Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

How do I know what my air foil is

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How do I know what my air foil is

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:03 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I know what my air foil is

I got a cad programe. The program has allot of air foils in it. How do I find out was air foil I have and want to make a wing for?
Paul
Old 11-12-2006, 02:42 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: How do I know what my air foil is

If they are not named then you're out of luck. There's just no way to look at an airfoil and know wnat it is other than that it's "like a snodgrass 12%" or "gee, that looks like a Clark N" or "it's very close to an Eppler 999". It's just far too easy to make an airfoil that LOOKS like a properley tested brand name airfoil but in reaility isn't that close.

But the good news is that unless you're into serious glider flying you do NOT need something super fancy. It's far more important to get an airfoil with the best thickness and camber for the job at hand and that has a more or less "normal" NACA sort of shape. Not too sharp and not too blunt and with the maximum thickness point around the 30 to 33% point.

For a program that shows you lots of airfoils and that has names to go with them I suggest downloading Profili2 from www.profili2.com .
Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 AM
snap it
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tellspin_37

I got a cad programe. The program has allot of air foils in it. How do I find out was air foil I have and want to make a wing for?
Paul

What CAD Program are you running?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 PM
KI8FR

wingmaster
Old 11-12-2006, 03:41 PM
snap it

With Wingmaster can you lay out a tapered wing? Can you choose the length and thickness of your ribs, spar location, than print each rib to use as a template "scale"? I downloaded it but I don't think it's the entire version. I'm looking for a CAD program that can do all that stuff. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:04 PM
KI8FR

lol no prob I just got the program from the link that was sent before your repliy. Im having a hard time getting ruining it.. I see in to program has a part were I can make templates for foam wings. but I cant find it in the program I hope I do not have to by the thing to use it one time..
Old 11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
snap it

I'm having the same problem. I think you need to buy it for the full version. I'm going to call Tower Hobbies to see if they know anything about it. If I here any info from them I'll let you know.

P.S. Tower has it for 45$, its less from them than it is from Upperspace.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:15 PM
KI8FR

Thanks I would like to know.
Paul
Old 11-13-2006, 12:54 PM
F86_SABRE

Guys,
Check out Compufoil 3D ( http://www.compufoil.com/index.shtml ). Very good program and gets updated regularly. Can also see the wing in 3D format and one could turn the wing around and look into inside of the proposed wing. The program has a lot of features - if you get the whole program. In case of problems you can email the guy and you would get a reply within 24 hrs.
Nothing to grumble about.

Reuben
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Time Pilot

I've read some of a book called Basics of R/C Model Aircraft Design by Andy Lennon from the publishers of Model Airplane News, and while it's not a book that is written for beginners (at least not this beginner), I found that if I stuck with it enough, and reread and reread, it finally started making some sense.

I also found a program on the internet called 'Snack', which computes some information you need when considering different kinds of airfoils. I think I found it here:
http://www.dreesecode.com
but I can't seem to locate the link there anymore. The page is loading strangely on my computer so maybe it's there, but I can't see it.

I am no expert on this, and maybe someone with experience who knows of these resources can make an educated comment on them.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Time Pilot

Found it, I think!

http://www.dreesecode.com/snackr/cya.html