize cockpit more thoroughly than me?

I hope that someone can hep me out there!

Thx many times in advance!

Cheers!

Joost Rethmeier from The Netherlands
Old 11-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire cockpit interior details....

Joost, send me a private email and I will reply with some pictures that may be of use to you.

Chad Veich
[email protected]
Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM
kdc

There was a series of articles about detailing a DB Models kit Spitfire by Rob Millinship published in Radio Control Scale Aircraft (English magazine published by Argus-now Nexus/Highbury/Encanta/Magicalia ) starting with the October/November 1990 issue and continuing to 1992.
The issue for August/ September 1991 gave details of how the cockpit iems were constructed and gave 2 photos of the cockpit interior. the author had photographed the Spitfire in the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight whilst it was dis-assembled. He made a fantastically detailed model which was displayed at the 1992 Model Engineer Exhibition in London.
If you can find a copy of this mag you will get some ideas about constructing cockpit items. I have a copy but I do not think I can copy the photos so you could see the detail properly.

The floor of the cockpit is not really visible in the photos because it is mostly obscured by the seat, instrument panel, control column and throttle quadrants etc. These seem to be the items to model. However this was really a flying model of museum quality and probably more detailed than most flying models.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Technically there is no floor in a Spit cockpit, just a couple of channels for the pilot to step on. Joost, I got your email and I'll send the pics tomorrow morning when I can get back on my home computer.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:12 AM
Merlin65

Hello Joost,
Try here. http://www.simhardware.org/
Arguably the best Spit cockpit reference you will find. Spend a bit of time on the site and you will find everything you need.
--
Merlin65
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 AM
rethmeier

Hello there.

Thanks for this tip. The only thing is that I'm sure that I'm not going to find these magazines in time for my project to be finished.

is there no way you could get some clear digital pictures and email these to me?

Thanks ever so much for thinking with me.

Regards,

Joost