Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Funtana 40 scratch build

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Funtana 40 scratch build

Has anyone built this plane from the plans that are floating around? I have planes in Italian, and probably the same plans in Spanish in a file that I can't open. I'm thinking about starting this plane in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:22 AM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 40 scratch build

Can you snd me a copy of the plans?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:03 AM
blw

RVM,

You can get them here: http://www.rcblueprints.com/

You can get the DXF file format reader for Windows and Mac OS at: http://www.solidworks.com/pages/prod...eDrawings.html

It's easier for you to get them than for me to send the files. Plus, you would need the reader program. It works well and is easy to use.

I've followed a Funtana 40 thread here and it looks like the plans are dead on with the model. Also, I've seen one at the field up close. The plans are simple, but look complete and well done. I plan to start in a week when my current kit project is finished and flying. Let me know if you decide to build it. You should definately read the Hangar 9 Funtana thread about the leading edge problems and fixes: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45..._1/key_/tm.htm. It is said to be a great model once the leading edges are modified.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
gosk8ing

Hey,

I started building a Katana 40 from scratch and found the most expensive part was the composite wing joiner. It cost me about $80. I would recommend you buy an ARF, its alot cheaper.

Cheers
Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
LN-JET

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great drawing!
I have an original Funtana 40 that needs a new front fuse.
The fiberglass cowling on the Funtana is a really ugly looking part,
anyone have ideas for a re-designed nose?

regards

Lars
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 PM
blw

Those are pretty well drawn plans by somebody. I heard from someone in South America who wanted a copy of what I had. He had the same plans annotated in Spanish. He sent me his file but it wouldn't open.

If you go here and look at post 137 you will see a good reason to build your own and not trust the ARFs: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45..._6/key_/tm.htm. There's no way I'm buying a Funtana built that crappy. Maybe your Katana is also built much better and stronger???

I have a lot of wood sitting here just for building. Why not build it? The only costs to me would be the cowl, canopy, and control horns. I think I have everything else here now. Way cheaper to scratch build it.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gosk8ing

Hey,

I started building a Katana 40 from scratch and found the most expensive part was the composite wing joiner. It cost me about $80. I would recommend you buy an ARF, its alot cheaper.

Cheers
Where did you buy it and exactly what was it? You can buy a carbon wing joiner tube and sleeve big enough for a 2M pattern plane for less than that. That's highway robbery at best. Central Hobbies sells aluminum joiner tube sets for less than $20...

If you are simply rating building vs. ARF on a cost basis, you have missed the point entirely. Go buy a crappy ARF (there is a reason why they are cheap) and be happy with it. If you prefer to KNOW that your plane is built straight, with proper glue joints and correct wood selection, along with the pride of crafting your own model, then build it yourself.

Mark
Old 12-28-2006, 07:33 PM
kevin pelletier
My Feedback: (2)

that sucks i tried to download the plans and my comouter says its either invaled or corrupted when i try to open it
Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 PM
blw

Kevin,

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the files.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 PM
kevin pelletier

blw thanks for the plans. ive made some changes to them im not a big fan of the fuse so i made mine with a 2 piece wing. heres where im at so far
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57743.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	597806  
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM
RVM

Would you send me a set of the plans once you've finished modifying them?

How much more weight do you think having a 2-piece wing will add?

ORIGINAL: kevin pelletier

blw thanks for the plans. ive made some changes to them im not a big fan of the fuse so i made mine with a 2 piece wing. heres where im at so far

Old 01-15-2007, 03:45 PM
kevin pelletier

RVM will do. as far as weight goes im not sure how much more it will add but i think it wil be minimal. i did think about that but decided to go this way for a stronger fuse.

pm me your email adress

does anyone have another link to the leading edge thread the link here doesnt seem to be working
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
RVM

Are you going to try and correct the problems with the original Funtana?

I was thinking that adding an airfoiled tail section would improve its performance quite a bit. Does this seem feasible?

RVM will do. as far as weight goes im not sure how much more it will add but i think it wil be minimal. i did think about that but decided to go this way for a stronger fuse.

pm me your email adress

does anyone have another link to the leading edge thread the link here doesnt seem to be working
Old 01-15-2007, 08:19 PM
kevin pelletier

not quite sure what you mean? what are the problems? as far as the airfoiled tail is seems fesible but does add tail weight with the extra ablsa and tail tube. you would have to move the elevator down but it should work
ORIGINAL: RVM

Are you going to try and correct the problems with the original Funtana?

I was thinking that adding an airfoiled tail section would improve its performance quite a bit. Does this seem feasible?

pm me your email adress

Old 02-04-2007, 06:59 AM
blw

Kevin- Thanks for the plan mods. That looks pretty good. I haven't started on mine yet due to illness. I did measure the spars from the plans, and they are less than 1/4 x 1/4. Not enough. Definately 1/4 x 1/2 spruce on mine with shear webs.

RVM- Are you talking about the flexing elevators where some people are using CF as a fix? I'm going to use balsa sheeting with lightening holes instead of stick construction. Same for the rudder.

I guess you could add sheeting to the tail section surfaces and then sand them for a small airfoil shape, but I agree that the stab would have to be lowered. I'm going to build mine as-is first and see how it flies.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:11 PM
kevin pelletier

yeah i havent started on it yet either. on the tail im just going to stick build and sheet and round the edges im hoping to start soon.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
blw

Kevin,

Can you send me the fuselage file to my email address? I'll send you my wing mods with the larger spars when I get those done.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 AM
kwmorris
My Feedback: (4)

Need a little help. I crashed my funtana 40.[:@][:@][&o] It destroyed the fuselage but the wing is still in good shape the. I was wondering if I could get a copy of the blueprints of the fuselage that you are talking about. I tried to find them on the Internet and had no luck. All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin M.[&o]
Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 PM
z

I got the plans as well I had always wanted a funtana but I am less than satisfied with Hangar 9's build quality so when I get around to it ill build my own!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 PM
rzarikian

Hi, does anyone know where I can finf the funtana40's original plans? I got an ARF (think is a big mistake) so I wanted to build my own. If someone has the original plans it would be of GREAT help. thanks a lot!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 AM
RVM

Can anyone email me a copy of the plans? I lost mine.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
z

Here is my website it has the plans on the homepage. I will set it up as a download for you all. http://3dplanes.tripod.com/ Click on the link that says download funtana plans it in white lettering and is underlined!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 PM
z

Here is a sample!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13612.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	668650  
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
RVM

These plans won't work for me.

I get error messages when trying to open them.

ORIGINAL: z

Here is my website it has the plans on the homepage. I will set it up as a download for you all. http://3dplanes.tripod.com/ Click on the link that says download funtana plans it in white lettering and is underlined!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM
z

You have to have cad or a free DWG veiwer and I can get you a link for the DWG veiwer. Here is the free DWG viewer http://www.download.com/Free-DWG-Vie...-10066135.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.