Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

sheeting foam

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:16 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sheeting foam

do most people put their wings in both shucks .? i'm thinking i should sheet the tops and bottoms
of the wings while their in the shucks with weight on top. last time i tried polyurethane glue, never again. any ideas would be apreciated

thanks

Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Props4ever

Default RE: sheeting foam

Here is a thread that will help you...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5009047/tm.htm
Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: typhoonfury

do most people put their wings in both shucks .? i'm thinking i should sheet the tops and bottoms
of the wings while their in the shucks with weight on top. last time i tried polyurethane glue, never again. any ideas would be apreciated

thanks
The Bible for sheeting foam wings:

http://www.mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm

What was it about the PU glue you didn't like? Properly used it makes an excellent wing sheeting glue, but it does have it's quirks. A lot of people use epoxy laminating resin with excellent results, as well. Before PU glues, epoxy was the lightest choice and is still a good way to go.

You always sheet cores in the shucks, unless you have no option. You can either use weights and flat boards on the shucks or vacuum bagging to apply pressure to the skins and cores while the glue cures. Either way, you need a dead flat table and top board or you will build in a warp that does not come out after the glue is cured. If using weights, use far more weight than you think is necessary - 200+lb is a good place to start for medium sized wing panels (say 250+sqin). If you think that sounds like too much, consider that 7in of vacuum is equivalent to 3.4psi and will apply a force of 1700lb to a 500sqin wing panel. All without damaging the foam core.

Mark
Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PU is a great way to sheet a set of wings. I did two sets back in 1998 that are still going strong after lots of cartwheel-thru-the LZ type crashes.

Lots of weight is key, but as I recall I used about 2-3 cases of beer and it worked with no problem. For the weight, that is..
Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 AM
kdc

In Britain most foam wings are veneered with obeche veneer instead of balsa. We use a contact adhesive such as Copydex ( latex ) which is diluted with water and applied to foam and veneer and left to dry. After 15 to 30 minutes the glue dries and the veneer is applied to the foam. Then the excess veneer is trimmed.

Very different to your method. Lasts well too.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
jvigani

Pu is my adhesive of choice for sheeting wings. It's light, cures faster than epoxy, and gives a great bond. I have done it by weighting the shucks and by vacuum bagging. I prefer the vacuum bag method. I use 8 inches of vacuum. Here's some shots of my latest project using PU. 1/16 inch balsa over 1 lb foam core.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27512.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	579465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63520.jpg
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	579466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83108.jpg
Size:	284.7 KB