Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Plans from a 3-view

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 04:50 AM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans from a 3-view

Just going to try and draw up some plans from a 3 view set of drawings. I have altered control line plans before to change them to RC, but this is quit a bit different. I know I have to leave some of the stuff to my imagination, but is there a few good tips or a good set of rules that I need to go by? Or is it trial and error....
Old 01-25-2003, 11:36 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plans from a 3-view

Darren

Not sure here, but are you altering or creating model plans from a set of 3-views of an actual A/C or 3-views from a set of model plans?

If you are creating a model A/C from little 3-view drawings like in Koo-Koo Fan, I would derive and hold all measurements in full size. Do the outlines, hinge areas, panel lines, and all that other detail in full size. It is easier to think of a rivet head in full size than one in model size.

Autocad then has the ability of import each of the three views into yet another drawing editor that is set up for proportional or full size model scale. You can pop back to the Topview, add in some details, and then pop over to the model views and read it like you plan on creating. There is no "tracing" movements in this. However, you can then snap to linework on the reduced size views and add in appropriate bulkheads, model hardware etc. and create a tracing. This is easy, once you get the hang of it. I am not sure how "other-CAD" handles this function.

If you are working up radio control plans from controlline 3-views, you pretty well know what to do. You have to assemble the views, deterimine the sections, and establish the proper airfoil to be used. Then, you need to alter the plans to fit the new information or alter what you have. Controlline A/C tend to have a Zero angle on wing incidence. You will need to dig out the appropriate model A/C design books and make sure the ratios noted are correct.. With a CAD set-up, you should be able to snap out a wing area, etc, then alter the tail moment etc. Controlline models tend to be a bit shorter than radio models in this.

Wm.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:47 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3 Views

Yes what Coos said.
Another thing I do diff than him is I use Corel Draw rather than autocad same thing basically with an exception. Corel will enlarge you raster image without makeing your lines thicker which is a great help.

I have the full set of Paul Matt CD's and he has every itty mitty measurement you can think of on them the only problem is out of the 4 cds a lot of the plans are for the unusual or sometimes common old timer planes and not too many warbirds. What i Do is to import the 3 view and trace it exactly as it is every measurement panel line everything. Then when I am done with all the text and drawing I delete the raster image and resize the vectors to the scale I want. I then make a second copy of the file. that one I store away for detailing as all the panel lines hatches etc are at the proper dimensions so I can use that when I detail. I take the second file and delete everything from it not needed for the plans like panel lines etc but keep the hatches as you can draw in the framework for them if you make them working hatches. I then mirror image the fuse formers which are usually drawn on the 3 views and work with them drawing in a cruth on the top view and transferring it's location for the notches to the fuse formers. I then will normally stack a copy of the fuse formers on top of each other each with a diff color using the centering lines as reference and do whatever other notches I need like draw lines for stringers etc then duplicate this the same number of times as formers I have and just delete the other formers this will leave you with the locations needed and the former it will go on . edit the former as needed and there you have it. for wings i have a friend has compufoil you have all the measurements you need for the wing there and usually will list the airfoil needed and washout you input this into compufoil or ask someone who has it to whip you out a set of ribs and if they have all the mopdules it will plot you a wing plane and you basically set to build with the exception of drawing the framework into the fuse side view.

I did it this exact same way with the Lockheed Hudson Bomber I am doing in 1/6th scale. I just have to do a little monir work and the plans will be done. at the rate i am getting to have a chance to work on them might be done this fall for my winter project.

Joe