Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Sheet metal for a magnetic building board (supplier in northern NJ)

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Sheet metal for a magnetic building board (supplier in northern NJ)

Old 11-16-2006, 02:12 PM
nickbee
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheet metal for a magnetic building board (supplier in northern NJ)

I’m looking to build a 6’ x 2’ magnetic building board. I’ve seen sheet metal screwed/glued to thick MDF. Does anyone know a good supplier in the northern NJ area that can provide this? Any feedback on this would be great. What thickness metal and MDF was used?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Sheet metal for a magnetic building board (supplier in northern NJ)

When I built mine I looked thru the Yellow pages under metal fabrication, thibking they could tell me where to buy some. As Luck had it they sold to me directly. I bought a 8' x 3' piece of 14 gauge for $55. Non galvenized. I then took it home and sanded it with a rotory machine starting with 80 grit then 150, and finnally 220 grit, Then a couple of coats of Car wax on it.

As for how it works, Couldn't be better!! Just started a 41% Pitts Model 12 on it last week, using the magnets its made for one of the easiest builds yet. Perfect alignment, then glue it up. I couldn't be happier!

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17313.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	561415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27310.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	561416  
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
nickbee

very cool Jeff!

I found a place and ordered a 6X2 piece. Going to glue / screw it down to a thick piece of MDF. I was thinking about painting but I like your idea of sanding / waxing.

Thanks for the post!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:39 PM
nickbee

BTW FL, what kind of wood did you use under the metal? I'm thinkingof usind the thickest / flatest MDF I can find, then seal it. what did you do?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

I used 1/2" MDF and built a torsion box for the table. Its 1/2' MDF top and Bottom with an MDF grid / honeycomb in the center. I then banded the torsion box with Oak, leaving it about 3/16 proud of the top. I dropped my sheet metal in place, then used a flush trim router bit to even the top up. I didn'y use anything to hold the sheet metal down other than gravity. With the 14 gauge steel its not going anywhere, plus if I want to I can remove it and drop 1/4 tempered glass in for a glass covering table.

JEff
Old 11-19-2006, 09:05 PM
nickbee

Very cool Jeff.

I was talking to a family member in the glass biz tonight. I think I’m going to go with a piece of thick plate glass and RTV the sheet metal to it. This is going in a basement so I’m worried about MDF warping eventually. Glass on the other hand should be ok.