Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Best CAD for under $100

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:57 AM
darinself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best CAD for under $100

What is the best CAD program for creating RC airplanes for under $100?
Old 11-25-2006, 05:31 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Best CAD for under $100

Please run a Search for "cad" within this forum. It'a a very, very popular topic and a quick search will result in a couple of evenings worth of reading of back material.

Also while you can draw the plans with it the program won't make any decisions for you. You still need to have a firm grounding in the aerodynamic and structural principles needed. Sorry if that's elementary but more than one person has thought the program was going to do the hard work for them.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:16 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

One of the really good cad systems is CADKEY

You can find it on ebay if you keep looking for around $100.00. It is a true 3-D cad system, and it does SPLINES. Splines are absolutely a necessity when designing airplanes. It's an old system (as computer software goes) so you will want cadkey 97, or 98 , or 99 or version 19+ (all for windows)

and, as BMatthews said...it won't do the work for you. Be aware that there is a STEEP LEARING CURVE, and if you don't have someone to help you, or you can't learn from a book, you will quickly become frustrated and give up. It is a BIG LEAP from a 3-view drawing to a 3-dimensional drawing. I tried and gave up several years ago, but with the help of a very experienced user, and airplane designer, I have been able to pick it up and learn it. Also, this is not something which you can do very fast (design an airplane). I've been working on a Ju87 D/G Stuka since May, (Follow this link to see the results so far:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=6074&PN=2

and i'm still a long way away from sending drawings off to the laser cutter. Granted, I'm trying to design a totally scale model, to be offered as a kit, using factory drawings, and manuals etc. etc., but be aware that to do it right....IT TAKES time. It is very rewarding, but alot of work.

Chuck
Old 11-26-2006, 04:03 AM
darinself

Thanks for the info fellas,
I am fairly new to the RC aiplane world, but love it. I want to get started in designing and building ASAP, so I have time to improve. These are all long term plans. I love learning things as much as building, so I think it will all work out. Would you also recommend TurboCad as well? People either love it or hate it.

I couldn't view your plane, warbird. The site gave me the internet equivalent of "No soup for you." I hope you watch Seinfield, or that will make no sense at all. Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:23 PM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a FREE cad? Try:

http://www.solidedge.com/

Look for the free offer, totally free 2d CAD. Unlimited license.